Login

russian armor

Laser-Homing AT Grenades and Rifle Grenades

27 Jul 2014, 11:28 AM

Hi folks,

i would like to hear your opinions about AT Grenades and Rifle Grenades are garanteed 100% hit. I think it is plain bullshit that you can't evade it. Especially driving out of range and a Grenade is flying like a rocket right to you.

Especially early Commander things are just too easy counterable like call in halftracks.

I think it should be possible to evade them if you drive out of range when activated or only have a 80% hit rate or something. Especially Rifle Grenades weren't that accurate.
27 Jul 2014, 11:29 AM

I actually like that 80% idea
27 Jul 2014, 11:32 AM

Or make it like any other weapon. Short, Medium, Long Range. On short, Rifle Nade can hit, medium less accurate, long inaccurate.
27 Jul 2014, 11:35 AM

Because what we really need is more RNG.

27 Jul 2014, 11:39 AM

We've had homing fausts and AT nades for months and nobody has really complained.
27 Jul 2014, 11:47 AM
Honorary Member Badge

We've had homing fausts and AT nades for months and nobody has really complained.

Nobody really liked it though. People were mildly annoyed when rifle and fusilier AT nades gained homing.
27 Jul 2014, 11:48 AM

I think it's fine. You can't evade it when it's triggered, but that does not mean you can't prevent it from happening.
27 Jul 2014, 12:40 PM

1.) Make them not homing at all
=> Will cause light vehicles (M3 etc) to overperform massively again.

2.) Make them home until a certain range:
=> That's what it is right now AFAIK, yet it's almost impossible to get out of the range :p

3.) Make them home, with decreasing chance to hit on range:
=> That's already more or less modeled in the penetration and will increase the amount of RNG in the game. I don't think that's a good idea.

I honestly think it's fine as it is. In vCoH such a mechanic might've been fine as it was a lot harder to kite enemy vehicles (no reverse function). So in this it's easier to kite, but if you fail at it you get punished more harshly. Sounds fine to me :/
27 Jul 2014, 12:48 PM

2.) Make them home until a certain range:
=> That's what it is right now AFAIK, yet it's almost impossible to get out of the range :p

Isn't the maximum range on those throws somewhere around 50?
27 Jul 2014, 13:14 PM

Thats not true at all.

I also think that homing nades are not best solution same goes for ~100% damage engine.
27 Jul 2014, 13:25 PM

I have to say if that 100% hit rate wasn't guaranteed I would cry everytime I am facing an M3 / US Jeep as Ostheer.
There's literally no way to counter these things in the early game except for the Faust and while getting close you mostly lose a whole squad.
27 Jul 2014, 13:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2014, 13:14 PMMettiu

Thats not true at all.

Correct. We've had them for *years*. Since 2006, to be precise.
27 Jul 2014, 13:43 PM

Correct. We've had them for *years*. Since 2006, to be precise.

Bullshit. In CoH1 we did not have Rifle Nades like in CoH2 and they just changed it lately to homing Nades. So maybe shake a leg...
27 Jul 2014, 13:47 PM

Nope they're fine as is.
27 Jul 2014, 13:47 PM

He means sticky grenades on US riflemen in CoH1. Which were homing, and yes it did look ridiculous then too. Lol.

Pzfaust was not a tank snare though. Just did some solid damage.
27 Jul 2014, 13:56 PM

Bullshit. In CoH1 we did not have Rifle Nades like in CoH2 and they just changed it lately to homing Nades. So maybe shake a leg...

"bullshit"? He was talking about sticky bombs which were also homing. No need to swear at people.

I think they need to be 100% hit to avoid people running their tanks & vehicles all over everything.
27 Jul 2014, 14:16 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

It's way better homing. Rifle grenades were basically useless before against any light or medium vehicle.
27 Jul 2014, 15:07 PM

It's a necessary compromise. If they weren't homing, light vehicles could just run over infantry, and shit like M3 spam would be much more prevalent.

I do think it could be possible to make it so driving away at certain range would make the ability fail to hit, but again that would favor light, fast vehicles. Heavy vehicles are only ever threatened by AT nades on their flanks, most of the time their front armor deflects it.

Basically, keep your vehicles out of infantry range at all times. It's a good gameplay mechanic and I don't want to see it gone, even if it means we have a bit of silliness in the homing grenades.
27 Jul 2014, 15:33 PM

Füsiliers grenades seems bugged. They now home but if the target is moving away, the grenade will often disappear mid flight and never hit its target. It's kind of annoying.
27 Jul 2014, 20:43 PM

He means sticky grenades on US riflemen in CoH1. Which were homing, and yes it did look ridiculous then too. Lol.

Pzfaust was not a tank snare though. Just did some solid damage.

That last bit is true; I'd forgotten.

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is with infantry having a tank snare. The main complaints in this thread seem to be that it looks really weird to see a lobbed AT grenade changing direction mid flight. While true, I don't think the weird visual really damages the game play.

On the other hand, being able to rampage my Puma through arbitrarily many riflemen squads with total impunity was quite silly.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★