Login

russian armor

Countering pure Con spam

7 Aug 2014, 04:50 AM

I just faced a strategy that completely wrecked me. Advanced Warfare Commander, Pure con spam (8 in total) + PPsH and a lot of Oorah, no tech, multiple T34-85 call ins.

By the time I realized it was pure spam, I'd already selected my doctrine (Scavenge). The map was Langreskaya and that's my doctrine of choice for the long-range prowess of Jaeger Light Infantry and a lot of room for the Ostwind to move and kite. I was able to hold my own with my standard BO against Soviets (Sturmpio, 3 Volks, 2 JLI, Med Truck, ISG, raketen). Even managed to hold both fuels for a while. But as more and more Cons got upgraded with PPsH's, I started to lose ground. Got my Ostwind at 8CP and figured it was time to punish the spam, but between the Cons swarming the Ostwind with AT Grenades and others focusing down my pios (forcing them to retreat instead of repair), it rendered my Ostwind useless for the short period of time it was on the field before he called in his first T34-85, which was followed shortly thereafter by another.

I've been trying to figure out what I should have done differently. One big mistake was calling in a second Ostwind after I managed to take out the first two T34s when he got too aggressive with them. But wouldn't you know it, he had another one waiting...and another shortly after that. Even if I had gone T4 at that point, the Panther wouldn't be able to deal with his tanks. It's not so much the Con spam that was difficult to deal with, but the endless stream of armor thanks to no teching cost needed for the call-ins. By the end of the game, he'd manage to call in six T34-85s. Had I not chosen my commander too soon, maybe I could have spammed MG34s and choked him off the fuel...but 8 cons, mostly with PpSH's could have probably dealt with even 3 MGs without too much difficulty.

Has anyone had any success against this strat as OKW?
7 Aug 2014, 05:56 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

have you thought about using a jagdpanzer? With it's 60 range it is very good on open maps.
7 Aug 2014, 12:08 PM

have you thought about using a jagdpanzer? With it's 60 range it is very good on open maps.

That was actually my plan going in, Ostwind and Jagpanzer, but I decided against it once I realized that I'd be facing an neverending supply of T34-85s, figuring I could have gotten flanked easily. But yeah, that would have been better than the second Ostwind (in hindsight) and going T4 for the Panther as it would have allowed me to play more defensively.
7 Aug 2014, 15:50 PM

I probably would have gone to T4 (Flak Truck) ASAP and invested in Obers and a Luchs. They should be able to handle the conscripts (Luchs can get AT naded, but try to keep it at max range and on the move), and allow you to deny him fuel.
Invest in lots of Puppchens to handle his T34/85s, which should be slower to hit the field.

With an earlier T4, you might have had enough for a panther as well?

This is all theorycrafting, PPsh Cons can take on Obers if they get ambushed etc.
7 Aug 2014, 15:59 PM

Countering conspam is simply not doable, especially not if you use Partisans/Partysans. Usually I get 5-7 conscrips into partisans (moments later) ---> T2 --> T3/T4

Let the spamming begin!
And hell yeah, this tactic is in fact legit, but very microintensive... I have used this the past 4-5 weeks while playing soviet with partisans EVERY GAME... Even fucking Crossing The Woods Kappa
7 Aug 2014, 16:09 PM

Yet, here is a more legit post that might or might not be of use to you, my friend.

Scavenge is by far my favorite doc atm as OKW! (almost pick that every game). What I would do would be to get 1 or maybe even two flack HTs for extreme territorial denial. If you had already build medics, one should consider extra use of JLIs, but retreat them once the squad is starting to lose too much HP, you don't wanna lose any JLIs! after this you should exploit Infiltraiting Tactics. one should have at least 3 volks (consider also getting a kübel for supression, yet this unit has to be supported 24/7 against conspams, due to the fact that it is so damn easy to flank.)

Some also likes the Luchs, P2s, yet I haven't played enough with it to be able to recommend you to use it/not use it! Yet my absolute best choice would be 2 HTs and 2 sturmpios with a lot of volks, at least one JLI. One should remember to get aditional fuel through the Mechanized sWs-truck! Then you will get the Panther faster, which is good against all tanks!

Good luck using anti spamming. but ofc. MGs are the better choice against this, but if you already went with scavenge (Where the infiltration tactics still provide MOFO GREAT anti-blobbing measurements...) then consider doing something from the above.

Keep in mind that you have the following supression-tools:
MG32, Flak HTs, Ostwind, Kübel.
7 Aug 2014, 16:15 PM

I think you should've use 2 sturmpioneers and set up Mechanized HQ first to get flak ht(when pioneers get vet1 put medic supplies near your base to compensate abscence of battlegroup hq). Then upgrade panzerschrecks on your 3 volks and build pumas.
7 Aug 2014, 16:55 PM

This is simply an attrition game you can't win.

-Stormpios/Fusiliers whatever else infantry will drain you too much manpower, making you lose the attrition game over time.

-Volks don't deal enough damage vs inf.

-Flak HT can quite easily be taken out by at-nades alone, and you'll also have the problem that it often shoots the ground instead of the enemy squad.

-MG-34 with the amount of cons around will easily get flanked and even if you manage to keep them at bay, you'll lose your already small map control.

-whatever vehicle you build, it'll get at naded and finished off by the call-in tanks.

-Oorah and molotovs will alow him to easily turn engagements in his favor.

To be honest, if your opponent is half way decent at microing his troops, then I don't see how one can beat this.

:(

7 Aug 2014, 19:30 PM

Im a good soviet, and I do this all the time. Believe me. ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!!!!

Remember this shit, MG34 is really fucking good, HT is shit if used bad. If used correctly, DEFENSIVELY, then it's really fucking good! - you lose to that shit. That's why I always pick partisans with this, cause you can surprise AT-nade the HT and then kill it with shreck/PTRS and AT-nades from cons... - Check my stream, I literally do this, EVERY DAMN DAY :3
7 Aug 2014, 21:17 PM

I've followed you, Lenny. You've got seven hours left in today to do this.
7 Aug 2014, 23:53 PM

Im a good soviet, and I do this all the time. Believe me. ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!!!!

Remember this shit, MG34 is really fucking good, HT is shit if used bad. If used correctly, DEFENSIVELY, then it's really fucking good! - you lose to that shit. That's why I always pick partisans with this, cause you can surprise AT-nade the HT and then kill it with shreck/PTRS and AT-nades from cons... - Check my stream, I literally do this, EVERY DAMN DAY :3

Followed. Look forward to your stream.
9 Aug 2014, 10:03 AM

Followed. Look forward to your stream.

Thank you. I hope that I didnt disapoint you :)
I didnt get to read this before today. Thx for the supper... its very appreciated
11 Aug 2014, 01:22 AM

The fact that you know it's coming goes a long way towards countering con spam via advanced warfare. I've beaten some pretty good players with the following;

- check the soviet base once a minute. No buildings means con spam.
- build volks, upon volks with maybe a kubel if the map is open enough
- once you get to 1 CP, break out MG34's. I build 2-3.
- rush to the AA truck. That'll get you Obers. A pair of Obers is enough,
. You'll know T34s show up around the 8-9 CP mark. That means shrecks, a pair of pupchens and mines should be ready in a timely fashion. In my last game I had an 88 ready by the time the first T34 stuck its nose out.
- all other fuel saved for The King.
22 Aug 2014, 19:46 PM

I faced this yesterday on Kholodny, opponent was pretty decent....not knowing it was a thing (massing Cons)...basically the guy went with 6 squads Cons, then some Guards and basically held of till 2x T34-85s.

I won this...going with a heavier T1 opening (3xVolks, 1xSturm, so basically 5 squads T1), into Battlegroup, ISG (OKW mortar), Raketen. Then went straight to T4 for some Obers (2x). I got a 2nd Raketen then got a Panther.

I was able to fight off his Infy with a mix of Volks, Obers and ISG. Volks do really well vs Cons, especially as they Vet.

Then I took out I think 3x his T34-85 battlegroup, using 2 Raketens and a Panther...and eventually 2x Panthers(one of which was the Command Panther).

Ill see if I can post the replay later.
22 Aug 2014, 21:31 PM

24 Aug 2014, 23:27 PM

Here you go :

http://www.coh2.org/replay/22860/fighting-conscript-spam

As I mentioned in my first post, it's not so much the Con spam as it is the unrelenting armor that Soviets can field via call-ins and no teching (via the Advanced Warfare commander). Your opponent in this match teched T1 (or T2, actually not sure), then T4 for an SU-85. The teching cost didn't give him a huge fuel advantage, and the SU-85 was on odd choice.

It would be one thing if the Soviet's lack of tech put them at a significant early/mid game disadvantage (less fuel), but it really doesn't. I think it's a little too easy for a Soviet player to split the map with an OST/OKW player using just Cons (upgraded with ppSH) until they have their CPs for the single T34-85 call in. And when they do, they've managed to save up so much fuel, that they can be super aggressive with them and keep calling them in as needed.
25 Aug 2014, 08:34 AM
Patrion 14

I was able to hold my own with my standard BO against Soviets (Sturmpio, 3 Volks, 2 JLI, Med Truck, ISG, raketen).

I won this...going with a heavier T1 opening (3xVolks, 1xSturm, so basically 5 squads T1), into Battlegroup, ISG (OKW mortar), Raketen. Then went straight to T4 for some Obers (2x). I got a 2nd Raketen then got a Panther.

Am i the only one thinking that ISG is a MP draining, bad idea vs a highly mobile conspam? I'd rather get another sturm early on, or save the mp for another squad of Obers.
25 Aug 2014, 10:31 AM

Against many T34s, Pagdpanzer backed by rakkettens in building and some shreks as flank protection, thats your best bet.

For pure cons, Fussilier spam with G43s isnt bad, match them man for man with higher DPS.
25 Aug 2014, 18:05 PM

Make 4-5 volks and get a battle group hq after your 2nd volks. Basically you'll want to have groups of two volks roaming the map capping and supporting each other. Use your starting sturm for good DPS. Get scwherer HQ once you have 70 fuel. Here you have a choice, go obers + luchs or save for obers + panther. Look at your situation and choose accordingly. Upgrade to shreks as fast as possible on your many volks squads in preparation for their call in armor and build raketens if you choose to go luchs. Use grenades sparingly so you have enough munitions for your shreks

Jli and panzer fusiliers are more effective at killing cons in the early mid game so you can replace a few volks squads with them but you'll have to compensate the lost shreks by getting raketens. Keep an eye on your own command points to get an idea when their call ins will hit the field
25 Aug 2014, 18:17 PM

It is easily counterable.

cons outright suck vs OKW - and here is how to deal with it.

Make sure you scan the sov base in FOW early ( no building = conspam )
If you see that either select Scavange or an MG34 commander.

Get like 4 volks and go t2 - t4 into fast luchs ( make sure to use minesweepers )

Dont lose the luchs. make sure you have raketen/jagd und shrecked up volks ready for the incoming t34/85 ( rougly 18-22 minutes depending on the fights/map/commander ( 1 or 2 t34 call in )

Throw in some obers to deal with the cons. Thats about it.
The conspam is actually very readable strategy.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★