Login

russian armor

Road to Kharkov unbalanced?

Do you think that the layout of Road to Kharkov favours the northern player?
Option Distribution Votes
27%
13%
17%
10%
15%
18%
Total votes: 60
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
14 Jul 2014, 17:08 PM

As a 1v1 player (mainly WFA) I naturally have my preferences about maps, but in my opinion Kharkov is the only map which genuinely favours one player based on starting location. The northern player is far closer to the centre of the map, which is highly defensible from his side due to the placement of green cover and the building. Holding the centre is a huge advantage, especially on this map, as it allows you to attack both of the other VPs (especially the eastern point) without separating your force. Furthermore, the southern player's cutoff is far closer to the centre, allowing it to be easily decapped by the northern player if he wins an engagement in the centre.

Is this the community consensus, or just me? Anyone have any strategies for winning on Road to Kharkov as the southern player?
15 Jul 2014, 14:56 PM

Played on both sides and I actually liked being on south more. Much more room to maneuver and if you win the initial conflict you can mine every approach from west and middle forcing the northern army to go around the village into your mg fire.

Plus I think your first resources are much safe from capture when you're in south.

But that's just me.
15 Jul 2014, 15:13 PM

I'd agree. I hate this map 2v2, 1v1 it's okay because you can flank MGs. On a 2v2 though, the northern players are generally the defensive ones while the south is forced to attack
15 Jul 2014, 15:25 PM

Ah yes forgot that, in my opinion it should be a 1vs1 map only, in 2vs2 it is too easy to bunker up on north and wait for the end of the war.
18 Jul 2014, 02:59 AM

Sides are not much of an issue on this map. Its which team that can dig in the resources in the early game. That team will have a much easier time winning.

I wouldn't say the map is unbalanced in terms of position but OKW does have a significant advantage here because of their early medic truck and stormpios. Stormpios can destroy everything in garrisons simply because their DPS is insane at close ranges. They are also a very strong early game power house unit which helps them take the resources earlier on.

I don't want to turn this into a huge QQ post about stormpios but thats my opinion. That map favours Axis more than Allies. Its a lot harder to recover from a mistake that is punished by a single stormpio squad than any other single squad that the Allies have (and don't argue assault engineers because they are worse than stormpios in every aspect except cost and deployment time).

(I thought I was writing a post about Faceoff at Rostif but this post turned out to be an 'in general' complaint about OKW)

19 Jul 2014, 17:52 PM

also the map lazur factory (3vs3) is unbalanced. the northern side has two victory points and a few other important points while the south has nearly nothing except a repair point and one victory point.
20 Jul 2014, 11:53 AM

Naa , the worst map that's unbalanced is "Trois Pont" always the north player wins, because for the south player the graveyard is unlevel so shoot don't seem to fire over the stairs and wall.

PS If you don't like a map Vetoe it.
29 Aug 2014, 11:06 AM

Nothing wrong with this map, I've always had success on both sides. Key is to secure the middle and then you have control. Kinda like most maps..
1 Sep 2014, 14:15 PM

I kinda agree with it. Northern players have have a few more walls in the middle VP. An early MG could cover that whole area up.

and i totally agree with lazur factory. absolutely unbalanced. players in the north can easily fortify the two VP since the the only way through is either a small bridge or these tiny passages, which can be defended easily with an MG and a few antitanks.

but thats just my current low rank opinion
1 Sep 2014, 14:54 PM

Favourite map. But the middle cp could be moved a bit more south.
1 Sep 2014, 16:16 PM
Donator 22

Favourite map. But the middle cp could be moved a bit more south.

+1 good idea!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS