Login

russian armor

Versus the IS-2

14 Aug 2014, 03:07 AM
Patrion 15

Can anyone give any advice on what to do versus an IS-2 in a 1v1 setting. Not even a panther can penetrate this thing reliably, and it just laughs off raketens. Short of mines or a couple pumas, is there anything that can deal with this beast? The IS-2 feels too mobile for as tanky as it is, and it hits like a truck.
14 Aug 2014, 03:23 AM

Volks and Raketen are really it, it has mediocre AI, so at least it won't squad wipe like the ISU. The King Tiger can take it on, but of course you actually have to get the KT out....
14 Aug 2014, 04:12 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I'm not as highly-ranked as you, but from my experience I'd say Jagdpanzer. kites well and gets a nice HP buff at vet 2. Command panther is nice too, spotting for itself + mark target makes it much more effective than standard panther.
14 Aug 2014, 04:41 AM
Patrion 15

I'm not as highly-ranked as you, but from my experience I'd say Jagdpanzer. kites well and gets a nice HP buff at vet 2. Command panther is nice too, spotting for itself + mark target makes it much more effective than standard panther.

My issue with the Jagdp4 is that it fails to penetrate the frontal armor of the IS-2 far to often to be reliable. This unit seems like it should be a viable counter, and believe me I've tried, but I always end up feeling underwhelmed when using it. It's DPS is just bad. The raketen is decent if you have the luxury of a building, but out in the open it gets decrewed very easily, and trying to keep a vetted raketen alive versus an IS-2 means that you can really only risk taking a few shots before forcing a retreat.

My biggest issue is finishing the damn thing off. Shrecks, raketen, and the jagd can't chase down a retreating IS-2 which means in the long run your just feeding the beast vet. I find myself needing a strong, mobile anti tank vehicle, and the panther doesn't cut the mustard against the IS-2, which leaves me scratching my head with what to do. I'll give the command panther a shot, but in my experience the added sight range doesn't really help because at max range it still has trouble penetrating. Maybe some of the pros can give some insight into the numbers, or what units are designed to deal with this thing, but I really can't find any reason to believe that its not over the top at the moment.

I want to see a replay of OKW tackling an IS-2 in 1v1. I'm sure it's been done, but I want to see it in the context of an evenly matched, reasonably high level game. Any takers?
14 Aug 2014, 04:46 AM

The command panther has a "mark vehicle" ability . It increases damage dealt by a good margin and might be enough to 1v1 a IS-2. With support, it's a dead IS-2.
14 Aug 2014, 05:04 AM
Honorary Member Badge

My issue with the Jagdp4 is that it fails to penetrate the frontal armor of the IS-2 far to often to be reliable. This unit seems like it should be a viable counter, and believe me I've tried, but I always end up feeling underwhelmed when using it. It's DPS is just bad. The raketen is decent if you have the luxury of a building, but out in the open it gets decrewed very easily, and trying to keep a vetted raketen alive versus an IS-2 means that you can really only risk taking a few shots before forcing a retreat.

I want to see a replay of OKW tackling an IS-2 in 1v1. I'm sure it's been done, but I want to see it in the context of an evenly matched, reasonably high level game. Any takers?

I did beat a shocks T2 IS2 soviet player with the command panther-jagdpanzer combo awhile back, and he was reasonably ranked- I believe top 20-30 range.
http://www.coh2.org/replay/20768/1000-efficiency-command-panther-vs-is2s
Unfortunately this was before a patch, so I don't think you can view that ingame. the JP4 has pretty mediocre penetration for a TD- 170 at max range, where you want to fight an IS2- but rate of fire isn't too bad (4.5 seconds per shot) and accuracy means it will never miss when still and hardly ever miss even while reversing. with mines and such you can make sure he can't chase for fear of throwing the IS2 away. In the game I posted, his IS2(s) got away many times- you are right about them being hard to chase if they don't get mined. Regardless, my infantry superiority meant that he had to push with the tanks to make headway, forcing him to take fire.

Eventually the command panther vetted up and became potent enough to chase and put the IS2s down.

and the Rak seems quite poor especially against IS2 if it takes direct fire, so if you don't have stuff to take fire for it (shrecked volks for example) you're right- they don't contribute a huge deal until they vet up.
14 Aug 2014, 13:23 PM

Jagdtiger or PaK43, try them!
14 Aug 2014, 13:48 PM

Send me a replay where you've struggled, I'll get feedback back to you either here or through a PM.
19 Aug 2014, 21:07 PM

Would be good to know for a 2v2 setting as well. double soviet is pretty common at the mo and there is a lot of t34 spam into IS2. One lost puma and it feels like your on the defensive untill you loose.
20 Aug 2014, 09:39 AM

Might not be the answer you are looking for, but... sturmtiger?

iS2 is slowish and big, so easier to hit. And sturmtiger works well with defensive units like raketens cos u can strike with the strum then fall back to a defended position which sometimes causes the enemy to try chase it down.
20 Sep 2014, 07:11 AM

^Sturmtiger is actually surprisingly effective vs heavy tanks like IS2 and ISU. One shot will do a good amount of damage and will almost certainly force the Soviet player to retreat and repair tank. If you have some other AT hit the tank at same time as Sturmtiger you've got a decent chance of killing it
20 Sep 2014, 07:29 AM

I find that PaK 40 placed well on its flanks work, but your are much higher ranked than me.
20 Sep 2014, 19:58 PM

ive been found that any shreck attack raket.....useless vs is2 armor! and when i was waiting for jadgtiger(13c) it came too late and is2 destroyed most units.but everytime i made kingtiger its was good against soviet..also is2 B-)
20 Sep 2014, 20:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

Mines, Pumas, Shreks, avoidance, and patience.

The JP4 does quite well against it. I had a game recently where a JP4 stumbled into an IS2 and they duked it out in an epic tank battle. Ultimately, the IS2 won but was 1 shot from dead. Just couldn't get in there before he got away. The JP4 is an excellent tank destroyer, and with a little support should handle an IS2.
20 Sep 2014, 20:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2014, 20:14 PMOhme
Mines, Pumas, Shreks, avoidance, and patience.

The JP4 does quite well against it. I had a game recently where a JP4 stumbled into an IS2 and they duked it out in an epic tank battle. Ultimately, the IS2 won but was 1 shot from dead. Just couldn't get in there before he got away. The JP4 is an excellent tank destroyer, and with a little support should handle an IS2.

I also like the Jpz4, but I think Dane heavily disagrees with us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVCbskuYiK4
23 Sep 2014, 09:25 AM
Benefactor 340

Not kidding:

Elite Armor Doctrine`s HEAT Rounds on the JAgdpanzer IV do the Trick against the IS2.

For 45 Munitions the JPzIV will be able to handle an IS2 in a reliable and solid way.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight