Login

russian armor

Post 7/31 Patch Katyusha Test (see vid)

31 Jul 2014, 21:44 PM

I did a test of the new katyusha firing at various units.

First shoot only kills 1 solider, I guess it was mainly missing
Second shoot kills 8, looks pretty normal
Third shoot kills only 2 although I fired at the tank, I guess that is overshoot
Fourth shoot kills 10. This time I aimed it below the tank a little to compensate for the overshoot.

It seems the unit is not as good as the last patch but better than before that.

What do you think?

PS. many thanks to DanielGrushin for helping with this test
31 Jul 2014, 21:55 PM

You should do one more with panzerwerfer for comparison, because comparing it to pre patch katiusha it was pretty obvious that it will be like that.
31 Jul 2014, 21:56 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

I'll have to play with the rocket artillery more to get a firm gauge, but I was a little disappointed in Kat performance in this video.

One observation I had is that this is max range barrage. In the last patch the max-range barrage was way better and actually ideal because of the lethality of the rockets was so high.

The deflection damage has me optimistic about the performance of precision barrages against super heavies, or close range barrages.

Destroying buildings with Kat was way too easy, they HAD to do something.
31 Jul 2014, 22:53 PM

One of the most RNG units in the game now. You can fire a barrage and hit one or two models, or you can have 3-4 rockets all land at one spot and nearly wipe a squad.

Better off saving the fuel for call-ins now.
31 Jul 2014, 22:58 PM

Relic seem like they have no idea how to balance units sometimes. Their idea of balance is a pendulum of extremes. One patch they'll make a unit the right hand of God, then the next they'll be give them the power of a mosquito bite. Why can't they find a middle ground, especially with rocket artillery? They've constantly been doing this to those units throughout the entire game's life.

Then they just go ahead and buff the Walking Stuka as if it needed a buff. :facepalm:
31 Jul 2014, 22:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jul 2014, 21:44 PMAbdul
I did a test of the new katyusha firing at various units.

First shoot only kills 1 solider, I guess it was mainly missing
Second shoot kills 8, looks pretty normal
Third shoot kills only 2 although I fired at the tank, I guess that is overshoot
Fourth shoot kills 10. This time I aimed it below the tank a little to compensate for the overshoot.

It seems the unit is not as good as the last patch but better than before that.

What do you think?

PS. many thanks to DanielGrushin for helping with this test

Is this still the fearful, legendary Katyusha what bleeds the German fear in the Eyes? ;-)
Imagine: There comes a fast Panther and simply kills it :-))
Yeah, definitively worth!
31 Jul 2014, 23:14 PM

Did you have line of sight in that video? You have fog of war off in that replay. It makes a huge difference for artillery performance. When shooting blind you basically accept that whatever it hits or misses is based mostly off luck. Compared to many other artillery pieces (other than Stuka) the amount of damage was still pretty good.
31 Jul 2014, 23:21 PM

Did you have line of sight in that video? You have fog of war off in that replay. It makes a huge difference for artillery performance. When shooting blind you basically accept that whatever it hits or misses is based mostly off luck. Compared to many other artillery pieces (other than Stuka) the amount of damage was still pretty good.

^^^^ this.

Kat's are so much better now, it's actually possible to play without losing half your army every 60 seconds.

Bt yeah, sight for your katyushas, you'll get better results.
31 Jul 2014, 23:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jul 2014, 22:58 PMKothre
Relic seem like they have no idea how to balance units sometimes. Their idea of balance is a pendulum of extremes. One patch they'll make a unit the right hand of God, then the next they'll be give them the power of a mosquito bite.

Mosquitos did kill more people than anything else in human history.
31 Jul 2014, 23:27 PM
31 Jul 2014, 23:31 PM

If having the stuka zu fuss do reflected damage is a complainable buff, then all hope is lost.
31 Jul 2014, 23:33 PM

I think that's about right for firing at max range.
31 Jul 2014, 23:40 PM

Too RNG dependent. That isn't a blob denial weapon at all, it just bleeds manpower randomly and it is too fragile.

Nobody will make katyushas anymore.
1 Aug 2014, 00:05 AM

It's max range man, go closer to achieve better results.
1 Aug 2014, 01:23 AM

Did you have line of sight or not? It makes all the difference.

Nobody in a game is going to stand still and eat the whole barrage like a retard, so I'm really not impressed with these results. It looks as useless as it was before to me.
1 Aug 2014, 01:38 AM

It's max range man, go closer to achieve better results.

this.

kind of reminds me of the "panther test" video. you purposely put the katyusha as far away as possible, which just makes it seem worse than it is. why else would it be at the back of your base?
1 Aug 2014, 01:39 AM

When Katyusha was annihilating whole armies it was all right but now, when it still does the damage, but not destroy everything it touches, it is useless?

So what, do you guys want a balanced unit or "I win" button?

Its performance now is roughly what it was before the major nerf, when everyone considered Katyusha to being useful and balanced.
1 Aug 2014, 04:35 AM

First shoot was blind, second to fourth were fired with line of sight. Firing was at 80% range, so if range was 200 I was firing at around 160.
1 Aug 2014, 04:54 AM

So many people are just over exaggerating things now. The Katyusha did not go back to being useless, it's still even better than what it was before the July 22nd patch, because the regular barrage is more accurate your rockets can actually hit their targets in the first barrage instead of going over the enemy's heads.

The Katyusha is NOT an anti blob weapon. Like the other mobile artillery like panzerwerfer and Stuka they are not really good at hitting blobs of moving infantry but good against support teams. The Soviets already have enough anti blob weapons in their possession anyways, so stop complaining for anti blob weapons.

Just because the Soviet weapon fire differently doesn't mean it's less powerful. There are advantages and disadvantages to the two different kind of ways of firing the rockets.

For the German rockets they fire up in the air so the rounds just rain down on the enemy, harming them instantly with all rockets at the same time. The advantage of this is if the enemy is unaware of this due to the intense nature of coh2, they will suffer a lot of damage. The downside to this is that the rockets make a loud distinguishable noise and it takes time for the rockets to reach their targets. Therefore, once the player hear that he can scatter his infantry from the most likely spot where the German rockets will hit. I've watched a game when Sib and Von were going against blobbing allied players, but Sib wasn't able to hit the blob with the rockets because the allied player easily predicts where the rockets are going to land. However, they had better luck hitting the allied player's support team because they didn't think of moving those.

As for the Katyusha the rockets are fired more directly and therefore they hit their targets faster. You can't dodge the Katyusha you just hope the first round of rockets don't hit you and then run out of there before the next barrage come, if you survived. It's an immediate effect with some area denial later. They are also more effective against support team because usually the second barrage comes before the support weapons are able to pack up and leave therefore giving the chance of them getting hit again.

Both are decent against infantry but a lot better against support teams.

I only build mobile rocket launchers against someone who goes heavy support team unless I play OKW. The OKW don't have a weapon like the IS2 or Brummbar the only anti infantry vehicle option they have is the Stuka.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★