Login

russian armor

Maxim Spam

• This thread is locked
PAGES (7)down
21 Jul 2014, 08:10 AM

Ok, I know there are alot of you out there that think the Maxim is ok right now, which I agree with in a 1v1 sense. It is in team games (2v2 and higher) however that the Maxim becomes almost unstoppable. I am not the worlds greatest player but nor am I the worst it just pains me to play 2v2at with my mate at the moment as Axis as every game we face Maxim spam done by half competent players and it is nigh unbeatable.

3 Maxims into a Zis into 2 more Maxims and with the support of the team mate it becomes impossible to flank properly. Yes you will say get a HT as Wehr or Mortar or Infantry Support Gun (430MP) but they kill far to slow in comparison to how fast maxims can be spammed out. At 6 crew these things are impossible to kill properly and their reinforcement cost is a joke. Please I emplore you Relic to fix this 1 unit, either by Upping the MP cost to around 360 and a reinforce cost of 30 or better yet lower them to 4 men and decrease the supression rate to that of the MG42 (at least 3 burts it seems.) Another problem with this build is the lack of manpower drain so it is quite easy to get a fuel OP or 2 up and before you know it here come the t34's when you are still trying to counter the maxims let alone tanks....

Before you say Axis fanboy, I am not I play mainly Allies and infact the last 5 games my AT partner and I have decided to adhere to the old addage if you cant beat em join em so we have. 5 games as Allies, 5 games of Maxim spam, 5 wins. This may not be that big of a problem with higher level of players but for the majority mid tier players this unit is a massive blight to the game that needs addressing ASAP. Thankyou for you time, Cheers Grund.
21 Jul 2014, 08:47 AM

Everytime I see a thread about this the change is always so extreme.

Increase the manpower cost by 50%!

Decrease the number of members by two!

Make the gun setup twice as slow!

These are such extreme changes for this unit. You readily admit that the unit is balanced in other game modes and likely it is balanced if you were better at the game. You'd ruin the weapon at different skill tiers with such monumental changes. The change should be incremental if anything.

I am I guess one of these high level players who will sometimes see Maxim Spam in team games and generally just plays around it.

I am actually working on a guide right now which has essentially been my OKW team strategy and seems to handle Maxims quite well.

I just don't think there's a huge problem here. I'd say that there's a "micro unfairness" to the Maxim insofar as it is easy to control and use and flanking it is harder. Managing multiple units to flank it is exceptionally hard and generally hard-countered by spamming them. All you need to do is change your build though! If you see two Maxim spammers then you need to get indirect fire ASAP. You don't need a big front line of Grenadiers to fight Maxims necessarily.

The Maxim is dead-end unit though. It can never improve it's utility to the army. Grenadiers, Volksgrenadiers, Conscripts and Riflemen can be upgraded and modified to change to battlefield conditions. They can throw grenades, tackle and kill armored units or specialize against infantry.

The Maxim has no flexbility. If you exploit that and exploit it's weaknesses against indirect fire and buildings you can fight it very well.

21 Jul 2014, 08:59 AM

this is nr 9000 of usless maxim spam threat. its a bit harder to counter then normal but its not inposible and i hardly ever met an opponent where he could win a game with maxim spam.
21 Jul 2014, 09:11 AM

It is annoying, but if he has 6 maxims, one or two indirect fire units isn't going to cut it. As OKW you should be able to get two IGSs out with an IR ht.. This is the only situation I buy one it. Use them together to focus fire and watch squads drop. Heal them with the medic hq and move occasionally.

If you can out indirect fire them, you only leave them one option , frontal assault, which is harder with so many maxims.. So just prepare enough AT. Can be easier said than done thou :s
21 Jul 2014, 09:34 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jul 2014, 08:10 AMGrund
Ok, I know there are alot of you out there that think the Maxim is ok right now, which I agree with in a 1v1 sense. It is in team games (2v2 and higher) however that the Maxim becomes almost unstoppable. I am not the worlds greatest player but nor am I the worst it just pains me to play 2v2at with my mate at the moment as Axis as every game we face Maxim spam done by half competent players and it is nigh unbeatable.

3 Maxims into a Zis into 2 more Maxims and with the support of the team mate it becomes impossible to flank properly. Yes you will say get a HT as Wehr or Mortar or Infantry Support Gun (430MP) but they kill far to slow in comparison to how fast maxims can be spammed out. At 6 crew these things are impossible to kill properly and their reinforcement cost is a joke. Please I emplore you Relic to fix this 1 unit, either by Upping the MP cost to around 360 and a reinforce cost of 30 or better yet lower them to 4 men and decrease the supression rate to that of the MG42 (at least 3 burts it seems.) Another problem with this build is the lack of manpower drain so it is quite easy to get a fuel OP or 2 up and before you know it here come the t34's when you are still trying to counter the maxims let alone tanks....

Before you say Axis fanboy, I am not I play mainly Allies and infact the last 5 games my AT partner and I have decided to adhere to the old addage if you cant beat em join em so we have. 5 games as Allies, 5 games of Maxim spam, 5 wins. This may not be that big of a problem with higher level of players but for the majority mid tier players this unit is a massive blight to the game that needs addressing ASAP. Thankyou for you time, Cheers Grund.

Played properly its worse in 1v1 too.
21 Jul 2014, 10:45 AM

The accompanying zis trollage always catches me off guard.

But I am playing at low level, because even I can tell that those 500 or so munitions saved up before you can break the maxim line is better invested in dozens of mines.
21 Jul 2014, 10:49 AM

Everytime I see a thread about this the change is always so extreme.

Increase the manpower cost by 50%!

Decrease the number of members by two!

Make the gun setup twice as slow!

These are such extreme changes for this unit. You readily admit that the unit is balanced in other game modes and likely it is balanced if you were better at the game. You'd ruin the weapon at different skill tiers with such monumental changes. The change should be incremental if anything.

I am I guess one of these high level players who will sometimes see Maxim Spam in team games and generally just plays around it.

I am actually working on a guide right now which has essentially been my OKW team strategy and seems to handle Maxims quite well.

I just don't think there's a huge problem here. I'd say that there's a "micro unfairness" to the Maxim insofar as it is easy to control and use and flanking it is harder. Managing multiple units to flank it is exceptionally hard and generally hard-countered by spamming them. All you need to do is change your build though! If you see two Maxim spammers then you need to get indirect fire ASAP. You don't need a big front line of Grenadiers to fight Maxims necessarily.

The Maxim is dead-end unit though. It can never improve it's utility to the army. Grenadiers, Volksgrenadiers, Conscripts and Riflemen can be upgraded and modified to change to battlefield conditions. They can throw grenades, tackle and kill armored units or specialize against infantry.

The Maxim has no flexbility. If you exploit that and exploit it's weaknesses against indirect fire and buildings you can fight it very well.

AMEN

+1
21 Jul 2014, 11:16 AM

Wouldn't mind seeing a slight nerf to its almost instant suppression though.

No one liked it when mg42's did it ages ago (if anyone remembers) - and it wasn't fun to play against. It's no different now.

If the suppression value or mobility need to stay the same, then squads need to be able to recover from maxim suppression faster somehow
21 Jul 2014, 11:22 AM

Permanently Banned
Well if Sovjets were given an actually useful non doctrinal infantry unit, people wouldn't build so many Maxims to counter the german grenadiers... :)
21 Jul 2014, 11:28 AM

Played properly its worse in 1v1 too.

Riddle me this: Why can't a single maxim spammer even make it into the top-50 of 1vs1 if they're so insanely op like you say? And why doesn't a single one of the "top" players actually do it?
21 Jul 2014, 11:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jul 2014, 11:28 AMCruzz

Riddle me this: Why can't a single maxim spammer even make it into the top-50 of 1vs1 if they're so insanely op like you say? And why doesn't a single one of the "top" players actually do it?

Good question, considering the "top" players will do everything and anything to get that one more win(OKW truck abuse by certain top player who have the skills to win without that anyone?)
21 Jul 2014, 11:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jul 2014, 11:28 AMCruzz

But they did.
21 Jul 2014, 12:04 PM

Maxim spam would be less frequent if soviet players had another alternatives to deal with OKW infantry spam.

Buff penals and make cons scale better in the lategame and you will see less maxims in the game.
21 Jul 2014, 12:06 PM

But they did.

Very convincing argument. As far as my experiences go, the highest ranked player who usually makes 3 or more maxims early on is Valkyrie, currently rank 94. Pretty bad ranking for such an "op" strat.
21 Jul 2014, 12:23 PM

Con/Maxim Con/Maxim...Repeat the sanctified build order till thee hath attained to the glory of the top 50 and Cruzz shall succor thee in his bosom.

21 Jul 2014, 12:26 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing a slight nerf to its almost instant suppression though.

where do you people get this from

MAYBE if you're in negative cover and eat a full burst you get suppressed fast, but otherwise it takes a good 3 seconds to suppress anything, and it has a much smaller suppression splash than other MGs
21 Jul 2014, 12:27 PM

Con/Maxim Con/Maxim...Repeat the sanctified build order till thee hath attained to the glory of the top 50 and Cruzz shall succor thee in his bosom.

If there are cons, its not maximspam, but combined arms.
21 Jul 2014, 13:54 PM

I love how it always comes back to 1v1. I specifically said I dont really have an issue with it 1v1, it is in team games 2v2 and up where the problem is compounded. You cant flank them when the opponents use supporting inf (the other player) and they are half co-ordinated. It just feels so cheesy. We face it ALL THE TIME in 2v2 and its a massive struggle to get ahead as axis but change to Allies and spam them with my US team mate supporting with mass rifles and its just so much easier. There is a big problem here and it really does need to be addressed ASAP.

I mean, when you see the same thing 9/10 games then I think that is saying the build is a tad too effective and really needs to be looked at.
21 Jul 2014, 19:37 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Rifles/Cons + maxims isn´t combined arms ?
21 Jul 2014, 20:57 PM

the maxim is over performing for cost and has no weaknesses compared to the other mg's . do not say small arch because that's the sign of severely bad micro. And with severely i mean both hands amputated level of micro.

I believe it needs a range nerf, this also fixes that the maxims can simply charge an mg42 and win. Its hilarious however that some people say they need maxims to counter OKW infantry. as far as i know you dont need maxim to counter to counter volks or sturmpioneers and maxim spam actually will fail vs obersoldaten.

Also the Luchs is at the wrong place and need to be added to the kamfgruppen truck
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS