Login

russian armor

IS-2 Frontal Armor

PAGES (7)down
29 Jul 2014, 11:22 AM

Hi all;

I want to discuss about IS-2 frontal armor that in my opinion is too heavy, that means that medium tanks and paks have serious troubles to penetrate it.

In this case, you can see in the video that I find an IS-2 self repairing and can't shoot at me (glitch) but it shows how strong is its frontal armor.
2 Tigers + Pak(vet2) shooting at him seems like tickling him, the help of a jagdtiger was needed to kill the tank (you will see long distance shoots coming from south). It was thanks to the Jagdtiger that we could finish the job. Despite of that, it took over 1 minute to kill an inmobile target with 4 AT cannons.

29 Jul 2014, 11:46 AM

Hi all;

I want to discuss about IS-2 frontal armor that in my opinion is too heavy, that means that medium tanks and paks have serious troubles to penetrate it.

In this case, you can see in the video that I find an IS-2 self repairing and can't shoot at me (glitch) but it shows how strong is its frontal armor.
2 Tigers + Pak(vet2) shooting at him seems like tickling him, the help of a jagdtiger was needed to kill the tank (you will see long distance shoots coming from south). It was thanks to the Jagdtiger that we could finish the job. Despite of that, it took over 1 minute to kill an inmobile target with 4 AT cannons.

I like fighting the IS2 actually. It's like fighting a real IS2 but the issue is that the tiger-IS2 relationship is ruined. The IS2 is a better version of the tiger in terms of armour, speed, turret traverse. The tiger is better in terms of reload speed only. I believe that the best way to fix the IS2 is to give it a reload time of 9 seconds like last time but higher damage (Maybe 200?). Other than that I'm fine with it, though it can be annoying to see multiple shells bounce off the IS2. Check out the latest replay I uploaded from my profile. You can see that me and my teammate used a bunch of pak40s to kill a bunch of IS2. The armour is only a problem if RNG decides to mess with you.

TLDR
The IS2 may need a longer reload time but higher damage. Armour is fine.
29 Jul 2014, 11:53 AM

I wonder if it wasn't a bug rather than anything else.
29 Jul 2014, 11:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2014, 11:46 AMsteel
I like fighting the IS2 actually. It's like fighting a real IS2 but the issue is that the tiger-IS2 relationship is ruined. The IS2 is a better version of the tiger in terms of armour, speed, turret traverse. The tiger is better in terms of reload speed only. I believe that the best way to fix the IS2 is to give it a reload time of 9 seconds like last time but higher damage (Maybe 200?). Other than that I'm fine with it, though it can be annoying to see multiple shells bounce off the IS2. Check out the latest replay I uploaded from my profile. You can see that me and my teammate used a bunch of pak40s to kill a bunch of IS2. The armour is only a problem if RNG decides to mess with you.

TLDR
The IS2 may need a longer reload time but higher damage. Armour is fine.

+1
It having the same damage as t34 is just lame.
29 Jul 2014, 11:55 AM

It was just a combination of luck+self repair that kept the IS-2 alive for so long. Penetrating the front of an IS-2 with a tiger is a coinflip. You just happened to roll heads 10 times in a row. It happens. Meanwhile the self repair kept going and healing the tank.

There are no heavy tanks in this game that are easily penetrated from the front by medium tanks and even AT guns. I don't see why the IS-2 should be more vulnerable from the front while other heavy tanks are not. Besides, it's not like German AT power is lacking.
29 Jul 2014, 11:55 AM

lol, what is up with that video? I WISH the IS-2 bounced like that

probably using attack-ground

Anyway, IS-2 is fine. It's doctrinal on (realistically) one commander. It's got armor better than a Tiger, but worse than KT / JT, and it takes up 24 pop cap.
29 Jul 2014, 11:58 AM

I don't know if they shouldn't somehow do something about armor mechanic in general. Fights between tanks are just too much about RNG right now when one tank has superior armor, but often they still get penetrated all the time or stuff like in the video happens where you get no damage at all. Or you just have one tank that keeps missing all the time.

Sadly I have no idea how to change it to the better.
29 Jul 2014, 12:00 PM

Yeah, that's not normal.
29 Jul 2014, 12:23 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2014, 11:55 AMArclyte
lol, what is up with that video? I WISH the IS-2 bounced like that

probably using attack-ground

Anyway, IS-2 is fine. It's doctrinal on (realistically) one commander. It's got armor better than a Tiger, but worse than KT / JT, and it takes up 24 pop cap.

Armored assault is good, and attack ground doesn't reduce penetration power if the shot is on target.

IS2 packs an armor value above the curve for it's cost (Tiger has 300, IS2 375, and the hugely expensive King Tiger 425- not that much more). But it's anti-infantry power, especially when compared to the days when it did one-shot-one-squad shenanigans, is much worse than both the Tiger variants... You're paying for the front armor more than anything else, I think.

IS2 is also pretty good against P4s, or rather the P4 is uniquely bad against the IS2, because the P4 has really bad penetration and good armor (esp. after vet) for it's cost- and the good armor is useless against the even better IS2 gun (which has the highest short-range penetration of any turreted tank gun, even more than the King's), and the bad penetration means it has a very significant chance of bouncing off the rear of the IS2, let alone the front.
Wrong thread :P

also about the video- that's just some rotten luck from 20-40 seconds. Can't be helped, that's RNG for you.
29 Jul 2014, 12:28 PM

Why are you comparing the P4 to the IS2?
29 Jul 2014, 12:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2014, 12:28 PMArclyte
Why are you comparing the P4 to the IS2?

oh, thought I saw someone comment on medium tanks vs heavy armor... now I can't find it looking back at the thread :P
29 Jul 2014, 12:43 PM

oh, thought I saw someone comment on medium tanks vs heavy armor... now I can't find it looking back at the thread :P

Yes, it's a good point to talk about medium tanks.

I think tank battle system should be reworked, maybe increasing HP on heavier tanks but decreasing armor. The fuel and mp cost to get a Panzer 4 is almost the same as to get an IS-2. With the difference that you can build 4xPanzer 4 and the IS-2 will still rape them all. (As soviets, you can deal with T3 with AT guns and mines until your heavy tanks comes).

About this video, is not a bug, It happened before with 2 tigers + pak + p4 in Semoiskaya vs 2 iS-2 and it was a pain.
29 Jul 2014, 12:51 PM

Hi all;

op

This must be the worst rng bad luck streak I've ever seen :D

Seriously though I think it's a bug.
29 Jul 2014, 12:56 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Also if people want to decrease RNG of tank combat... you could go the COH1 way and make deflected shots do half damage (at least AT guns did that, not sure if tank shells did too). That way you can guarantee that long strings of bounces will not tip a battle in favour of one side too hard- as it is now, it is statistically possible, as unlikely as it is, for an IS2 to survive 5 hours with 10 P4s hammering away at the front because deflections do nothing.
29 Jul 2014, 12:57 PM

Try urself Tiger vs IS-2 and tell me.
Prepare to pray to the RNG gods. I did but it didn't work.
29 Jul 2014, 13:02 PM

Video clearly looks like some bug.
29 Jul 2014, 13:28 PM

huh, and yesterday my cousin lost full health IS-2 to 5%hp left there is no way he will survive Jagdtiger :P
29 Jul 2014, 13:32 PM

Wow, assuming it didn't bug out, and It didn't look like it, that is silly.

Also this is what two t34/76 or Sherman should look like Vs a Panther =P
29 Jul 2014, 13:45 PM

This is the ultimate troll thread the only tank the allies have that doesn't have paper armor and You're saying it needs a nerf. Try flanking next time, like every one else.
29 Jul 2014, 14:08 PM

This is the ultimate troll thread the only tank the allies have that doesn't have paper armor and You're saying it needs a nerf. Try flanking next time, like every one else.
I´m fine with its frontal armor. Flanking is part of the game. But if Panzer IV shots constantly bounce off the the rear and side, the armor values are bullshit.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
Germany 634

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak