Login

russian armor

Easy Eight

• This thread is locked
PAGES (11)down
24 Jul 2014, 01:06 AM

I think performance of this tank deserves separate topic.

My biggest issue it's the ability to spam them.
As I don't play US at all can someone provide me with some details regarding its cost and upkeep?
It looks like that on average you can easily afford to get at least 3 of them in an equal match up.
In my opinion that's a bit too much to handle but I could be wrong and perhaps it's cost is ok and it's simply its performance that needs to be tweaked.

Or maybe this tank is perfectly balanced and I am being delusional?

24 Jul 2014, 01:10 AM

Play US....the rifle company is free this week.

135 fuel, 14 pop. 9 CPs.

For practical reasons I find it pretty similar to the regular sherman except vs. Ostheer T3 and puppchen/panzershrecks.

The stug/P4s/PzS/Puppchen are ineffective against it in a way that is pretty noticeable.
24 Jul 2014, 01:15 AM

Strongest and most cost effective medium tank in the game right now IMHO, even moreso then T34/85. Kills infantry, defeats PIVs effortlessly, penetrates even heavy armour pretty reliably, and with US self repair you get a lot of mileage out of it.
24 Jul 2014, 01:33 AM

yeah it can reliably penetrate a king tiger from the front as well.
24 Jul 2014, 01:36 AM

I encountered them in 2v2s mostly so far , also played them myself.
if the US goes captain he gets all he needs , now with howitzers actually being useful and really strong and atgs.

when you then hit 9 cps and you saved your fuel you can get like 2 easy eights out in notime and that without even any other tec.

as stated above they are easily the most cost effictive tank in the game. they are too good imo since they also dont have any difuculties against heavy tanks and outperform any other US tank by far. And on top of that comes that they also like to snack infantry squads.

not saying US shouldnt have any good tanks , but if you ask me the easy eight needs to be looked at in form of a cost increase
24 Jul 2014, 01:39 AM

The E8's pen is 175.0/165.0/155.0.

It does not penetrate German heavy armor from the front.
24 Jul 2014, 01:43 AM

Why would you limit your perspective? Do you own Western Fronts Armies?

Play as Rifle Company.

The company enables some low-fuel strategies that can then lean on their call-in.

It's not really the tank's fault as it is quite expensive. Call-ins are always overpowered like this. Don't tech to tier 4 and you save 90 fuel right out. Avoid investing heavily in light armor and make due with good infantry. Then spam Easy Eights.

It is an inflexible tactic but it has always been very strong.

Also, I dunno what like... "reliably penetrate a King Tiger from the front" means exactly but the Easy Eight always has a less than 46% chance to penetrate KT front armor. 46% is point-blank range.

I don't wanna get too pedantic but I'd say something that happens with less than a coin-flip's chance is not reliable.

While I am defending the Easy Eight I'm still figuring it out myself. OP? I dunno yet.
24 Jul 2014, 02:02 AM

Used Rifle company first time last night. Two games, double Ost then double OKW. The Easy 8 was fantastic. It feels like the gun fires really fast, faster than Sherman, although maybe I'm just imagining that?

At any rate the pen is good against enemy mediums, and it seems more armored/tougher than reuglar Shermans. Honestly I feel like regular Shermans should be this armored/tough generally since it's the heaviest vehicle we get in the damned game, even if it doesn't have as much offensive punch as the E8.

Did not get to try it against heavies since in both cases we won in under 25 minutes. I think the doctrine will be more balanced if summoning Vet riflemen is altered to require fuel, OR is changed so that you just build normal rifles and then they vet up faster than normal. I think the early game strength is more of an issue than this tank is itself, although I'm sure time will tell if this is just my biased assessment of it or not.

I would happily pay 140-145 fuel for the current tank, it feels *slightly* cheap at 135 fuel.
24 Jul 2014, 02:17 AM

The E8's pen is 175.0/165.0/155.0.

It does not penetrate German heavy armor from the front.

Do you know how the penetration system operates in this game? Even at max range, the chance of penetrating the frontal armour of the King Tiger or the Jagdtiger is more then decent for the E8. Not that it matters all that much because unless you are literally doing it very wrong you wont be trading long range shots with either of those. Against the Panther with 270 frontal armour, who has more of a chance of actually keeping you at bay since it can reverse fairly quickly, you still will penetrate more then 50% of the time at all ranges. I've had Elite Rifle as a drop fairly early on, and the individual strenght of the E8 in conjunction with its spamability and the synergies of its doc make it the strongest medium in the game, easily. Just play it a bit, I guess you will concur.
24 Jul 2014, 02:19 AM

Seems too powerful for cost to me. If it came later it might not be such a problem but at the moment you can get extremely powerful rifles from tier 1, tech to tier 3 for at guns, AA HT, etc and then wait (a fairly short length of time) to call in this very powerful tank.

I'd like to see a cost increase, it pushed back to 11cps, or a reduction in health.
24 Jul 2014, 02:27 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

this thing loves to pen panthers from the front,and it has such a sexy ROF.(From my experience against it)

I wish I had the replay of this 2v2 i played against it a couple of days ago.

It was one of the worst displays of squad wiping and Panther front armor RNG fail i've ever had inflicted against me,and i couldnt tell if it was the RNG,or the E8 being that awesomely OP.

I couldnt touch it with Inf either.. They literally exploded 3-4 guys at a time instantly in front of it every time i tried to approach it with Shrekvolks lol.

I think a JP4 and breakthrough is a great choice against it.

24 Jul 2014, 02:49 AM

this thing loves to pen panthers from the front,and it has such a sexy ROF.(From my experience against it)

I wish I had the replay of this 2v2 i played against it a couple of days ago.

It was one of the worst displays of squad wiping and Panther front armor RNG fail i've ever had inflicted against me,and i couldnt tell if it was the RNG,or the E8 being that awesomely OP.

I couldnt touch it with Inf either.. They literally exploded 3-4 guys at a time instantly in front of it every time i tried to approach it with Shrekvolks lol.

I think a JP4 and breakthrough is a great choice against it.

Not really. But why, you ask? Here is your cookiecutter counter. Amass Munis. Use rifle flare to gain sight on enemy armor. Use WP to obscure JP/ Jagdtiger sight= range advantage nullified. Bumrush with E8 and circlestrafe. GG.
I feel the best tool against the E8 is still the venerable Wehr Pak/Tiger combo. The problem with the Pak is just that WP is strong against it.
24 Jul 2014, 02:56 AM

Definitely haven't seen that. This tank does not reliably/practically penetrate the Axis heavy tanks from the front so it can't stand off against them with back & forth. Too many deflections. The armor is improved but it is penetrated regularly by the Panther, Jagdpanzer and Tiger/KT.

It needs go on flanking runs with side shots to be efficient. Rifle company really demolishes ostheer T3 and ostheer in general and I like how it makes Axis RPG weapons obsolete.
24 Jul 2014, 03:08 AM

Arent these the same complaints as the M4C when it first came out? It got spammed to death in the first week, and then things calmed down. Its practically the same deal.
24 Jul 2014, 03:17 AM

Definitely haven't seen that. This tank does not reliably/practically penetrate the Axis heavy tanks from the front so it can't stand off against them with back & forth. Too many deflections. The armor is improved but it is penetrated regularly by the Panther, Jagdpanzer and Tiger/KT.

It needs go on flanking runs with side shots to be efficient. Rifle company really demolishes ostheer T3 and ostheer in general and I like how it makes Axis RPG weapons obsolete.

It is better at a frontal slug fest then any other US tank, that is for sure. Again, the stats dont lie: More then 50% penetration against panther. But why would you try to stand off vs German heavies in the first place? It plays into their relative strenghts. Fight them like you would fight an Ele with T34s...go in. E8 is ideally suited for that. It does not merely possess a good gun, it also has a high ROF, good acceleration, turret rotation etc. In addition, as said, you have doctrinal abilities which negate their long range shots. Once you are at knifefighting distance, they are at your mercy.
And to be fair: Every US doc demolishes the Ostheer. Rifle Comp just takes the cake.
24 Jul 2014, 03:36 AM

It is better at a frontal slug fest then any other US tank

m36
24 Jul 2014, 03:38 AM

i think it needs a slight fuel increase. it is far better than panther and you don't need to tech.
24 Jul 2014, 03:42 AM

The max fuel increase it can get is 10-15. I checked some stats, and it is super identical to the M4C, with the exception of having much better armor.

They both cost the same, with the easy eight being slightly better in survivability (but health is same at 640).
24 Jul 2014, 03:55 AM

Sorry to disturb you guys, but what really makes this thing very very powerfull is its abillity to hit on the move. It can solo a KT easily ( without sup) and I think its too powerfull since its so cheap.
24 Jul 2014, 04:01 AM

If an E8 solos a KT, whoever micros the KT sucks.

But yeah, for cost it's a really powerful tank. A slight fuel cost increase might be in order. But please don't nerf the tank, for once US has a late-game unit that's not made of papier maché and can slug it out without needing constant micro like the Jackson.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS