Login

russian armor

Sov / Ostheer Vet 1 Infantry

29 Jul 2014, 00:52 AM

Is there really any point in Vet 1 infantry abilities for vanilla factions? I'm not sure about anyone else but from what I've seen in streams and my own experience, they are utterly worthless.

All Soviet Infantry get the Vet 1 Tripwire flares. Seriously, does anyone even use this? It's a total waste of a vet ability as well as munitions. Vet 1 Soviets infantry needs to be reworked.

Shock troops: Out of all the soviet infantry, why is this ability given to shock troopers? Where is that Vet 1 ability (Fire superiority or something)they had in the campaign? Balance that and give it to them.

Ost Vet 1 Infantry get medkits. This ability also needs to be tweaked... Either all german Infantry need to be able to use medkits on themselves, or this ability should just be removed/reworked. For 20 munitions, I expect to heal my Vetted up squad early on, as in before my med bunker hits the field... But, I would much rather see some diversity between the troops, I mean, even ostruppen have medkits, what?

Both Ost and Soviets get almost nothing from their Vet 1 Infantry. Really, Vet 1 should be the place where each infantry unit diversifies from each other (ex: cons, penals) and branches out. Instead, it seems more of a just a wall to prevent players from reaching vet 2.

If relic wants to tweak each unit, I think this is a good place to start.
Thoughts?
29 Jul 2014, 02:26 AM

There used to be a different vet ability for Conscripts and Engineers, but they reworked that eons ago.

I definitely agree that vet abilities need some more diversity. The new factions have a decent variety of useful abilities though.

29 Jul 2014, 06:32 AM

There used to be a different vet ability for Conscripts and Engineers, but they reworked that eons ago.

I definitely agree that vet abilities need some more diversity. The new factions have a decent variety of useful abilities though.

Wait is that true? If so, I kind of want to know what they had for curiosity's sake. And why were they removed in the 1st place?

For the new factions, they get stat / utility bounses at vet 1, so I think it makes their vet bounses far better than the vannilla factions.
29 Jul 2014, 06:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2014, 00:52 AMJ1N6666
Is there really any point in Vet 1 infantry abilities for vanilla factions? I'm not sure about anyone else but from what I've seen in streams and my own experience, they are utterly worthless.

All Soviet Infantry get the Vet 1 Tripwire flares. Seriously, does anyone even use this? It's a total waste of a vet ability as well as munitions. Vet 1 Soviets infantry needs to be reworked.

Shock troops: Out of all the soviet infantry, why is this ability given to shock troopers? Where is that Vet 1 ability (Fire superiority or something)they had in the campaign? Balance that and give it to them.

Ost Vet 1 Infantry get medkits. This ability also needs to be tweaked... Either all german Infantry need to be able to use medkits on themselves, or this ability should just be removed/reworked. For 20 munitions, I expect to heal my Vetted up squad early on, as in before my med bunker hits the field... But, I would much rather see some diversity between the troops, I mean, even ostruppen have medkits, what?

Both Ost and Soviets get almost nothing from their Vet 1 Infantry. Really, Vet 1 should be the place where each infantry unit diversifies from each other (ex: cons, penals) and branches out. Instead, it seems more of a just a wall to prevent players from reaching vet 2.

Thoughts?

Dude Tripwires are good you just plant them and they kill a model. Perfect for getting rid of german snipers and minesweepers can detect them but some people dont notice them cause they are small. Grens can also be killed on retreat and when triggered it reveals that area to you.
29 Jul 2014, 07:03 AM
Developer Relic Badge

It'd be nice if Panzer Grenadiers could get Mark Target again to replace med-kits. Not sure how powerful it was in Beta since I didn't use it given that PGs were god-like back then where Vet 3s could kill everything without it, but seems like something that would be more useful since they tend to be ahead due to their assault/mid-range role.

30-45 Munitions for maybe 10-15% Received Accuracy and maybe somewhere between 10-20% received damage on the marked target? Could also forces PGs to maintain LOS for it to work or it just applies to the PGs. We also have voice lines for it anyways, wouldn't mind hearing those again.
29 Jul 2014, 07:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2014, 00:52 AMJ1N6666

Thoughts?

Shocks are very godlike infantry in this game at the moment so they dont need that ability.
29 Jul 2014, 07:32 AM

It'd be nice if Panzer Grenadiers could get Mark Target again to replace med-kits. Not sure how powerful it was in Beta since I didn't use it given that PGs were god-like back then where Vet 3s could kill everything without it, but seems like something that would be more useful since they tend to be ahead due to their assault/mid-range role.

30-45 Munitions for maybe 10-15% Received Accuracy and maybe somewhere between 10-20% received damage on the marked target? Could also forces PGs to maintain LOS for it to work or it just applies to the PGs. We also have voice lines for it anyways, wouldn't mind hearing those again.

Amazingly, even COH2 beta to pre-march deployment had a nice roster of Infantry Vet 1 abilities. I think the only reason they were complained about was because they were an APM tax (they were free, so people thought Infantry were never fighting at 100%).

The game wasn't quite balanced at the time (granted it just came out) but I think if all those abilities had just been tweaked rather than removed, it would've brought a more interesting tactical element.

Regarding the voice assets, I think it's kind of a waste for all of those to just be removed. I would love to see them return someday.

@Whysoserious: I think the killing a model utility was removed in a ninja patch some time ago. This however, I'm quite shaky about the info so if anyone can confirm this pls do.
29 Jul 2014, 07:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2014, 07:32 AMJ1N6666

Amazingly, even COH2 beta to pre-march deployment had a nice roster of Infantry Vet 1 abilities. I think the only reason they were complained about was because they were an APM tax (they were free, so people thought Infantry were never fighting at 100%).

The game wasn't quite balanced at the time (granted it just came out) but I think if all those abilities had just been tweaked rather than removed, it would've brought a more interesting tactical element.

Regarding the voice assets, I think it's kind of a waste for all of those to just be removed. I would love to see them return someday.

@Whysoserious: I think the killing a model utility was removed in a ninja patch some time ago. This however, I'm quite shaky about the info so if anyone can confirm this pls do.
I lost two models on my grens from that flare.
29 Jul 2014, 07:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2014, 07:36 AMsteel
I lost two models on my grens from that flare.

Oh so it wasn't removed. Still, for a bit more munitions, I would rather have a chance to wipe that squad with a mine.

In almost all the games I've played, I have hardly ever seen this ability being used by me or my allies. I really don't think this should warrant itself as a Vet 1 ability.
29 Jul 2014, 07:55 AM

More diversity, always the better.
+1
29 Jul 2014, 08:28 AM

In CoH2 Beta, the ability was some kind of thing where as more of the men in a squad died, the rest would fight harder. I don't know how effective it was, I never got the chance to use it...
29 Jul 2014, 08:31 AM

^^ For Conscripts...
29 Jul 2014, 08:56 AM

In CoH2 Beta, the ability was some kind of thing where as more of the men in a squad died, the rest would fight harder. I don't know how effective it was, I never got the chance to use it...

Wow, that already sounds like an improvement over the current ability.
29 Jul 2014, 09:28 AM

I use trip wire flares a lot. They are great. They are low in cost and will more often than not kill a model. On top of that they reveal an area, giving you intel on the enemy positions, what he is flanking you with etc. I don't know why people don't use it more often.

I wouldn't mind having some infantry getting other abilities though.

Now medpacks on the other hand... They suck. You have to pull back 2 units from the front line in order to use it and it's quite expensive.
29 Jul 2014, 10:38 AM

Trip wire is useful if you have an mg covering a point, plant the trip wire just out of his field of vision.
29 Jul 2014, 10:50 AM

Trip wire is great. 1 (maybe 2 if very lucky) model losses and recon/los on the area.
Especially when placed at peripheral objectives, or on approach flanks.
Its a great "surprise present" to leave behind where Cons have been.

Medkit however is a completely wasted vet ability.

My recommendation would be reduce its Muni cost slightly, and make it usable on "dying" models on the ground (similar to "Interrogation" on G43s) to restore the model to the unit with say 1/3 health.

The "dying" models crawling around are an almost completely overlooked but very cool aspect of the games existing mechanics.

Id really like to see more abilities capitalising on this "feature".
29 Jul 2014, 11:17 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Trip wire is good but its sad every nonsupport squad gets it. Guards and shocks could use some more fancy stuff

Medkit however is a completely wasted vet ability.

My recommendation would be reduce its Muni cost slightly, and make it usable on "dying" models on the ground (similar to "Interrogation" on G43s) to restore the model to the unit with say 1/3 health.

The "dying" models crawling around are an almost completely overlooked but very cool aspect of the games existing mechanics.

Id really like to see more abilities capitalising on this "feature".

Are you nullist????

29 Jul 2014, 11:44 AM

Trip wire is good but its sad every nonsupport squad gets it. Guards and shocks could use some more fancy stuff

Give shocks the fire superiorty back and give Guards hit the dirt, both ability at vet 2. Currently, tripwire flare is pretty lackluster because the vision don't really benefit Soviet army much when most of their stuff works best at close range and the long range unit can spot for themselves (SU-85, ISU).
29 Jul 2014, 11:54 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Yeah the lack of diversity is really dumb and a lot of units really need some kind of interesting utility to make them more viable and with better scaling.
29 Jul 2014, 12:23 PM

I agree with this, totally useless vet 1 ability, come on, give them bonuses..
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★