Login

russian armor

Mechanized Company Artillery

24 Jul 2014, 06:52 AM

I believe the Mechanized Company artillery ability is absolutely ridiculous when both U.S. players have it and rape all your trucks once they have sight after sending a recon squad around the corner. I honestly think it needs to be looked at, or the trucks slightly buffed. Thoughts?
24 Jul 2014, 06:57 AM

It costs only 180 muni for the entire ordeal.

240 muni is better. Im comparing with other abilities that cost about the same. Its pretty darn effective for price, for such a big blow.
24 Jul 2014, 06:59 AM

well the commander itself is rather gimmicky in the early game and the arty is the only thing that it has going for it in the late.
i'd say slightly increase muni cost but then give the OKW trucks some sort of arty-resist so they take reduced damage from arty but still take the same damage from regular units
24 Jul 2014, 07:26 AM

It literally has the firepower of the Rocket Artillery in coh1 (German Defensive Doctrine) and it costs 180. It's broken.
24 Jul 2014, 07:54 AM

I am with Von on this one, not just with regards to the Mechanized Company's artillery. OKW trucks take an unholy amount of damage from off-map artillery that makes me want to go into a fetal position and hug my trucks in my poor base.
24 Jul 2014, 08:17 AM
Patrion 14

i hate all these super arties that came with wfa
24 Jul 2014, 08:18 AM

Off-map artillery is the only effective way for the US to deal with OKW trucks. Take that away and they have no way of punishing overextended medic HQs and flak HQS. It's already extremely hard as is since they lack non-doctrinal heavy artillery.
24 Jul 2014, 08:23 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Off-map artillery is the only effective way for the US to deal with OKW trucks. Take that away and they have no way of punishing overextended medic HQs and flak HQS. It's already extremely hard as is since they lack non-doctrinal heavy artillery.

There should be a happy medium between the crap time-on-target artillery and the one from OP
24 Jul 2014, 08:27 AM

punish ≠ instantly obliterate all trucks
24 Jul 2014, 08:30 AM

I disagree empathically. I have had much success with rifles, map control and AT guns. AT guns with long range using garrisoned troops, flares or other line of sight tools do wonders versus OKW trucks (yes, even the flack truck). In a pinch, sustained barraging with on-map artillery, the Scot or Pack howitzers (after the update) will do the trick. This kind of play rewards tactical positioning and map control, and punishes truly overextended trucks.

The off maps, by contrast, are easily used when rushing a tank at the truck deep in enemy territory and dropping the barrage in the LoS just before the unit dies. The tank in this example can be easily substituted by Paratroopers, pathfinders or any sort of "sneak around". Even in a failed attack the offmap will do the trick despite any bad tactics/unit compositions.
24 Jul 2014, 08:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2014, 08:30 AMAshFall

I disagree empathically. I have had much success with rifles, map control and AT guns. AT guns with long range using garrisoned troops, flares or other line of sight tools do wonders versus OKW trucks (yes, even the flack truck). In a pinch, sustained barraging with on-map artillery, the Scot or Pack howitzers (after the update) will do the trick. This kind of play rewards tactical positioning and map control, and punishes truly overextended trucks.

The off maps, by contrast, are easily used when rushing a tank at the truck deep in enemy territory and dropping the barrage in the LoS just before the unit dies. The tank in this example can be easily substituted by Paratroopers, pathfinders or any sort of "sneak around". Even in a failed attack the offmap will do the trick despite any bad tactics/unit compositions.
And I'll have to disagree. Due to lack of heavy early AT there is little risk in setting up extremely forward medic trucks against the US. By the time AT guns does come out OKW can already have their retreat point set up and it incredibly hard for the US to push off a OKW force constantly reinforcing.

While AT guns are effective there are lots of spots where the buildings can be hidden from them or atleast force the US to place them in ways that are extremely hard to defend. The pack howitzer does poor consistent damage and takes 2-3 mins to fully destroy a base giving a lot of time for OKW to constantly reinforce and attack the position and will eventually break down the american defenses from constant blob assaults from the medic HQ. Not to mention that the leig which comes in the same tier will counter both the pack and AT guns while being immune to counter battery due to constant reinforcing.

Then once the OKW player protects the medic HQ with the Flaq HQ it's essentially GG as infantry can't be far ahead enough of the AT guns to actual defend the AT guns effectively and makes tank flanks impossible due to the damage they would do to the rear.

The impossible OKW strat which I see attempted in atleast 50% of my matches against OKW:
Medic bunker with Flak within range
3 schreck volks
2 assualt pios
1-2 puppchen
1 leig

All set up somewhere in the middle of the map to easily reach both sides and shut down US mobility. No armor required. And heavily used in large team games.

The only counter to this combo is to destroy the HQs with off-map as they can take on any combination of US units thrown at them.
24 Jul 2014, 09:26 AM

If you hadn't just posted in the Scavenger topic telling its artillery shouldn't be usable in base sectors, i would maybe take what you say seriously. Double standards, much ?
24 Jul 2014, 09:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2014, 09:26 AMSlaYoU

If you hadn't just posted in the Scavenger topic telling its artillery shouldn't be usable in base sectors, i would maybe take what you say seriously. Double standards, much ?
Normal base structures don't provide any combat use. OKW can build their bases in their base sector just like everyone else and be protected from artillery. Your base being destroyed is the risk you run for putting it further and further out into the map.

So no, I am not contradicting myself.
And I'm not advacating for instant wipes either. Current Mechanized artillery will still leave the base with a bit of health left.

It's just that some people here are talking about making them resistent to artillery and call-ins which is rediculous as these are the main counters to the structures which are extremely hard to approach by normal means.
24 Jul 2014, 10:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2014, 09:26 AMSlaYoU

There is a huge difference.

OKW scavenger arty actually wins the game in 1 click vs USF. Literally, it wins the game via annihilation. The clumped USF base will fall to the self-repeating arty.

Tell me how that is in any way the same as USF arty that doesn't even kill 1 building per use?
24 Jul 2014, 10:16 AM
Patrion 14

Because a base sector isn't the same as a forward position. It's not double standards - its a case of the "safety of the base" vs "I have my base in the middle of the map, thus control is easier and you have no way of stopping or punishing me".
24 Jul 2014, 12:09 PM

Keep in mind that the t2/3 OKW trucks aren't that expensive. 30 fuel.

Does it hurt to lose one? Yes, but you don't want to throw away your entire army trying to defend one. I hate seeing player lose armies or vehicles more expensive than the truck itself just because they feel they need to save it.

If your opponents want to coordinate 360 munitions to destroy your 30 fuel truck then let them have it. You can then see that the opponents are truck aggressive so just plop the new medic truck at your HQ. Then there you go, you have a secure base sector and won't even need to make it a forward HQ.
24 Jul 2014, 12:15 PM

I'm getting the vibe that some players feel that OKW trucks need to be immortal. Or at least immune to artillery so that the truck can be placed 15 meters behind the front line and be completely safe.
24 Jul 2014, 12:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2014, 12:09 PMHambone
Keep in mind that the t2/3 OKW trucks aren't that expensive. 30 fuel.

T1/2 OKW trucks cost 40 fuel, plus the faction has -33% fuel and they can't build a replacement whenever they have the resources available they have to wait 180 secs for another truck then drive a fairly fragile truck to the building site and then wait for it to build. Also while building it still has shitty truck defense so even infantry grenades can gimp it.
24 Jul 2014, 12:36 PM

Yeah, I have the commander and thought the same thing. 180 munitions to wipe out an entire squad of guys + trucks reliably? Sure.

Maybe increasing the cost to 240.
24 Jul 2014, 15:27 PM

Normal base structures don't provide any combat use. OKW can build their bases in their base sector just like everyone else and be protected from artillery. Your base being destroyed is the risk you run for putting it further and further out into the map.

So no, I am not contradicting myself.
And I'm not advacating for instant wipes either. Current Mechanized artillery will still leave the base with a bit of health left.

It's just that some people here are talking about making them resistent to artillery and call-ins which is rediculous as these are the main counters to the structures which are extremely hard to approach by normal means.

Yeah, i probably jumped on you a bit too early. Nevermind what i said, still i think the easy one click truck nuke should be gone, as i also admitted the scavenger doctrine artillery is ridiculously OP right now, and needs to be looked by the balance team.

Punishing a forward medi truck is a huge hit to the Oberkommando player, especially if it comes at no cost, or a very low one.

Being able to "spread" the base is a feature for the OKW, if as you suggest, blatant OPness of some abilities push the players to just settle for the starting area, then something is flawed. A whole faction design, or counters are too strong. As i said in the Scavenger artillery topic, i'm all in for a targeted "artillery resistance" that would apply only to USF and Oberkommando base structures. Would probably solve most of the issues. USF can't decide their base setup and positionning, and OKW somehow rely on this mobility to be able to compete with the other factions, that sounds fair to not punish everyone with one win buttons, don't you think ?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★