Login

russian armor

Strategies for a New Soviet Player

1 Aug 2014, 19:06 PM

Hello everyone! I am new to COH2 and this is my first post on this forum :)

I would like to ask for suggestions and tips on how to play the Soviets. So far i have only played 4v4 (i realize the balance is different from 1v1, but i enjoy the bigger battles). What are good strategies and builds versus OKW and Ostheer?

This is what i have been doing:

1. Build the support weapons building
2. Build conscript squad and go cap with engineers and conscript squad
3. Build Maxim MG(s)
4. Then i build more conscripts and try to capture more points/defend VPs
5. Build AT gun(s)
6. After i get enough resources, i build T4 and build SU85s. I have been building kats as well for artillery support, but im not sure how well they perform now after the patch
7. If i am rich, i try to get T34s or i just defend/push with my troops and SU85s

I generally go Mechanized Support Doctrine because i really like the ISU-152. I try to call in Guards Infantry whenever i get the money for them.

I have been practicing my micro by hot-keying my units. However i sometimes lose track of my units during battle :(

Thanks guys, any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated!!
2 Aug 2014, 05:06 AM

Welcome NinjaWJ.
I am somewhat new to COH2 myself, but I played a lot of vCOH. I have stuck with soviets and I can share with you what I have learned so far.

There are a few important things to think about from going from team games to 1v1, but the most important is flexibility. Combined arms is the key. So I would recommend one commander with guards and heavy tanks and one with shocks and heavy tanks. You will need a different mindset when you fight OKW from when you face OST. Also, you will need to react to their tech on your own. One tank can be a lot in 1v1.

For OST, I recomend starting capping with engineers and making 3 to 4 conscripts. Spread them out and cap as much as you can. If you see an opening, decap their stuff. If you can take it for yourself that is even better, but don't over-commit. At the least make sure you secure one high fuel and munition. Once you get a few points, retreat your engineers and build T2. At this point you need to start to think about what he is doing, but all of the units from T2 can make a good impact. Make sure to build at least one Zis though, they can get lucky vs infantry. If they make a vehicle, then you are ready! Most of the time I move to T3 from here, but again you have to read what is going on.

For OKW, I would start building T1 or T2 right away. If you have good micro, T1 seems to be better. Conscripts are less effective vs OKW, so don't get as many as you would vs OST. I only get 1 conscript squad in the early game. I suck at T1, so I get T2 and get a few maxims. Bleed him as much as you can. Its ok if you don't kill any squads because OKW units are very expensive. I like to look at T4 against OKW, but again, you need to read your enemy. It may not be bad to get T1 and T2 before T3 or T4.

Make sure you get the medics on the command center before mid game, but not too early. Flame and at grenades are also useful the more cons you have. Just play a few games and see what works. Good luck!
4 Aug 2014, 17:31 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

One good strategy is making 5-6 conscripts, researching healing, AT nades, and molotovs, then calling in shock troops, KV-8s, and IS-2s. It works well against both axis factions at all parts of the game and you don't need to build a single base building. Instead you can spend the fuel on your doctrinal tanks.

Using this strategy will teach you a lot about using infantry effectively. If you like infantry, this is the way to go. If you prefer team weapons, maybe not.
4 Aug 2014, 18:36 PM

Romeo, do you have a this-patch replay demonstrating that strat? I'd look through your archive myself but the replay-info-scraper-thingie is still busted.
4 Aug 2014, 18:41 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

No, unfortunately.
4 Aug 2014, 18:59 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Welcome to the board,NinjaWJ! :)
5 Aug 2014, 05:48 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Here's a fresh replay of the aforementioned strat
5 Aug 2014, 13:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Aug 2014, 17:31 PMRomeo
One good strategy is making 5-6 conscripts, researching healing, AT nades, and molotovs, then calling in shock troops, KV-8s, and IS-2s. It works well against both axis factions at all parts of the game and you don't need to build a single base building. Instead you can spend the fuel on your doctrinal tanks.

Using this strategy will teach you a lot about using infantry effectively. If you like infantry, this is the way to go. If you prefer team weapons, maybe not.

That sounds like a great way to learn how to micro your infantry. I will have to try that out also!
5 Aug 2014, 16:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Aug 2014, 05:48 AMRomeo

Thanks man, I'll watch this when I get home.
5 Aug 2014, 20:41 PM

Hey Ninja,

4v4 is my favorite game type –– so maybe these tips to people who play 1v1/2v2 will seem noobish –– but I have a few build orders that I like to play around with.

If you're playing against a majority OKW team, I immediately build T1 and go sniper –– scout car –– penal squad. The sniper should be focusing on the Sturmpioneers, as they cost a whole lot of MP to reinforce. The reason for the scout car is to deal with, mainly through flanking, their Kubelwagon, which is a bit of a pain in the ass early on, if only because it'll deter you from moving your sniper(s) freely. By the time the penals roll out, you should have enough munitions saved to give them the flame thrower, which is good for mopping up the Volks/pios who are running from the sniper, or you could throw the flame squad in the scout car and have fun for a bit. NOTE: I only use this strategy in conduction with a commander that gives me guards, as you'll want them on the field to counter whatever vehicle they decide to throw at you. Sometimes, for kicks, I'll end up making a second sniper. Eventually, I end up making T2 so I can have a Zis to work in conjunction with my guards, and to be honest, more often than not I don't make many vehicles until I'm using the call-in for the ISU152 or the T34/85s.

Alternatively, I've read some people go sniper -- sniper and throw in a conscript or two while they wait for their guards to get to the field.

If you want to make T2 in the beginning for maxims in mortars, I suggest using them alongside conscripts, all the while you've selected a commander that gives you Shocks/a heavy tank.

Just my two cents, though.
5 Aug 2014, 22:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Aug 2014, 05:48 AMRomeo

shoot it says my replay is invalid. is this because i dont have WFA?
5 Aug 2014, 22:30 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

shoot it says my replay is invalid. is this because i dont have WFA?

My opponent was OKW so I guess that's possible. I'm not sure.
6 Aug 2014, 00:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Aug 2014, 22:30 PMRomeo

My opponent was OKW so I guess that's possible. I'm not sure.

I think it only happens when you play someone on a WFA map, regardless of either faction. I can't watch my last few replays because they all happened to be on the new maps. I want to buy WFA soon, but its a pain not being able to watch a lot of replays until then...
6 Aug 2014, 01:53 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2014, 00:47 AMryati

I think it only happens when you play someone on a WFA map, regardless of either faction. I can't watch my last few replays because they all happened to be on the new maps. I want to buy WFA soon, but its a pain not being able to watch a lot of replays until then...

That explains it then, it is on a new map
6 Aug 2014, 03:19 AM

Wow, that replay. Quantity has a quality all its own, indeed. I'll give this a try. At least I won't hear any complaints about Maxim spam.
12 Aug 2014, 18:53 PM

Thank you for the suggestions comrades!! ill have to keep practicing. Germans have been raping me
14 Aug 2014, 01:28 AM

NinjaWJ, one thing I'd suggest after looking at your playercard is that 1v1 really is the place to learn the game quickly. The defeats can be really soul crushing, but they're like that precisely because you don't have teammates confounding your performance; every mistake that contributes to a loss is your own to identify and fix.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS