Login

russian armor

Garisonned MG Control

1 Aug 2014, 10:33 AM

I played a game in Stalingrad a short while ago. I had an MG34 in a building. It had two targets: A rifle squad moving right up to it, and another squad garrisoned in a solid building further away. Of course it went for the building and died very quickly.

I then stupidly tried again in a different building. Naturally it ignored the 3 rifle squads tightly grouped right in front of it and tried to take down an AT gun minding its own business at long range. Around this point I think I broke down into tears.

Anywho, messed up targeting priorities aside, is there any way to tell garrisoned MGs what targets to attack anymore? I swear it was possible in the original, but now the game defaults to an exit action if you right click on anything.
1 Aug 2014, 10:38 AM

Don't garrison MGs is the only advice I can give you. It's much better to have them depolyed outside in my experience.
1 Aug 2014, 10:39 AM

You have to drag a selection box over the house so you have the house selected, not the unit inside. You can then give it attack orders.
1 Aug 2014, 10:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Aug 2014, 10:38 AMKhan
Don't garrison MGs is the only advice I can give you. It's much better to have them depolyed outside in my experience.

This.

It is intended downside of garrison cover.

Use garrisons only for units that can bail quickly aka normal infantry.
1 Aug 2014, 10:48 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

Some buildings are excellent for MGs. Most are terrible because of their location.

I avoid putting MG34/42 in buildings because its slow to move windows. Maxim works well in building though.
1 Aug 2014, 11:20 AM

Click the house itself, not the unit. If you have the unit selected and click somewhere, it will leave the garrison.
1 Aug 2014, 11:20 AM

the only HMGs you should put into buildings are the Maxim and the M2 both reposition really fast and will react to your orders and in the case of maxim it also seems to get an MG42 like firing arc but that may be the mobility

those two mgs will also exit the building really fast so they are harder to wipe with satchels etc.

1 Aug 2014, 13:43 PM

It is intended downside of garrison cover.

I don't know if it's intended, per se. I recall Relic talking about how they wanted to add player-controlled MG positioning in buildings in the original. However they were saying it would require significant recoding of the game. I assumed they would at least work out it by the sequel, but I guess it proved too tricky. If anything, I'd say the downside is the relocation time. I remember when COH didn't have it. I'd get so annoyed that I couldn't flank.

Cheers all for the 'select house' tip. I'll give it a shot. I'm aware buildings aren't really ideal, but sometimes the extra protection is nice.
1 Aug 2014, 13:49 PM

I don't know if it's intended, per se. I recall Relic talking about how they wanted to add player-controlled MG positioning in buildings in the original.

It is. It doesn't really matter what relic said for the coh1 as coh2 have different crew and goes with different balance principles. What matters is what coh2 relic says and they have said its intended risk of garrison cover.
1 Aug 2014, 14:35 PM

Cheers all for the 'select house' tip. I'll give it a shot. I'm aware buildings aren't really ideal, but sometimes the extra protection is nice.

Let us know what you find. I've been frustrated by units in buildings doing unexpected things since I started playing CoH. Just last night I lost a sturmpio squad that executed a perfect flank because a garrisoned lieutenant switched targets when I didn't think he could.
1 Aug 2014, 14:40 PM

relic says and they have said its intended

Relic: Works as intended = We don't want to/know how to fix it.
1 Aug 2014, 17:06 PM

Let us know what you find. I've been frustrated by units in buildings doing unexpected things since I started playing CoH. Just last night I lost a sturmpio squad that executed a perfect flank because a garrisoned lieutenant switched targets when I didn't think he could.

I think the real mistake was getting close to the garrison of one of the strongest close combat units in the game :crazy:
1 Aug 2014, 19:09 PM

I do'nt see anything wrong with how the current system works.

Once you select the building the mg is garrisoned in you just right click on the enemy to shoot at and it will re position at a window facing that direction.

boom instant suppression.
1 Aug 2014, 20:45 PM

Buildings only work if you have a Maxim or M2, or have the building tightly locked down by supporting forces. Basically if you're not Allies, don't even bother with MG buildings.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★