Login

russian armor

War Spoils - Let's talk.

22 Jul 2014, 18:28 PM

I believe that the anti-DLC commander whiners, some of which spend hours complaining, are mostly teenagers that want to preserve their weekly allowance dollars.

I think the problem with the DLC was that it was a paywall in it's implementation - this is fine for DLC that has no effect on gameplay (i.e. cosmetic only) - but the commanders, which are game changing mechanics - were put behind that paywall.

The problem now is that there's still no GUARANTEED way to EARN Commanders - it's either try your luck on the RNG OR you pay up. It's still forcing a DLC with no absolute way to get a Commander without:

A) Pure Luck
B) Paying for it.

There really needs to be an additional way:

C) Earn it

You reach a rank or XP or hours played - you hit a visible landmark achievement - then you get that Commander.

The DLC paywall should only be a "Fast pass" TO that Commander - not the ONLY way to it.

Its not about being cheap - or whiny - or ungrateful etc - its about fairness.

We PAID for the game - We PAID for the expansion - It's not a Free2Play title where they could justify you pay for "extras".
22 Jul 2014, 18:52 PM

I think the problem with the DLC was that it was a paywall in it's implementation - this is fine for DLC that has no effect on gameplay (i.e. cosmetic only) - but the commanders, which are game changing mechanics - were put behind that paywall.

The problem now is that there's still no GUARANTEED way to EARN Commanders - it's either try your luck on the RNG OR you pay up. It's still forcing a DLC with no absolute way to get a Commander without:

A) Pure Luck
B) Paying for it.

C) Earn it

You reach a rank or XP or hours played - you hit a visible landmark achievement - then you get that Commander.

The DLC paywall should only be a "Fast pass" TO that Commander - not the ONLY way to it.

We PAID for the game - We PAID for the expansion - It's not a Free2Play title where they could justify you pay for "extras".

I agree that game changing options should never be DLC in a game that is meant to be competitive, but at this point the horse has bolted.

Not to mention I can hardly blame relic, when someone brings up other suggestions that serve to improve the balance and competitive nature of the game like Mirror Matches, half the community openly says they would rather have historical accuracy than balance or competitive options. It seems this game has a fanbase that isn't so concerned about the competitive side that they are willing to accept paid commanders.

Which is fine by me, I play this game for fun and don't worry about my win/loss record or having to have all the commanders. I figure the game is also just inherently un-competitive to a degree thanks to the RNG dependance of so many weapons and tactics. Not to mention Relic seem to agree by making commander abilities RNG as well (random vet levels for call ins anyone? That's hardly in line with competitive gaming mindsets).

I guess I just see it all as new content now, I probably won't pay for it because 3 commanders for OKW is more than enough for me now, but if I do ever want to buy one for fun I'm glad I can instead of having to wait a billion years for it to maybe drop in the lottery.

Hi folks,

We've just put up a new blog post regarding War Spoils, and community feedback we've received so far.

You can read it here: http://bit.ly/LetsTalkWarSpoils

Thanks!

Well played! Going from everyone complaining about p2w to everyone demanding p2w in a few short months is brilliant on Relics part. Reminds me of reverse psychology and should be filed under "be careful what you wish for"

:D

Nobody said life is fair. Deal with the possibilities.
22 Jul 2014, 18:58 PM

First of all, Cynthia, it's great to see somebody other than Noun communicate to us. This has helped me understand war spoils so much.
22 Jul 2014, 19:17 PM

War Spoils is a great idea. It allows people, who have the time to invest, to obtain content that would be otherwise issued with a price tag. Although this model is nothing new, it still is a cool way of shedding the "pay to win" label that was given by certain members of the community. This platform of introducing new content will be valuable throughout the lifespan of CoH2.

There is only one issue I see wrong with War Spoils. It is a huge slap to the face of those who have spent a substantial amount of money for Sov/Ost Commanders, and skins. I understand it will entice the WFA only owners to invest in more of the original comment, but at the same time it gives a chance for free things that people purchased for, in the past.

I would like to know how, or if, Relic has any plan on compensating the people who have spent money on commanders and skins. Is this just asking for too much and our prior purchases were in vain, or is there a remedy for this in the future?
22 Jul 2014, 19:22 PM

I believe that the anti-DLC commander whiners, some of which spend hours complaining, are mostly teenagers that want to preserve their weekly allowance dollars.

Hell, I'm a student who lives on a weekly allowance. I really don't mind spending a couple of bucks on a game I play so much. So I really don't think that's much of an excuse. A commander that gives me hours of enjoyment is well worth the price of a soda.
22 Jul 2014, 19:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2014, 17:02 PMnigo
Thanks relic....

Wfa skins will be in the shop too?

Eager to purchase all WFA skins already ? :P

Inigo Montoya, the king of Ostentação.
22 Jul 2014, 19:43 PM

Hell, I'm a student who lives on a weekly allowance. I really don't mind spending a couple of bucks on a game I play so much. So I really don't think that's much of an excuse. A commander that gives me hours of enjoyment is well worth the price of a soda.

I am far from being a student, but i agree to 100%.
22 Jul 2014, 19:48 PM

War Spoils is a great idea. It allows people, who have the time to invest, to obtain content that would be otherwise issued with a price tag. Although this model is nothing new, it still is a cool way of shedding the "pay to win" label that was given by certain members of the community. This platform of introducing new content will be valuable throughout the lifespan of CoH2.

There is only one issue I see wrong with War Spoils. It is a huge slap to the face of those who have spent a substantial amount of money for Sov/Ost Commanders, and skins. I understand it will entice the WFA only owners to invest in more of the original comment, but at the same time it gives a chance for free things that people purchased for, in the past.

I would like to know how, or if, Relic has any plan on compensating the people who have spent money on commanders and skins. Is this just asking for too much and our prior purchases were in vain, or is there a remedy for this in the future?

I don't see the issue. If you paid for the commanders already, not only have you had all the time previous to War Spoils to enjoy them while nobody else could get them, you are also now able to use them 100% of the time guaranteed with no limits while everyone else and their wife need to wait for the potential lottery or a free weekend. It's the same as having it in War Spoils now or being able to buy it, you basically pay for the ability to guarantee it's use forever with no limitations.
22 Jul 2014, 20:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2014, 19:48 PMMadeMan

I don't see the issue. If you paid for the commanders already, not only have you had all the time previous to War Spoils to enjoy them while nobody else could get them, you are also now able to use them 100% of the time guaranteed with no limits while everyone else and their wife need to wait for the potential lottery or a free weekend. It's the same as having it in War Spoils now or being able to buy it, you basically pay for the ability to guarantee it's use forever with no limitations.

At the same time, the items I purchased does not increase my ability to receive newer content. I will receive duplicates to the very items I already paid. In essence, I have a far greater chance in receiving duplicates, thus being a handicap for obtaining premium content via War Spoils. Is that fair?
22 Jul 2014, 20:10 PM

My main issue with war spoils (apart from the whole damn thing) is waiting ages for a drop then getting the same studded gold faceplate that I now have 3 times!!! For god sake at least make the drops unique.

Can I suggest that if you are going to continue giving us the same drops every time Relic at least allow us to trade our unlocks between us, at least then I wont feel like I am wasting my time.

I get any more face plates I will have enough to build a war memorial.
22 Jul 2014, 20:12 PM

At the same time, the items I purchased does not increase my ability to receive newer content. I will receive duplicates to the very items I already paid. In essence, I have a far greater chance in receiving duplicates, thus being a handicap for obtaining premium content via War Spoils. Is that fair?

Yes.

I don't see what more I have to say, you paid for the guarantee to use those commanders at any time you see fit without having to depend on a lottery to get them. Anything else is irrelevant unless other non-paying players also get that benefit.

Not to mention duplicates will have some value apparently so let's see where that goes...
22 Jul 2014, 20:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2014, 20:12 PMMadeMan
Yes.

I don't see what more I have to say, you paid for the guarantee to use those commanders at any time you see fit without having to depend on a lottery to get them. Anything else is irrelevant unless other non-paying players also get that benefit.

Not to mention duplicates will have some value apparently so let's see where that goes...

People here seem to have a poor concept of what an informed consumer purchase is.

Somehow the logic that they knew what they were paying for, and paid for it and got it, is insufficient to explain to them why they don't ALSO deserve super special treatment by Relic in the war spoils system.

Mindless desire for more is an easy cloud to any sense of perspective or common sense.
22 Jul 2014, 20:20 PM
Patrion 15

A) Pure Luck
B) Paying for it.

C) Earn it

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue. I'm glad that the commanders are available for purchase, but in order for the P2W label to go away, there needs to be a reliable way to earn the commanders.
22 Jul 2014, 20:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2014, 20:12 PMMadeMan

Yes.

Ok, let us see where it goes.
22 Jul 2014, 20:27 PM
Patrion 14

No, Milka is right. It seems a lot of people in this community just want to get free shit quick and easy. Relic is a company. They HAVE to make money, they can't just give you people free shit.

QFT
22 Jul 2014, 20:28 PM
Patrion 14

Jesus, there's hope for the future. Well said, that man.

Shame the rest of your generation think digital content is delivered at night by fairies.
3 of 6 Relic postsRelic 22 Jul 2014, 20:52 PM
Developer Relic Badge

My main issue with war spoils (apart from the whole damn thing) is waiting ages for a drop then getting the same studded gold faceplate that I now have 3 times!!! For god sake at least make the drops unique.

Can I suggest that if you are going to continue giving us the same drops every time Relic at least allow us to trade our unlocks between us, at least then I wont feel like I am wasting my time.

I get any more face plates I will have enough to build a war memorial.

Our plan is to create value for duplicates - this will be addressed.
4 of 6 Relic postsRelic 22 Jul 2014, 20:53 PM
Developer Relic Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2014, 18:58 PMVonIvan
First of all, Cynthia, it's great to see somebody other than Noun communicate to us. This has helped me understand war spoils so much.

Noun is awesome. For real. I'm a new edition to the community team, hence my recent appearance - you will see more of me here and there. I like to appear and disappear in puffs of smoke.

... maybe not, but the idea sounded really cool in my head.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment