Login

russian armor

Mechanized M3 Halftrack

24 Jul 2014, 22:16 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Is this unit's armor too weak? It's 520 manpower but it dies easily to small arms fire. One shot from any form of AT and it's done. I want to love this unit but every time I purchase it I regret it. A puma will generally hit the field at the same time as this unit and then it's dead. The assault engineers are part of the cost of course but they're not exactly amazing either.
24 Jul 2014, 22:20 PM

280 of that menpower are assault engies, so its really 240 only.

Its pretty much soviet M3 with slightly better mobility and reinforcment ability.

Other then that, obersoldaten annihilate it, but it was also quite poorly armored IRL for which US troops hated it.

And I find assault engies to be quite potent. Probably slightly overpriced, but definitely potent with their satchels mines and flame thrower that lets them win against most infantry that doesn't have huge ranged DPS.
24 Jul 2014, 22:40 PM

I think it's a terrific unit and one of the best in the game.

Use it as a utility and transport vehicle (like Sdfz 251 reinforce) to reinforce your front line constantly and it will rarely be lost. Then it could use as a flame HT from time to time.

This and the dodge are basically battle taxis to me.
24 Jul 2014, 22:44 PM

The single strongest aspect of this unit are the Assault Engies with their abilities to plant demos. Squad wipes for 90 munis a pop, and afterwards demo paranoia.
24 Jul 2014, 22:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2014, 22:20 PMKatitof
280 of that menpower are assault engies, so its really 240 only.

Its pretty much soviet M3 with slightly better mobility and reinforcment ability.

Other then that, obersoldaten annihilate it, but it was also quite poorly armored IRL for which US troops hated it.

And I find assault engies to be quite potent. Probably slightly overpriced, but definitely potent with their satchels mines and flame thrower that lets them win against most infantry that doesn't have huge ranged DPS.

I had no idea it could reinforce, I am going to use it more often
24 Jul 2014, 23:15 PM

Permanently Banned
The fact that Obersoldaten just terminate it gives reason about the OPness of this think.
24 Jul 2014, 23:19 PM

The soviet m5 has 28.5 armor.

The m3 halftrack has 8.4 armor.

Amazing.
25 Jul 2014, 00:55 AM

The single strongest aspect of this unit are the Assault Engies with their abilities to plant demos. Squad wipes for 90 munis a pop, and afterwards demo paranoia.

Wasn't the Assault Engineers's demo charge significantly nerfed in the latest patch. I wonder if they are still worth the munitions investment.
25 Jul 2014, 00:56 AM

Wasn't the Assault Engineers's demo charge significantly nerfed in the latest patch. I wonder if they are still worth the munitions investment.

Ja, youre quite right. Did not try it after the patch yet.
25 Jul 2014, 04:18 AM

They nerfed it alright but they keep the same damage against enemy buildings.
25 Jul 2014, 06:56 AM

It is STILL better than the soviet demo charge after they reduced the damage from 600 to 250. Now it's the same damage as the soviet one but the USA one still has larger AOE.
25 Jul 2014, 13:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2014, 22:16 PMRomeo
Is this unit's armor too weak? It's 520 manpower but it dies easily to small arms fire. One shot from any form of AT and it's done. I want to love this unit but every time I purchase it I regret it. A puma will generally hit the field at the same time as this unit and then it's dead. The assault engineers are part of the cost of course but they're not exactly amazing either.

As Katitof said the actual cost for the unit is 240 MP & 35 fuel. The rest you pay for assault engineers which are not bad at all. What you get for that 240 MP & 35 fuel is a fast but light APC that can be used to wipe squads on retreat, flank entrenched positions and reinforce. I'd say it's not a bad deal for what you get out of it.

And if you see a Puma and you're not sure you want to take any risks just use the "withdraw and refit" ability on it and you'll effectively be able to swap your M5 for a Stuart which can handle the Puma.
25 Jul 2014, 18:13 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

As Katitof said the actual cost for the unit is 240 MP & 35 fuel. The rest you pay for assault engineers which are not bad at all. What you get for that 240 MP & 35 fuel is a fast but light APC that can be used to wipe squads on retreat, flank entrenched positions and reinforce. I'd say it's not a bad deal for what you get out of it.

And if you see a Puma and you're not sure you want to take any risks just use the "withdraw and refit" ability on it and you'll effectively be able to swap your M5 for a Stuart which can handle the Puma.

Assault engineers are not nearly as good as riflemen or a machine gun, both of which cost the same amount. Their demo charge is the only useful thing about them, and not usually worth the price. I'd rather buy three BARs than plant two demo charges. Buying a flamethrower on them is just turning them into a giant target that will explode in a giant fireball and wipe the squad.

The WC51 can wipe squads on the retreat.

The M3 absolutely cannot flank an entrenched position. If there's any form of infantry AT at all, it will die. Even if there's not, it will still probably die to small arms fire.

The ambulance can reinforce and heal.

The stuart hits the field before the M3 does. Withdrawing the M3 as soon as you purchase it is therefore just a huge waste of resources... why buy it at all?

25 Jul 2014, 19:30 PM

Also, the callin costs more fuel than an m5 for something that has less than 1/3rd of the m5's armor. The m3 is not worth fielding at all.
25 Jul 2014, 19:50 PM

Permanently Banned
25 Jul 2014, 19:54 PM

Of course its weak.Its not soviet !
25 Jul 2014, 20:00 PM

Permanently Banned
Of course its weak.Its not soviet !

Yes m8. So buff it Relic!
25 Jul 2014, 20:25 PM

I honestly only use the M3 call in so I can have a squad for demo charges as Americans without the need to go armour company.

The actual halftrack is a joke. Instant withdraw and refit material.
25 Jul 2014, 20:47 PM

It reinforces, transports 2 squads...
25 Jul 2014, 20:51 PM

It reinforces, transports 2 squads...

Cannot mount a quad, dies to a single Fallschirm or Sturmpio squad focusing fire on it...

I have a major set up and an ambulance for reinforcing. I'd rather have the refunded partial cost of the M3 than the M3 itself.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★