Login

russian armor

Soviet combined - Maxim spam+mortar+Zis+Shocks

20 Jul 2014, 16:27 PM

Hello there,
again, after todays row of 5 or more loses, I would like to describe our problem as Axis with double SU.

Usually, what we see now, is that one soviet playr goes maxim spam a mortars, and second goes mortars, con spam and snipers. They lock the map around all VP and tech up.
Our mortars are destroyed by theirs, the same with sniper, moreover at 2cp the shocks came and when we try to pull out early PZ, there are already 2 ZIs AT guns waiting.

Please advice what to do.
20 Jul 2014, 19:40 PM

So, your enemies gets cons, maxims, mortars, snipers, and AT guns? That's not spam, that's combined arms. Between the two of them, they've built T1 and T2, and every unit from those buildings but scout cars and penals.

There's no real "counter" to a combined arms strat like this. I think you'll get better advice if you upload a replay where you lost to this and see if people can identify the mistakes you're making.

Incidentally, if you're one of the people who play Axis-only or Axis-mostly, I encourage you to play as Allies some and see if you can implement the strategy that's giving you trouble.
25 Jul 2014, 04:28 AM

Yeah mate what symbolsix said, you really just have to out play them with your combined arms. No way around it.
28 Jul 2014, 22:09 PM

OK, so here is a replay from today.

Seriously, we are getting hammered with this strategy again, and again and its not fun to play at all, when you loose all the time :((

SU build maxims, mortars, zis to lock the VPs, and when I try to counter, shock came and blasts EVERYTHING.

Tell me please somebody, how to get the mapcontrol against this..

OH impossible to win replay
28 Jul 2014, 23:20 PM

Okay, so, I'm not going to watch the full replay. Here's where I think the initial problems are:

1) You seem to build units without thinking about them. There are a bunch of soviet MGs in the south, and are also several Allied mortars on the field. The Axis counter with... mostly volks and grens? Three squads of Jaeger Light Infantry? Given the situation and the enemy units, you make almost the worst possible unit choices - volks with shrecks do you no good by the time I stopped watching, and you get *three* of them without a hint of allied armor. I'm unfamiliar with Jaeger, but they seem to be fragile long range troops; again, a very poor choice for the tight quarters of this map.

I kept waiting for the ISG t ocome out from the T2 OKW player, but it just didn't happen; an egregious oversight. There's an admirably early stuka from one guy and it quickly starts laying waste, but that and one mortar squad just

2) The one thing about your unit comp that I think makes good sense is the double sturmpio build from both OKW. However, one pair of sturm squads both get down to low health in a building, and when they're ordered to leave you send them out the wrong door, into the guns of the Americans and with a retreat path right through the enemy arty.

3) The other OKW player tries to fight a rifle squad and *two stormtrooper squads* with a pair of volks squads; the results are as tragic as they are predictable.

3) Meanwhile, the OST play hasn't made as many terrible mistakes, having kept his squads mostly alive, but he's got four gren squads, only one mortar, and no flamethrower on his pioneers. Remember that flamethrowers ignore armor and clear buildings; they're much more appropriate to the fight on the south side of the map than LMGs on as many grens as possible. At one point, the Allies fight off three upgraded gren squads with a single maxim and a squad of stormtroopers.

4) The last thing I saw was an aircraft crash into a large group of infantry, wiping or near-wiping all of them. This is partly RNG, but also partly "Don't ever bunch up infantry!"

In sum, I think the Allies chose their units more effectively than the Axis in the first ten minutes of the game. OST can clear buildings and ward off stormtroopers with flamethrowers, while OKW can use volks grenades for the former and sturmpios for the latter until a Puma or ISG rolls out. Remember that Maxims only suppress one squad, no matter how blobby their target, so any two infantry units can push one around; hop into green cover or a building with the first and YOLO up the middle with the second.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★