Login

russian armor

[1v1] Soviets vs OKW

1 Aug 2014, 19:51 PM

Strat is very simple and nearly impossible to lose with it vs OKW players

1. Build T1, your first BO is: Sniper, M3, Cons, Sniper, Sniper. OKW lacks anti-sniper units, unless they flank somehow with sturmpios, M3 is good vs early non AT units and cons are just to cap territory and take fire on them while your snipers are near

2. When you reach 2 CP (usually for me it's when i lose M3 :snfBarton: ) you got Guards call-in, usually I call-in 3 squads because they are good against OKW infantry (not vs obersoldats) and have PTRS's that are enough against every vehicle OKW can afford.

3. Most of the time, with 3 guards that are your most expensive reinforce squad you are probably floating some Manpower, save it, you gonna need it for bigger tanks like ISU-152.

End of strat :snfBarton:
1 Aug 2014, 19:56 PM

I'm going to try out now.
If I don't win you'll be reported and banned Barton.
1 Aug 2014, 20:12 PM

Funny thing is if you use this strat and your opponent goes Kubel first and murders your first sniper lol
1 Aug 2014, 20:22 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Funny thing is if you use this strat and your opponent goes Kubel first and murders your first sniper lol

I wish Kubel was actually able to do some damage on the move. But sadly this vehicle is a piece of shit.
1 Aug 2014, 20:41 PM

get sniper first and get in cover while cap for example, your M3 will kill it fast
1 Aug 2014, 20:51 PM

Or MG34. I don't really like sniper builds, personally. I never seem to have luck with them (though it likely comes down to your ability to micro a bunch of these units).
4 Aug 2014, 17:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

why sniper first? wouldn't it make more sense to get the conscripts first for some capping power. What is an unsupported sniper going to do other than snipe one sturmpio and immediately retreat
5 Aug 2014, 04:01 AM

Who cares about early capping points and resources :P

The only thing stopping you from getting as much ISUs as possible is mp and 12 CP. You'll float fuel.
8 Aug 2014, 04:57 AM

I think this would fail vs a volk spam. As soon as he sees more than 1 snipe, just keep building the volks. Once they outcap you he can upgrade to T2 and get shreks, countering the clown car. The MP bleed won't be high enough to keep him out of the game (since he'll have really good map control) and volks don't give vet fast enough to get out the guards for serious anti infantry.
8 Aug 2014, 07:37 AM
Senior Caster Badge

More than 1 Sniper is often cheesy and gimicky. 2 Snipers is not twice as effective as 1 sniper, and the amount of attention required to keep them both active and alive makes them hard to use. A much more consistent build is something along the lines of.

T1>>Penal>>Penal>>M3>>Sniper>>Medics>>Guards>>Guards>>Guards>>T70>>ISU-152
8 Aug 2014, 13:26 PM

More than 1 Sniper is often cheesy and gimicky. 2 Snipers is not twice as effective as 1 sniper, and the amount of attention required to keep them both active and alive makes them hard to use. A much more consistent build is something along the lines of.

T1>>Penal>>Penal>>M3>>Sniper>>Medics>>Guards>>Guards>>Guards>>T70>>ISU-152

Au contraire. More than one sniper is cheesy and gimmicky alright, but two snipers are actually exponentially more effective than one, especially agaisnt OH, but also against OKW. If you take a pop, the affected squad has to retreat right away (unless you are dealing with Panzerfüsiliers)or risks being wiped. This factor alone will decide a shitload of engagements in your favour and therefore grants you more map presence in the long run.
8 Aug 2014, 15:43 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

The more snipers you make, the more your entire army can be countered by one light vehicle.
8 Aug 2014, 15:54 PM

True that, but snipers rely on critical mass to really make themselves felt. I am not advocating SSS+ builds, funny as they may be, but one sniper lacks impact for the reasons mentioned.
8 Aug 2014, 16:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Aug 2014, 15:43 PMRomeo
The more snipers you make, the more your entire army can be countered by one light vehicle.

3 Snipers = at least 50% - 75% of the enemy squad is dead.

Romeo, that's why you call in guards shortly after. Guards will counter any real anti infy vehicle OKW throws at you.

I've tried this strat after I saw him do it to hans, pretty effective. I go for 85s instead of ISU tho.

Maps like Kholodny Ferma are too easy to use this strat on.
9 Aug 2014, 08:59 AM

Compare the micro required for having two Ostheer/vcoh snipers and how fragile they are, with 2 soviet sniper squads.

Due to the 2 man count of Soviet sniper squads, it allows Soviet snipers to blob micro free and be used entirely different. This is why many consider this as cheese. They aren't really concept sniper units, they are minisquads that can instakill with each slow shot.

Relic really needs to reduce the squad size to 1. We get the Soviet stereotype of hordes of troops because of Hollywood movies like Enemy at the Gates. It's not 'cool' anymore. I guess they have to stick to their original source material for history and faction design :P
9 Aug 2014, 18:44 PM

Compare the micro required for having two Ostheer/vcoh snipers and how fragile they are, with 2 soviet sniper squads.

Due to the 2 man count of Soviet sniper squads, it allows Soviet snipers to blob micro free and be used entirely different. This is why many consider this as cheese. They aren't really concept sniper units, they are minisquads that can instakill with each slow shot.

Relic really needs to reduce the squad size to 1. We get the Soviet stereotype of hordes of troops because of Hollywood movies like Enemy at the Gates. It's not 'cool' anymore. I guess they have to stick to their original source material for history and faction design :P

i think soviet snipers have always worked in pairs or small groups
14 Aug 2014, 16:02 PM

This also works hilariously well in 2v2... probably even better since losing the capping power isn't as detrimental. Thanks for this.
21 Aug 2014, 01:37 AM

I just do it... ISUs is great... :nahnah:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight