Login

russian armor

Conscripts cost-ineffective against OKW?

17 Aug 2014, 19:13 PM

I'm having trouble getting my money's worth with regards to using conscripts against OKW. Both volks and sturmpios seem to reliably fight back cons, and scale better against them in the long run, which makes maintaining conscripts cost-inefficient into the late game. Unless I go 5-6 cons it's hard to make them have a presence, but if I do that I run the risk of the enemy going MG-34s or Obersoldatens and making it even more harder for me to get around and get my money's worth. Getting conscripts to supplement a fast t2 build seems redundant since maxims are 6 models, 240mp, 15mp to reinforce, can supress, and can stay on the field longer. A t1 build with cons seems sort of viable due to the lack of AT but I feel the mp can be better spent on snipers and guards or even going back to t2.

Don't know if I'm doing something wrong; so I'm gonna need some input.
17 Aug 2014, 19:17 PM

Everything is cost innefective againts OKW.

Going T2 maxims + shocks or gaurds + zis is by far the best (and probaly the only viable) strategy vs OKW at the moment. That or barton strat
17 Aug 2014, 19:56 PM

yeah cons even with ppsh's don't stack well against okw
17 Aug 2014, 20:58 PM

cons are so much useless against OKWE in mid and late game, in early they can do good damage to volks but they lose to sturmpios, late is obvious, cons can't stand a chance vs Obersoldats or fusilliers
17 Aug 2014, 21:18 PM

As much as I like the capping power of cons, it seems rushing t2 is the safest bet for the long run, or going fast scout car into guards/sniper. A shame, cause' going heavy t2 is kinda monotonous albeit it is safe and less mp bleeding apart from initial unit costs.
17 Aug 2014, 22:53 PM

Cons are worthless in mid&late game against OKW.
That's why maximspam into guards and shocks is the new meta.
19 Aug 2014, 08:15 AM

isnt this the same issue with gren spam with lmg's ? suffice to say you need combined arms and spamming maxims or scripts is really not going to work against the okw as you need both.
19 Aug 2014, 08:38 AM

LMG42 grens are easier to deal with than OKW infantry. Primarily because their LMG requires them to stay still, and it only starts to fire when the unit has stopped moving for a second and a half or so. Grens also have a long range grenade that you can avoid by getting close to them. In practice this leads to situations where if grens are attacking, they lose a few seconds of DPS because they have to move into cover. These few seconds allow for an Oorah rush + molotov to force even more seconds where the LMG42 is not dealing damage. You are also not in danger of getting rifle naded when you do this.
Having say, 4 conscripts and 2 maxims is therefore quite good against Wehrmacht.

OKW infantry does not have these problems. They are harder to rush and have short range grenades. This leaves conscripts with very little to do because they don't have good long range DPS. So you are better of getting say 2 conscripts and 4 maxims instead of the other way around.
19 Aug 2014, 09:30 AM

Relic really tried too hard to implement the whole "quality vs quantity" for soviets.

What we have now is the complete collapse of the soviet faction as a whole.

The support weapon becomes the main line infantry, and the main line infantry becomes the support weapon....

Back in coh 1, ALL sides, no exceptions, had decent - well scaling infantry.

USA - rifles with BARS, altho mediocre at late game without vet, if you managed to get some vet 2 vet 3 rifles they were terminators.

Wehrmacht - grenadiers and KCH

Brits- Infantry section

PE - Panzergrenadiers.

Now in coh 2, all sides have "decent" non doctrinal inf , except SOVIETS.

And even then, the best soviet infantry - gaurds with DP, are on par with LMG grens - the starting wehrmacht infantry..

Tbh, i don't see the problem with making conscripts and penals scale better, at the cost of soviet snipers basically being a copy of the wehrmacht sniper, that way soviet snipers have more killing power, but are also more fragile due to higher DPs. And maxims that function more like normal machine guns instead of mainline infantry.

19 Aug 2014, 09:38 AM

I have seen Conscripts beat Sturms plenty of times, both playing as Soviet and as Okw.

Conscripts are decent, they are really hard to kill/dislodge especially at Vet 3.
19 Aug 2014, 10:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Aug 2014, 09:30 AMBurts
Relic really tried too hard to implement the whole "quality vs quantity" for soviets.

What we have now is the complete collapse of the soviet faction as a whole.

The support weapon becomes the main line infantry, and the main line infantry becomes the support weapon....

Back in coh 1, ALL sides, no exceptions, had decent - well scaling infantry.

USA - rifles with BARS, altho mediocre at late game without vet, if you managed to get some vet 2 vet 3 rifles they were terminators.

Wehrmacht - grenadiers and KCH

Brits- Infantry section

PE - Panzergrenadiers.

Now in coh 2, all sides have "decent" non doctrinal inf , except SOVIETS.

And even then, the best soviet infantry - gaurds with DP, are on par with LMG grens - the starting wehrmacht infantry..

Tbh, i don't see the problem with making conscripts and penals scale better, at the cost of soviet snipers basically being a copy of the wehrmacht sniper, that way soviet snipers have more killing power, but are also more fragile due to higher DPs. And maxims that function more like normal machine guns instead of mainline infantry.

The issue is that the penals are not working as well as they should but that goes for any infantry unit using a carbine.
19 Aug 2014, 10:50 AM

LMG42 grens are easier to deal with than OKW infantry. Primarily because their LMG requires them to stay still, and it only starts to fire when the unit has stopped moving for a second and a half or so. Grens also have a long range grenade that you can avoid by getting close to them. In practice this leads to situations where if grens are attacking, they lose a few seconds of DPS because they have to move into cover. These few seconds allow for an Oorah rush + molotov to force even more seconds where the LMG42 is not dealing damage. You are also not in danger of getting rifle naded when you do this.
Having say, 4 conscripts and 2 maxims is therefore quite good against Wehrmacht.

OKW infantry does not have these problems. They are harder to rush and have short range grenades. This leaves conscripts with very little to do because they don't have good long range DPS. So you are better of getting say 2 conscripts and 4 maxims instead of the other way around.

Thats hooting yourself in the foot if your opponent gets a luchs out.
19 Aug 2014, 12:28 PM

Conscripts ... what are those ... I don't even build them early game anymore.
Maxims & mortars until I can call in shock troops and an engineer turning everything into a mine field, a Zis when needed.
I might build them to replace front line weapon teams as required.
or throw an AT grenade ... that's all they are good for now.
19 Aug 2014, 14:52 PM

Didn't you know? conscripts are soviet peasants who can barely shoot a rifle! They were made to throw into the meatgrinder!! They suck because Soviets obviously lack training and only receive a rifle for every two men! Adding to this, Axis were so elite with their uber soldiers and their crazy tanks! Axis were the best at everything! If there is another is another faction with better equipment than Axis, that just means they are OP and need a nerf.
19 Aug 2014, 17:53 PM
Patrion 310

Penals should have good synergy with cons merge ability and ideally that should have been soviet's main line infantry.
Instead Soviet are limited to boring cheesy inf play, especially against OKW.

19 Aug 2014, 18:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Aug 2014, 10:50 AMJaigen

Thats hooting yourself in the foot if your opponent gets a luchs out.

Not really, Luchs also decimate conscripts. Plus the OKW player would not even need a Luchs, he could just get obersoldaten or some other elite infantry to manpowerbleed the conscripts.
20 Aug 2014, 03:57 AM

I find it odd that the Soviets don't have mainline infantry, that is to say, strelky. Either you get peasants basically forced into service (conscripts) or super elite doctrinal units (guards/shocks).

To be on topic, you basically shouldn't use conscripts against OKW. Just get maybe one squad to be a meatshield for you snipers or maxims until you get doctrinal infantry out. That's just the way the Soviets are designed to fight OKW.
20 Aug 2014, 04:02 AM

Yeah conscripts are worthless late game. They are decent early and midgame; i do get some nice kills and some vet on them. They can get wrecked by sturmpios though. Sturm pios can run across an open field and still get close enough to smash conscripts.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★