Login

russian armor

Maxims vs the OKW

PAGES (9)down
18 Jul 2014, 15:21 PM

Vetlolcakes thread got locked for the right reasons but he is unfortunately correct that the maxims are far to powerful vs the OKW. Maxims spam has always been an icky unit in 1 vs 1 ostheer and unbalanced on certain maps. But ost had access to the riflenades, 222 , mortars , snipers and the superior firepower of the grens. OKW doesnt have that. their only early game unit that has some ability against the maxim is a flanking SP squad. other then that your hopefully on a map with lots of building hwere you cower in until you can get the obers or luchs out to deal with the maxims.

its a rather major imbalance. 2 things are needed to destroy the abomination called maxim spam forever.

1: reduce the man from 6 to 4. its durability is way over the top.
2: give it a 2.4 packup time so it can be actually flanked. to compensate its arch should be increased by 20.

This way it acts more like a traditional MG then the current abomination we have. Yet with the fast setup it can still act as an assault mg which still an is idiotic concept of relic as any mg should be a defensive support tool.
18 Jul 2014, 15:26 PM

Soviet already have the worst non-doctrine infantry in the game

You expect them to have the worst MG as well?
18 Jul 2014, 15:33 PM

6-man maxim crews are more or less just as survivable as 4-man axis mg crews.

Without powerful maxims the soviets are lost, especially vs OKW. It's ironic that the axis forces, who in real life focused their infantry around HMG combat, are so much less reliant on machine guns than the soviets.
18 Jul 2014, 15:35 PM

their only early game unit that has some ability against the maxim is a flanking SP squad.

What about the Infantry support gun?
18 Jul 2014, 15:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2014, 15:26 PMArclyte

Well, mg42 and Maxim, one has damage and other suppression, one has wider arc other mobility...

And maxim is alot more durable and harder to kill cuz of more men. So if u put it down to 3-4 model, they will be "balanced"...
18 Jul 2014, 15:41 PM

The hardcounter is still infantry support gun.

Nothing changed since failcake thread.

Denial to use it doesn't make it any less valid counter.
18 Jul 2014, 15:43 PM

And maxim is alot more durable and harder to kill cuz of more men. So if u put it down to 3-4 model, they will be "balanced"...

Yes because model count is the only factor that determines durability right? The fact that the average DPS of a grenadier squad is 1.5x higher than that of a conscript squad does not factor into it, right?
18 Jul 2014, 15:45 PM

To be honest, i find maxim spam extremely difficult to play against. And very effective and rewarding to play with.

While Ostheer has Mortars, Rifle nades and Snipers in T1, Okw has nothing. As Katitof said, they have the Inf support gun. But you need to tech to the medic truck to get there. And its a whopping 420mp. And it wont make all maxims go poof on its own.

Its true that OKW lack options vs Maxims.
And for the fanbois, im saying that as a 70% soviet player. Look at my stats if you dont believe me.
18 Jul 2014, 15:50 PM

Is the Kubelwagon able to do anything? I imagine it gets ripped to shreds due to it's large target and low health, but it might be able to flank/suppress the maxim due to it's speed?
18 Jul 2014, 15:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2014, 15:50 PMMadeMan
Is the Kubelwagon able to do anything? I imagine it gets ripped to shreds due to it's large target and low health, but it might be able to flank/suppress the maxim due to it's speed?

Even 2 volks do better. Kübel gets shreded by maxims or atg.
18 Jul 2014, 16:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2014, 15:41 PMKatitof
The hardcounter is still infantry support gun.

Nothing changed since failcake thread.

Denial to use it doesn't make it any less valid counter.

Yes, definitely a hard-counter, it's powerful and has great range.

BUT... It come smuch later than Maxim.

Soviets can build 4 Maxims, lose no capping power and dominate early game. By the time you get your Infantry gun, you are wayyy behind.

Still, the Maxim shouldn't be too nerfed. The soviets definitely need an MG. How about 4 man squads + 1.2 armour? That way they stay durable but can be sniped / mortared in a fair time.

That's a nerf+buff.

I still argue that MG teams and AT teams shouldn't be able to cap sectors. If they removed that, there's NO WAY anyone would spam Maxims BUT the Maxim would remain powerful. Ta-daaaa
18 Jul 2014, 16:19 PM

Also, they need a small nerf in set-up time. Currently there is no reward for flanking a Maxim, it just laughs and turns around :/

You ever tried to flank a .50 cal? :I
18 Jul 2014, 16:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2014, 15:26 PMArclyte

and you have absolutely no idea of how the Soviet army works and how to use them to their strength. I am judging this based on your comments only.
18 Jul 2014, 16:24 PM

You ever tried to flank a .50 cal? :I

Yeah, what's your point?
18 Jul 2014, 16:39 PM

Yes because model count is the only factor that determines durability right? The fact that the average DPS of a grenadier squad is 1.5x higher than that of a conscript squad does not factor into it, right?

Irrelevant. as soon as a conscript squad pulls of a flank the mg42 is forced to retreat no matter how low the dps of the script squad is.
18 Jul 2014, 16:40 PM

What about the Infantry support gun?

RNG dependant as fuck. and one support gun is not going to stop 5 maxims.
18 Jul 2014, 16:45 PM

Bite the bullet and buy a FJ to spawn in the building behind them

JK...
18 Jul 2014, 17:02 PM

Maxim OP - he shoots.
Everyone is familiar with the fact, the Red Army fought with sticks.
One stick for three. (sarcasm)
Without Maxim can not be resisted assault engineers spam
they rape conscripts and penal.
18 Jul 2014, 17:52 PM
Patrion 14

Yes Maxims are too strong against OKW (when spammed, 2 Maxims shouldn't be a problem at all), but its really the only thing you have against them. In the early game conscripts are okay against volks if you can manage to close in without losing too much health while you're doing that, and have no chance against sturm pios. Penals are a little bit better, but scale even worse than conscripts to the end game, and you don't get an AT gun if you go T1. Frankly, the only squad somewhat capable of dealing with OKW effectivily are the shock troops, but they're expensive, and when obers hit the field even they become pretty much worthless. I'm okay with somehow making maxim spam less strong (although I've got no idea how to do that without making the maxim a useless unit), but Soviets really need to get something to fight off OKW infantry, certainly in the late game.
18 Jul 2014, 17:53 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2014, 16:39 PMJaigen

Irrelevant. as soon as a conscript squad pulls of a flank the mg42 is forced to retreat no matter how low the dps of the script squad is.

And if a sturm pio pulls of a flank you've generally lost your Maxim because of its horrible retreat animation. I lose Maxims way more often than MG42s.
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS