Login

russian armor

Pathfinders or riflemen?

2 Aug 2014, 22:33 PM

Hello. The 85% of my games are playing with airborne doctrine. I am going with 3 riflemen and 1 pathfinders squad. But in some games they are not paying themselves. They are good at killing enemy snipers, but they always must to be supported, their radar is good but sometimes they are not needed on battlefield. And maybe it is better to do 4 riflemen squads and do pathfinders in late game if it needed.
What is better 4 riflemen squads or 3 riflemen and 1 pathfinders squad?
2 Aug 2014, 22:37 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

4 rifleman is a very standard build, and there is a reason behind it I think. In general you can build 4 rifleman before realistically being able to tech up and purchase a unit from the tier. The only time I go 3 riflemen is when I rush out a lieutenant, which replaces my 4th rifle squad.

I have yet to use pathfinders to much effect. I would say they're optional, good to get 1 if you have manpower to spare.
2 Aug 2014, 22:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Aug 2014, 22:37 PMOhme
4 rifleman is a very standard build, and there is a reason behind it I think. In general you can build 4 rifleman before realistically being able to tech up and purchase a unit from the tier. The only time I go 3 riflemen is when I rush out a lieutenant, which replaces my 4th rifle squad.

I have yet to use pathfinders to much effect. I would say they're optional, good to get 1 if you have manpower to spare.

Iam going fast captain and stuart, never use lieutenant if iam playing with airborne.
2 Aug 2014, 22:53 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

Iam going fast captain and stuart, never use lieutenant if iam playing with airborne.

Consider going 4 Rifles -> Pathfinder -> Captain -> Airdrop MG (crewed with pathfinders for a vision bonus) -> Stuart

If you can hold out without an ambulance for a while, do it. If you have a squad or two in desperate need of healing, just go ahead and get the ambulance.
2 Aug 2014, 23:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Aug 2014, 22:53 PMOhme

Consider going 4 Rifles -> Pathfinder -> Captain -> Airdrop MG (crewed with pathfinders for a vision bonus) -> Stuart

If you can hold out without an ambulance for a while, do it. If you have a squad or two in desperate need of healing, just go ahead and get the ambulance.

Wow, if pathfinders take mg they got bonus? Iam always taking it with echelon troops cuz they cheap. Well I will try it. My buildorder was
1 Riflemen
2 Riflemen
3 Riflemen
4 Ambulance
5 Captain
6 Pathfinders
7 Stuart
8 Bars
And so on
But I will change it with 4 riflemen and do pathfinders if they really needed.
3 Aug 2014, 06:26 AM

My thoughts are Riflemen are better overall, but Pathfinders are good for scouting and taking points behind enemy lines. I use them in the same way I use Jaeger Light Infantry, although I find both units unnecessary. Since Riflemen can use grenades and can upgrade weapons, they seem a much better choice to me.
3 Aug 2014, 06:26 AM

My thoughts are Riflemen are better overall, but Pathfinders are good for scouting and taking points behind enemy lines. I use them in the same way I use Jaeger Light Infantry, although I find both units unnecessary. Since Riflemen can use grenades and can upgrade weapons, they seem a much better choice to me.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, I am not sure how to delete this

18 Aug 2014, 21:05 PM

I personally go three rifles and the pathfinder. I use the beacon religiously to bring my paratroopers back up to snuff. I also like this as it helps keep the paras away from the major/ambulance. No need to make send them back to make your forward retreat an even richer target. Sometimes I even go two rifles and an extra RE to try to save popcap, but this can bite you with poor micro. I find the pathfinder help me keep the RE alive having the better recon. Pathfinder are better combat with a bar. I generally only get one though to save munitions for para/p-47. It gives them just enough punch to hold on for a rifle to come running. Green cover is a must. Don't think they can punch above their weight just because they have a bar. They die quickly. If used well they can be great. Without beacon I'd be far less likely to go for them.
18 Aug 2014, 21:30 PM

Many people underestimate how effective Pathfinders are if used correctly. Of course, the question which arises from this statement is, "How do I use Pathfinders correctly?".

I think the biggest plus of Pathfinders people don't know is that they have a "Headshot Critical". Basically, the snipers in the pathfinder squad "execute" infantry models below about 40% HP (I think it's 40%. Not sure on this). This makes them extremely effective at finishing off already damaged squads. The key to exploiting this is to micro your supporting rifle(s) squad(s) to target healthy, high HP targets and then micro Pathfinders to either focus down the already damaged squads to get headshot criticals or start firing on damaged squads once rifles are done with them.

A few other key things to note with Pathfinders are is to never to allow them to move-fire. They have absolutely terrible moving accuracy (As do all rifle squads). Also, if you ever find your pathfinders out of position/cover in a short/mid range scenario where they're clearly being focus fired, retreat them ASAP, even if squads full HP. Those pathfinders are surprisingly expensive to reinforce and will quickly drain your MP if you're careless with them.

Last but not least, Pathfinders can (spam/)make beacons which can be placed anywhere on the map and allow paratroopers to reinforce next to them via are-resupply. They also provide unitless scouting and are extremely useful and difficult to detect if placed right. They're also free, so set as many up as you can.
25 Aug 2014, 21:05 PM
Senior Editor Badge

A note about pathfinders: Their weapon slots take up the M1 carbine/M1 garand rifles (whichever one they have), not their scoped rifles. You can give them double M1919 or double BAR and they will still execute infantry squads.
:)
Vaz
28 Sep 2014, 19:04 PM

Thanks for this info, I've been trying to make good use of pathfinders and I think this will help.
5 Mar 2015, 10:33 AM

I've been recently playing around with quick Double Pathfinders with 1 BAR.

You gotta watch the wtf-face of OST or OKW when they get fast squad wipes from them. If microed correctly, you can even face blobs head on with just 2 of them, but safe to say, they're murderers if kept right behind your Riflemen.

My build goes 2 ways depending on health of my squads after initial engagements

- Rifle
- Rifle
- RE
- Path (sometimes you need to wait for command points to acrue.. so make sure you make enough damage in your first engagements)
- BAR (equip 1st Path)
- Path (equip 2nd Path)
- Ambulance
- MG drop
- Captain

Or if my initial fights end having injured squads I go
- Rifle
- Rifle
- RE
- Ambu
- Path
- BAR (equip Path
- Freeform and either go Path if you have manpower, otherwise Captain if enough fuel and perhaps stick with just 1 Path at this point if you already see armor on the field.

oh yeah.. Remember that Path Vet 3 get range bonus which affects BARs too. Additionally I'd like to go with buletin for sight and accuracy for them as well.

Some Additional thoughts:
- I usually try to keep 2 RE and equip them with Zooks, I also need them to capture MGs or paks. I usually don't replace Riflemen, I prefer having Paratroopers instead. Squad preservation is key in this build as it is very easy to bleed manpower. I usually end up having floating fuel instead of manpower.
5 Mar 2015, 11:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2015, 10:33 AMMyzis
I've been recently playing around with quick Double Pathfinders with 1 BAR.

You gotta watch the wtf-face of OST or OKW when they get fast squad wipes from them. If microed correctly, you can even face blobs head on with just 2 of them, but safe to say, they're murderers if kept right behind your Riflemen.

My build goes 2 ways depending on health of my squads after initial engagements

- Rifle
- Rifle
- RE
- Path (sometimes you need to wait for command points to acrue.. so make sure you make enough damage in your first engagements)
- BAR (equip 1st Path)
- Path (equip 2nd Path)
- Ambulance
- MG drop
- Captain

Or if my initial fights end having injured squads I go
- Rifle
- Rifle
- RE
- Ambu
- Path
- BAR (equip Path
- Freeform and either go Path if you have manpower, otherwise Captain if enough fuel and perhaps stick with just 1 Path at this point if you already see armor on the field.

oh yeah.. Remember that Path Vet 3 get range bonus which affects BARs too. Additionally I'd like to go with buletin for sight and accuracy for them as well.

Some Additional thoughts:
- I usually try to keep 2 RE and equip them with Zooks, I also need them to capture MGs or paks. I usually don't replace Riflemen, I prefer having Paratroopers instead. Squad preservation is key in this build as it is very easy to bleed manpower. I usually end up having floating fuel instead of manpower.

I could never make this work but I am a bad USF player and I didn't give that many chances. Pathfinders are still my favourite USF units, and I would like to use them to good effect in various ways too. What's your opinion of Pathfinder-crewed AT guns, LMGs and Bazooka Pathfinders? Do Bazooka Pathfinders get any bonuses such as accuracy?
5 Mar 2015, 21:38 PM

I could never make this work but I am a bad USF player and I didn't give that many chances. Pathfinders are still my favourite USF units, and I would like to use them to good effect in various ways too. What's your opinion of Pathfinder-crewed AT guns, LMGs and Bazooka Pathfinders? Do Bazooka Pathfinders get any bonuses such as accuracy?

Well I'd say Bazooka gets the range boost on vet 3, just like BARs do. tbh, I havent tested this yet, neither did I try to crew stuff with them. Seems a bit expensive. Especially given the fact that they themselves provide vision for the ATs anyway. I'd rather have them as combined arms, than try and make them crew weapons as an already manpower bleeding commander.
6 Mar 2015, 00:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2015, 21:38 PMMyzis

Well I'd say Bazooka gets the range boost on vet 3, just like BARs do. tbh, I havent tested this yet, neither did I try to crew stuff with them. Seems a bit expensive. Especially given the fact that they themselves provide vision for the ATs anyway. I'd rather have them as combined arms, than try and make them crew weapons as an already manpower bleeding commander.

The zook DOES get the accuracy bonuses. But I've found that they die a little too quick to fill in the AT duty.

Use them to set up ambushes for enemy armor,ot the sides and rear of an attack, to get the best effect for it.
6 Mar 2015, 01:48 AM

Herein lies your issue imo.

Maybeeee, against OKW if I really fear a light vehicle I'll get the Cpt. but, frankly I consider him prettty worthless.

An M20 + Mines will go a long way, the Lt. will act like a steroid rifle squad for you and access to the AAHT will give you a lot more leverage if you need it AND allow you to get the Sherman out earlier.

Also, a lot of chatter about the 4th Rifle, if you're going AB I would advise against it, especially if you use pathfinders with their RIDICULOUS reinforcement cost. w/Para's your upkeep will skyrocket.
6 Mar 2015, 11:24 AM

Herein lies your issue imo.

Maybeeee, against OKW if I really fear a light vehicle I'll get the Cpt. but, frankly I consider him prettty worthless.

An M20 + Mines will go a long way, the Lt. will act like a steroid rifle squad for you and access to the AAHT will give you a lot more leverage if you need it AND allow you to get the Sherman out earlier.

Also, a lot of chatter about the 4th Rifle, if you're going AB I would advise against it, especially if you use pathfinders with their RIDICULOUS reinforcement cost. w/Para's your upkeep will skyrocket.
Huh, it was a summer, when Stuart wasn't nerfed so hard. Of course lt is more better than cpt nowadays.
10 Mar 2015, 20:10 PM

I just had a game where my 3 Rifles squads engaged multiple VGS, PGS and Grens and every time squad diminished to 1 man, PATHFINDERS sniped (Total of 3 squad wipes from sniping). Glorious!

Next game, I used Pathfinders with hold fire ability and my allies Katted and KV2 the F out of the FHQs and Trucks (City 17 map).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 86

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight