Login

russian armor

Greyhound´s canister shot

19 Jul 2014, 00:24 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Is it balanced or not? Stats, someone plox?
So far on the only game i faced it, it 1 shot 3 squads on 3 shots. RNGesus or working as intended?
19 Jul 2014, 00:40 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

yeah its crazy.
19 Jul 2014, 00:52 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

It only one shots if the models bunch up,against 4 man squads.(or if you're unlucky with 5-6 men squads.)

Its 50 Munitions.

Its really just an expensive guards grenade on a fragile mobile vehicle.

If it DOESNT wipe a squad then it's a huge waste.
19 Jul 2014, 01:08 AM

I Had a game where it wiped a full health 4-mad gren squad, I was amazed lol
19 Jul 2014, 01:50 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

It only one shots if the models bunch up,against 4 man squads.(or if you're unlucky with 5-6 men squads.)

Its 50 Munitions.

Its really just an expensive guards grenade on a fragile mobile vehicle.

If it DOESNT wipe a squad then it's a huge waste.

I can dodge a nade, i see an animation plus theres a timer between it flies, lands, and explodes.
If it doesn´t wipe, you can always chase the unit on retreat, but that´s another history.

I guess i have to be thankfull that it´s on a weak rare commander.
19 Jul 2014, 03:27 AM
Donator 11

Greyhounds have fairly obvious tells when they're going to fire canister shot. They have to be up very close and they stop firing their main cannon. If it's fired (it likes to bug out if the enemy moves) the area of effect is pretty tight. Squad survival is basically determined by how much they bunch or blob up and a 4 man squad should not die if they're reasonably dispersed.

I feel the best counter to an m8 is a panzershcreck. Two shots is really all it takes to kill, so charging a volk squad and failing to wipe the squad will result in it's death. Panzergrenadiers kill them in one salvo.
19 Jul 2014, 08:57 AM

20 range
50 munition

40 damage in a 3 radius with low penetration (~3)
Critical: Any infantry unit taking damage dies.
19 Jul 2014, 09:27 AM

Its fine, its not early game unit, it got hefty cost, the doctrine is faaaar from amazing or even optimal and without skirts it will loose to armored car, puma walks over it like it wasn't there, both can be on field well before it arrives.
19 Jul 2014, 11:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2014, 09:27 AMKatitof
Its fine, its not early game unit, it got hefty cost, the doctrine is faaaar from amazing or even optimal and without skirts it will loose to armored car, puma walks over it like it wasn't there, both can be on field well before it arrives.

You say everything's fine. You're like an old broken record, it saddens me.

It comes too early to have unavoidable-squad-wipe ability. Effectively if you see it, you have to retreat your inf. Not just walk back to cover but retreat to base.
19 Jul 2014, 11:20 AM

It comes too early to have unavoidable-squad-wipe ability. Effectively if you see it, you have to retreat your inf. Not just walk back to cover but retreat to base.

Dude, I think it comes around the same time of the Puma, its not like the M8 is going to kill the puma if your not carefull (like what the M15AA does), I think its fine, but the issue I have is that I cant recoginize when is the M8 going to canister shell one of my squads...
19 Jul 2014, 11:20 AM

I've faced this doc once against a popular player who shall go unnamed...for now. ;) It would be fair to say he milked it for all it was worth, and more often then not canister would cost me a squad, even on retreat. Might have been bad luck, hard to say, but I reckon it should be looked at.
19 Jul 2014, 11:23 AM
Patrion 14

It's rather easy to get a puma out by 3 CPs.

The canister shot seems powerful, however the m8 is outclassed by both the m15 for crowd control or the Stuart as a light tank, which are in most cases just the better choice for their respective roles.
19 Jul 2014, 11:25 AM

And what saddens me is that 100% of units are always imbalanced in some players heads, but it doesn't stop them from complaining about everything.

Guess what? In CoH1 it was instant shot that could wipe whole blob and it was fine and stuart could fight light armor as well.
Its fine as well here.

You'll squad wipe only if squad clumps up.
Greyhound is squishy, arrives when you have plethora of counters, looses to scout cars(pair of 222s will obliterate it and its not like pair of 222s is a bad idea against USF to begin with), looses to puma, even Luchs makes a short work of it.

Its expensive at 280mp 40fu, which means there will not be any AA halftrucks, its ability isn't instant, so retreating squads that weren't cut off are safe as well as garrisons duu to spread.

Its 100% AI light vehicle in a doctrine that is overall quite poor. Its the only cost effective thing in the doctrine.

I happen to have that doctrine(my only doctrine that dropped for me since WFA release) and while it can squad wipe, its not 100% chance and Wehr have all the means to counter it, just as OKW.
19 Jul 2014, 11:30 AM

Its not that the Greyhound can't be countered by either German faction. The point is that its anti-infantry potency, especially its squadwipe potential via canister shot might be too strong for what it costs. Most other vehicles actually need to chase down a squad and inflict sustained dps to kill it, with all the associated risks, while the Greyhound doesnt. Some sort of damage modifier against retreating models might fix this.
19 Jul 2014, 12:21 PM

Sadly very few people have access to this commander, and can comment on this, that probably wont change in the next 1 or 2 years due to this abysmal drop rate.

I dont remember it being different from vCOH stuart canister shot in Alpha...
19 Jul 2014, 13:12 PM
Donator 11

It's a munition heavy ability on a munition heavy unit in a munition heavy doctrine in a munition heavy faction.

When you use canister shot you use up munitions that could have been used for

Armored skirts: 70
BAR/Bazooka: 60
Grenades: Varies
Recon Run: 60
I&R artillery barrage: 140
I&R fake flares: ~30 (can't remember off the top of my head)

I also don't think there's a good way of changing canister shot while keeping it relevant. Especially when you consider using it puts your m8 into grave danger against even the most rudimentary of AT (like fausts).
19 Jul 2014, 13:56 PM

It's a tricky ability.

I used it a fair amount in the Alpha when I had access to it. It feels like a bundled grenade fired from the cannon but this attack has an "aim" time. The attack didn't seem to automatically track the enemy unit. I've used it on moving and retreating squads in the past and it just failed to do anything/failed to fire at all.

I would be in favor of a 'telegraph' to be added to the attack? Perhaps a more obvious telegraph. The Greyhound's turret will aim for a second before it fires but it's really hard to tell when it is happening.

It's hard to judge the power without having my hands on it again but the Greyhound really isn't that phenominal of a unit at it's current price and CP level.

A Pak40, Upgunned 222 and Puma are all easily fielded before CP3 and are all able to fight it without putting themselves at considerable risk. You don't have to engage it with infantry if you think it is too risky.
19 Jul 2014, 14:57 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thx milka.

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2014, 11:25 AMKatitof

Guess what? In CoH1 it was instant shot that could wipe whole blob and it was fine and stuart could fight light armor as well.
Its fine as well here.

You'll squad wipe only if squad clumps up.
Greyhound is squishy, arrives when you have plethora of counters, looses to scout cars(pair of 222s will obliterate it and its not like pair of 222s is a bad idea against USF to begin with), looses to puma, even Luchs makes a short work of it.

Its expensive at 280mp 40fu, which means there will not be any AA halftrucks, its ability isn't instant, so retreating squads that weren't cut off are safe as well as garrisons duu to spread.

Its 100% AI light vehicle in a doctrine that is overall quite poor. Its the only cost effective thing in the doctrine.

I happen to have that doctrine(my only doctrine that dropped for me since WFA release) and while it can squad wipe, its not 100% chance and Wehr have all the means to counter it, just as OKW.

Aren´t you the first to say that COH1 and COH2 are completely different games :P ?

I´m not fond of using 222 against US when someone goes 3-4 rifles liutenant no bars/nades/ambulance. That for me screams AAHT or at least M20. 222 is too much of a delay wether a pak is going to be useful all game. This coming from someone who use 222 almost all the time against double SU.
As i said, i might have been RNGed.
Semoisky, got a gren capping the "ol" north fuel point. I have an MG nearby and a pak coming. Greyhound arrives (i expected an AAHT) so i go for the faust, boom wipe. Minute later, he proceeds to push to my base point, pak hits, he moves to a side, i´m turning the pak, and again, wipe. My face -.-

Again, thxfully this is a unit on a weak commander. I guess i´ll have to test it to see different scenarios on how it performs.
For those who have it:
-Can you use the ability on the move (meaning that you can cast it, not fire)? How long is aim time?

Meanwhile i will not use cover against it, just charge forward or retreat.
19 Jul 2014, 16:01 PM

I have the commander. At 3CP, the greyhound comes out multiple minutes after you could have spent the fuel on an m20 and/or a flak halftrack. You're obligated to buy skirts, and it only wipes squads if they are clumped up, so it's avoidable if you micro your squads properly. If they won't unclump, yea, it's a forced retreat, but you should be happy your opponent spent 280mp/40fuel and delayed their major.

If the greyhound couldn't wipe squads it would be useless as the only vehicles it can engage are the 251 flak halftrack and the kubelwagon. The m20 outclasses the greyhound otherwise with it's vet0 smoke and anti tank mine.

I tried a bunch of times to use the commander and it feels a lot weaker than infantry or airborne.
19 Jul 2014, 16:56 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Thx milka.

Aren´t you the first to say that COH1 and COH2 are completely different games :P ?

I´m not fond of using 222 against US when someone goes 3-4 rifles liutenant no bars/nades/ambulance. That for me screams AAHT or at least M20. 222 is too much of a delay wether a pak is going to be useful all game. This coming from someone who use 222 almost all the time against double SU.
As i said, i might have been RNGed.
Semoisky, got a gren capping the "ol" north fuel point. I have an MG nearby and a pak coming. Greyhound arrives (i expected an AAHT) so i go for the faust, boom wipe. Minute later, he proceeds to push to my base point, pak hits, he moves to a side, i´m turning the pak, and again, wipe. My face -.-

Again, thxfully this is a unit on a weak commander. I guess i´ll have to test it to see different scenarios on how it performs.
For those who have it:
-Can you use the ability on the move (meaning that you can cast it, not fire)? How long is aim time?

Meanwhile i will not use cover against it, just charge forward or retreat.

You cant use it on the move..and it aims for about a second or 2.(Youll know when its coming)

For the luls,I just played a game where a guy had two grens blobbed up next to eachother.

Wiped one squad and left the other squad with one guy.

Idk why everyone is saying this commander is weak. Its really powerful,but not too powerful, IMO and saves alot of resources and lives with almost every ability and callin it has.

Never faust AI american vehicles unless you can do it sneakily.
Only poopoo AI units like a unsupported m20 or jackson should you attempt a faust on.

And i'd go as far as saying dont faust american vehicles at all unless you can snare it with an AT gun or well placed shrek squad because they can just back off and repair,quickly and free.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★