Login

russian armor

OKW Infiltration Tactics Grenade Assault

19 Jul 2014, 12:46 PM

If you are not aware of the OKW Infiltration Tactics Grenade Assault ability, it is a commander ability that gives Volksgrenadiers and Obersoldaten a grenade ability that requires 120 seconds to recharge while not in combat.

The problem with it is that the 120 second timer gets reset to 120 second again if you get into combat in the middle of the recharging process. So unless you let your squads sit out the full 2 minutes out of combat in one piece (and any tiny thing may mean you are already in combat), you are never going to recharge the ability again.

2 minutes is quite long and I don't see people let their squads sit in base for that time just so they can throw one time their grenades, even if the ability is helpful in dealing with garrisoned units. In my opinion the recharge timer shouldn't be completely reset when you get "in combat" again but just be paused and continue where it was when you are out of combat again. Either that or the recharge duration should be reduced maybe.
19 Jul 2014, 12:49 PM

It does not get reset, AFAIK. I'm fairly certain the cooldown just pauses.

For 10 muni, though, well worth it.
19 Jul 2014, 14:39 PM

Yea I have no idea why someone would complain about this 10 munitions ability, just use other units for 2 minutes lol
19 Jul 2014, 15:01 PM

it's all fine.
19 Jul 2014, 15:02 PM

I'm glad you brought this up, but I will completely bring this discussion to the other side:

These grenades should have a price increase to 30 munitions, You almost have the CD up by the time you finish de capping and re capping a fuel or munitions point. The timer does not reset (maybe you had a bug) and units that spawn before 3CP already start their cool downs meaning that when you reach 3 CPs you have infiltration grenades available to the number of volks grens you have.

There is no reason to get more grenades for less munitions. They are similar to assault grens grenades which cost 45 munitions.

One more thing to consider: How often do you use grenades? many times they can be dodged and with the economy disadvantage many OKW players only use them sparingly. My point is that the time between grenade usage is usually close to the infiltration CD when you trade off which unit is doing it spreading out when the ability is up. This means you are consistently saving 20 munitions for more which is pretty goofy.
19 Jul 2014, 15:36 PM

This ability also comes in the new scavenge commander and anything you salvage will give 15 munitions with this commander salvaging pays for these nades.
I like to use it vs garrisons or mgs and is also good vs the infantry blobs anything else can just dodge it but when 3 or more squads are moving up to your volks faces, 5, 10 or more nades depending of how many squads you have will usually kill off a lot of models, it does seem to cheap for its performance but then again cant really use it that often and resource starved faction and all
19 Jul 2014, 15:41 PM

Why Light Jaeger infantry doesnt have these infiltration grenades? I used them yesterday, and I can asure you that they dont have.
19 Jul 2014, 15:52 PM

I was pretty sure that the timer does in fact reset. I had units not be able to throw the grenade all game long anymore, back then I wasn't sure though why it happened. Now while I was watching a replay I noticed that the cooldown on a unit was back at 120 seconds after leaving a combat when before that combat it was already nearly recharged. Then it wouldn't matter to me personally if the ability is cheap to use if I can only use it one time per unit and game.

But yeah, I guess I will just cycle my units more. Seems just a bit counterintuitive with all that "forward truck placement" stuff to reduce time you need to get back in fight.
19 Jul 2014, 16:34 PM

ability is very good, but when enemy expects them then it's hard to make them useful
19 Jul 2014, 16:40 PM

I heard that too. The sturmpioneers also cannot use infiltration grenades, which is a disappointment.

It looks like the ability is restricted to volksgrenadiers and obers.

For scavenger, the LJI usually replace the volksgrens so it makes the ability not very useful or worthless.

Overall, I see infiltration as largely a buff for volksgrenadiers.

Why Light Jaeger infantry doesnt have these infiltration grenades? I used them yesterday, and I can asure you that they do
20 Jul 2014, 03:31 AM

This blob nade is the reason why I love the OKW Command Panther doctrine atm.

Very good to clear out enemy building or deal against heavy blob ( You should try to hide first to create suprise - I found it works well in Semoisky and some 2vs2 maps ).

The cool down time never was a problem to me and I find that ability always available for at least 1 or 2 units on the field for me. Usually on the field I have at least 4 to 5 units can use that ability ( 2 Volksgrenadiers, 2 or 3 Obers ).

The ability restricted to Volksgrenadier, Ober and the unit come from Scavenger Doctrine only. But that's good because it makes the Volks squad worth using at late game rather than just a Panzersherck carry unit.

I disagreed that Sturmpioneers should be able to use this infiltration grenades. Reason ?

- This is a start unit with heavy firepower.
- Can repair vehicles fast, able to scan for mines but still able to switch back to 4 MP44 gun.
- Can drop Medical Supplies fast on the field for other units to heal ( Not fully but good enough to stay back on the field )
- can make wire to stop Light Vehicles + mines.

So er yeah, this unit is fine as it is. The stun grenade is not my favorite because it cost too much and AOE is kinda small ( Just like the one come from Elite doctrine ). You better retreat than using that grenade.

20 Jul 2014, 04:06 AM

It's a good cheap ability, it needs some draw backs to not be spamable. Your supposed to stall capping away from the enemy to let it recharge.

It's also supposed to have synergy with the radio silence ability so you can sneak up on a garrison or capping squad without your opponent noticing on the mini map.
20 Jul 2014, 04:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jul 2014, 03:31 AMKyle
This blob nade is the reason why I love the OKW Command Panther doctrine atm.

Very good to clear out enemy building or deal against heavy blob ( You should try to hide first to create suprise - I found it works well in Semoisky and some 2vs2 maps ).

The cool down time never was a problem to me and I find that ability always available for at least 1 or 2 units on the field for me. Usually on the field I have at least 4 to 5 units can use that ability ( 2 Volksgrenadiers, 2 or 3 Obers ).

The ability restricted to Volksgrenadier, Ober and the unit come from Scavenger Doctrine only. But that's good because it makes the Volks squad worth using at late game rather than just a Panzersherck carry unit.

I disagreed that Sturmpioneers should be able to use this infiltration grenades. Reason ?

- This is a start unit with heavy firepower.
- Can repair vehicles fast, able to scan for mines but still able to switch back to 4 MP44 gun.
- Can drop Medical Supplies fast on the field for other units to heal ( Not fully but good enough to stay back on the field )
- can make wire to stop Light Vehicles + mines.

So er yeah, this unit is fine as it is. The stun grenade is not my favorite because it cost too much and AOE is kinda small ( Just like the one come from Elite doctrine ). You better retreat than using that grenade.

Its clearly viable, the problem is because the cool down starts even before you unlock them and it picks up where it leaves off. See it has a draw back which is easily avoidable through cycling which unit throws their grenades next. The infiltration grenades need to be at least 30 munitions because a regular grenade cost that much. On top of that, the assault grens have similar grenades, and theirs cost 45 munitions.
20 Jul 2014, 07:55 AM

You can't just compare it to other grenades and say it should be this much. It's a doctrinal ability, some are passive.. Some are amazing.. But in this case the trade off is no call in infantry. So this grenade is to make up for no MGs, Falls or Fusilliers.
20 Jul 2014, 07:59 AM

30 munitions is way too much for a side that has reduced munitions income and for a power that has a long cooldown and doesn't cooldown in combat.

This power already has weaknesses like it is slow to go off and it cannot be used often. The munitions cost and the payload are the only advantages it has going for it.

I quite like 10 munitions for the cost of the power. I could see 15 perhaps but I would not like to see anything like 25 or 30. This is an ability that is supposed to be cheap munitions wise. Strip that away and it's just a less flexible grenade with large downsides.
21 Jul 2014, 03:19 AM

Wait what ? At least 30 munitions ?

- This grenade can only be use by Volksgrenadier/ Obersodaten atm. (JLIR squad can't use them).

- You WILL know when those infantry use this ( all squad members stop fire and put their hands into their di** , I mean pants ) Also, the animation time is slower than the normal grenade so you have plenty of chance to change position

So er no, this grenade is fine as it is. Even for only 10 muni, you can easy avoid it as long as you don't blob... Rifleman, Conscript or Guards in building can also easy jump out when you see enemy start doing the animation.

This grenade only effect against weapon team ( outside and in building ).
21 Jul 2014, 11:17 AM

i still dont get why the JLI cannot use it. when i got the commander i was like "well, nice synergy"
oh how dissapointed i was :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS