Login

russian armor

Soviet Early Game Suggestion

30 Jul 2014, 14:18 PM

I've seen a few threads not just on this forum, but elsewhere about how Soviet early game seems to heavily rely on Maxim push, which in my opinion (I played a few games as Soviets) is rather boring. Regardless of how it is effective and safe, the Maxim rush is something that is viewed as a nuisance by Axis players. Maxim push is infamous for the fast rotation and set up, meaning it can suppress enemy units effectively without the need to prepare set-up. Suppression in early skirmishes usually spell out a immediate retreat, as there are not enough infantry to flank, and armor is still rare to have. Early retreat means the Maxim will grab points and start the game at a disadvantage to Axis players.

The multiplayer of CoH2 seems to make the Soviet look like the Axis force in the single player, having Axis infantry always running into machine guns, not the other way around. I feel this is caused by the fact that maybe Maxim is too effective (I'm sure other folks have pointed this out), as well as the fact that other Soviet early infantry is simply not as effective. On regards, I started thinking about a simple fact that makes the "true" Soviet infantry shine.

Conscripts! They are supposed to be the numerous brave souls that stand in the front lines of war. The reason I feel they are viewed ineffective in this game is the fact they don't act the way they should be. Cheap infantry, portrayed in the game as a rushing horde of men, crying at the top of their lungs as they force themselves against enemies. Now, we don't lack much in the department of running-at-your-enemies, but we certainly don't have hordes.

This is my proposition: More options of reinforcement

Currently, the only two methods of reinforcement for the Conscripts are retreating to base or waiting for a M5, both taking much too long to emphasize the horde of men that Soviet Conscripts represent. I've always scratched my head about how Soviet engineers apparently can't build bunkers or forward outposts of any sort. Having something of this sort would be one of the ways to alleviate the Soviet pains of limited reinforcement methods. Other than that, I was also thinking of making one particular vehicle that can show up early with limited combat capabilities to reinforce conscripts (similar to the US ambulence, just limited to only providing for Conscript reinforcement). M3 might be one, but that would make Con+M3 a OP combo.

With this change, the nerf to Maxim would still make Soviet early game strong, while also emphasizing the massive amount of Conscripts that Soviet army used during the war.

30 Jul 2014, 14:43 PM
Donator 11

You certainly cannot get a horde when only using 6-man squads against 4-6 man squads of similar price of a faction that's supposed to have significantly less numbers than the Soviets. It could be suggested to make conscripts cheaper but then they would run rampant with molotovs, at-nades and flanks. Increasing the size could give a more balanced approach but reinforce price and weapon profile may have to be adjusted. There have been talks of giving conscripts an upgradable weapon but I don't see that working out.

An early frontline reinforcement point may be too powerful. A unit could last much longer than you might realize if being constantly reinforced. This would also mess up the merge ability as conscripts could merge into other squads and reinforce on the frontline from a cheaper and earlier option than the M5. Even if it required to be out of combat you could just pull one conscript squad back and use merge as a make-shift reinforce for later elite infantry
30 Jul 2014, 15:16 PM

I think Merge was supposed to be the Soviet prime way of forward reinforcement. So you'd patch up damaged Conscript squads with less experienced conscript squads, overall reducing the number of squads you are retreating and thus lending you a bigger map presence.

However, barely anyone seems to use it. Before the infantry armor changes, infantry armor (other than for Penals) was the reason: The Conscripts did not get the same armor class as the Guards you might merge them into. Also, Maxim crews etc. were cheaper to reinforce than Conscripts, making people try to save a little manpower by retreating the weapon team instead.

Does anyone know how the infantry armor changes (- armor + received accuracy modifiers) affected merging conscripts? I wasn't around when those changes happened.
Before that, in theory the best scenario was merging Conscripts into Penals, basically saving 10 mp per model on reinforcements and keeping the stronger Penal squad on the field longer. Nobody ever really did that, but that was more the fault of Penals, not the Cons.

I think rather than introduce a new way, instead Merge should be looked at.
Maybe upgrade the conscripts to the new squad's base strength but also make the ability cost manpower (based off the efficiency increase). So merging a Conscript squad into a Shocks squad would not result in a squishier Shocks squad but it'd also cost the manpower difference between reinforcing conscripts and reinforcing shocks. Maybe even add a opportunity cost for using it on elite troop squads.

However, for anything specific I'd need to look up all the modifiers and unit costs. And for that I don't really have time atm. Anyone else got the data needed?
30 Jul 2014, 15:42 PM

Until penals doesn't receive some long range buff I think the only two viable opening strategies are con-spam or maxim spam.

Trying to do an early combined arms against a player who is spamming infantry results in a utterly defeat.
30 Jul 2014, 16:08 PM

Ok ill post some tips, i play 2v2 so these may not work with 1v1 ect.

Im a decent rank and these tips work for competitive 2v2.

Its all about the commander choice as they have very weak infantry.

If you go T1 you will need gaurds as youll have no AT, i avoid getting con nades as they drain ammo and cost fuel.

T1 = 1 con, 1 sniper, 1 M3, 1 sniper then into gaurds, this will be your main army, then just build gaurds when they die as youll mainly focus tanks by then.

Gaurds rape even obers with vet and upgrades, they also have nades and button to stop any light tanks and help button big tanks for your own tanks.

If you go T2 obs you spam maxims, vrs OKW they basically lock down the map and are very hard to counter, specially when you have around 5 of them lol. You then roll with a commander who has shocks and they will dominate the end game for you, they are still the best infantry in the game and have smoke too!

The T2 route also allows atgs which rape tanks so badly and have a decent anti infantry barrage which wipes squads if used right.

Both my play styles roll into heavy tanks for the end game and TBH sov have the best heavies, KT and Jagd are good but you have nothing forever until you get them and T85s rape both of them if flanked as they cant turn for shit.

You cant really teach people how to play, its all about skill and micro but hopefully these tips will help you.

People who con spam are noobs and youll never see this in the top 10 2v2, they just melt to everything........

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★