Login

russian armor

RELIC LOOKING FOR MAP FEEDBACK!

21 Aug 2014, 22:09 PM

The huge balance problem we have in team games is the maps. Conceptually, Axis are two very defensive factions where as Allies are very mobile and very aggressive. In 1v1's or on some 2v2 maps such as Moscow Outskirts Allies are able to make use of their aggressive and mobile units. However due to all of the chokepoint, cluttered and blobby maps that occupy 3v3, 4v4 and the majority of 2v2 maps, it means that flanking and outmanoeuvring your opponent is impossible so it's all about blobs vs blobs, support weapons verse support weapons, tanks vs tanks over the exact same points.

This whole post +1000. Perfectly stated and well written. Additionally, I despise Semois as a 2v2 map... too small and too many chokepoints.
22 Aug 2014, 01:19 AM

this is mainly for team maps (4 players and up). I think maps need less symmetry, especially 8 player maps. All the larger maps feel like one side of the map was made then a paper was folded over and thats the other side.

1v1 maps doesnt have this problem as bad.

Less symmetry is always more interesting.
22 Aug 2014, 01:49 AM

Please remove Crossing in the Woods from the 2v2 pool!

22 Aug 2014, 07:31 AM

It's worth noting that if you do remove certain features from a map. Please put something in its place. Road to Kharkov lost all its Road to Kharkovness when the buildings were removed, its painfully obvious and feels wrong.
22 Aug 2014, 14:16 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Aug 2014, 16:46 PMZ3r07
First off, I think we should go 1 map at a time per map size, too many comments about too many maps.

My first comment would be about Stalingrad. If it's going to stay in the rotation, it needs a major overhaul in the middle. I would remove all buildings from the middle of the map and flatten the ground. Add some obstacles, maybe a big round fountain like in Enemy at the Gates :D

I think that would actually make it from a awful map to a good map.

Yes fully agree. Stalingrad is the only map I was genuinely disappointed with, since it was such an iconic battleground. In an RTS-title centered around the eastern front, it should be an amazing map.

Its main problem is that there are no distinctive places to fight over. Everything looks the same. While there are a lot of interesting places you could map. I fully agree with a big open square in the middle, which would hugely improve the map. Here some suggestions:

Actual square in Stalingrad before the war

The Tractor Factory

The last commanding post of General Paulus of the 6th Army

Pavlovs House (prominent for several hard battles, lays a bit in the open)

Steel Factory "Red October"
22 Aug 2014, 23:18 PM

La Gleize east cut off for the fuel actually does N O T cut of the fuel while the west one does. This needs to be fixed.
3 of 3 Relic postsRelic 23 Aug 2014, 05:48 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Hey everyone,

I'm still actively reading through everything in this thread. some good feedback here for sure. I'll most likely create threads on specific maps down the road but it's good to get an overall sense of everything map related.

23 Aug 2014, 06:20 AM
Patrion 15

In my opinion, Vaux Farmlands is the ideal 2v2 map. The flanking routes are amazing, units like the jagd and the isu are still strong, but are vulnerable. It's large enough to allow armies to maneuver and battles don't break down into a slugfest because of cramped conditions. There is room to breathe, and it feels amazing. I <444>3 farmlands.
23 Aug 2014, 08:39 AM
Donator 11

In my opinion, Vaux Farmlands is the ideal 2v2 map. The flanking routes are amazing, units like the jagd and the isu are still strong, but are vulnerable. It's large enough to allow armies to maneuver and battles don't break down into a slugfest because of cramped conditions. There is room to breathe, and it feels amazing. I <444>3 farmlands.

Yes! Besides the balanced layout, the distinctive battlegrounds and the perfect "Building-to-open space-ratio", it's the beautiful green of the grass which makes this map amazing! :)

Best map in the 2v2-pool.

23 Aug 2014, 09:12 AM
Patrion 14

+1.

but on jagd.. i don't know if it is OP yet but it is completely op in maps like Lazur Factory & 3v3+ Ettelbruck Station due to it not being affected by buildings and those maps don't have enough room for aliies armours to swarm it
23 Aug 2014, 16:07 PM

Eagleheart, I think that the maps in the current 1v1 rotation are generally too closed in. There are very few areas where long range vehicles or AT guns can shine. I would like another map or two like Langres, where there are some nice wide areas for maneuver as well as some areas where sneaking around buildings and shot blockers can happen. The maps added for WFA just have too many buildings and chokepoints.
24 Aug 2014, 10:59 AM

Could we have more 4v4 maps?
24 Aug 2014, 13:12 PM

HiEagleheart,

I not write often on the forums but play COH series for many years, predominantly MP.

My biggest frustration with MAPS is buildings..

Why cant heavy armor not crush fully certain wooden buildings. Sometimes I watch tank movement and think why is the tank so slow and turning so carefully in real life he would be able to go over some rubble. And where is ability for soviets to just sit on their armor?
Tank riders, so conscripts can ride with armor??

I think that now with COH2 sega should look to add the feature that heavy tanks can drive through wooden buildings and over rubble, through trees etc (even t34) could do that.

This feature will solve many problems where people write about lack of flanking capability.

Furthermore:
some Maps lack a good centre with a point which is easy recognisable, either a statue or a bigger building.

In the map selection list for 3v3 and 4v4 should more maps be added and the option given to deselect a few more.
Obviously map Hillblabla map is set up okay, but has to much mud.

Something Of topic, please tell your colleagues that I am so annoyed with some units not being able to destroy infantry at all, which is not realistic, units to be buffed or mg to be attached:

- Elefant
- Jagdpanzer
- Jackson

Also I not understand why the Thunderbolt run as a fairly expensive ability is only limited to destroy armour with, it should be allowed to target infantry with it as well.
The explosions scatter etc. of Thunderbolt run is in my opinion to humble and looks more like small modern milan or TOW rockets coming in, not as raw as it looked at that time with smoke stripes still present and huge explosions where armor got flipped over..

So I think enough to think about

25 Aug 2014, 13:23 PM
Senior Editor Badge

In my opinion, Vaux Farmlands is the ideal 2v2 map.

and Moscow :P

We need more open maps (for flankings) and less cluster maps.
25 Aug 2014, 14:35 PM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 13:23 PMnigo

and Moscow :P

We need more open maps (for flankings) and less cluster maps.

We need more cluster maps and less open maps
25 Aug 2014, 14:50 PM
Senior Editor Badge

open steam, go to CoH 2 workshop. Enjoy!!!!
25 Aug 2014, 15:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

So we can turtle, build artillery and bring the HEAVY TANKS!! ISU n JT/KT all day!

25 Aug 2014, 17:03 PM

La Gleize east cut off for the fuel actually does N O T cut of the fuel while the west one does. This needs to be fixed.

Just a further explanation, this give the south team a huge advantage since the only way for the north team to deny them of "their" fuel (the closest fuel point to the south base) is to capture or neutralize the fuel point itself. This while the south team can cut off the west fuel by simply capturing the strategic cut off point.

Larger picture: http://s27.postimg.org/lfsbqy203/2014_08_25_00002.jpg
27 Aug 2014, 04:05 AM
Patrion 28

old and valid:
http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/coh-2-map-feedback/51937-remove-rostov

i was going to link to another thread i started but it seems to have disappeared when changes were made the the community forum so i'll summerize here

rostov is the worst map in the game for obvious reasons pertaining to the river. remove it from auto match.

hill331 is way to slow due to all the mud; once you lose a side hill you're fighting over the middle. long ranged units (snipers, SU85/jackson/elefant/ISU/JT, mgs)are uncounterable.

moscow outskirts has uneven cutoffs. the northern cutoffs are open on the bottom and closed by a fence on the top and right side with a forest on the left. there is also a building only accessible from the bottom. this makes it really, really hard to defend it since MGs have to go a long way to get a good spot. the southern cutoff is easily defended.
27 Aug 2014, 11:27 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

These are all pathing issues created by elevation, not by the destructible objects that are placed on top of them. I only did the maps I like the most :P
Yellow is debatable as the pathing can be intentionally blocked on these spots and blue is an impass layer that has been added. Both semoisky suffer the most and can explain most issues people have with pathfinding

Moscow outskirts

Semosiky summer

semoisky winter

rails and metal
no issues

vaux farmlands
no issues

la gleize 2p
no issues

kholodny winter

kholodny spring

langres