Login

russian armor

Soviet 2v2 Late Game: German Rockets Everywhere.

10 Jul 2014, 04:01 AM

So, learning CoH2 after a long hiatus and experience with the original. I played a 2v2 as Soviets, was reasonably pleased with my T1 sniper play in the early game, decided to go Guard Motor to deal with light vehicles in the early-mid game, decided to go T3 in the mid game, and spent the late game slowly succumbing to the combined heer. I thought I was playing pretty well, with the bone headed loss of my sniper being the only mistake that stood out, so I'd appreciate feedback on this game and where I can improve. I said some mean spirited things about my teammate out of frustration; I really felt that I deserved a win at the time.

I feel like I dealt with German pushes reasonably well in terms of resource trades, even when a brumbar and panthers hit the field. I'd have had real trouble with a Tiger or worse, but what really seemed to cause the most issues was a lone Panzerwerfer 43 that kept dropping rockets right on my armor or my crewed weapons. After the first barrage, I tried to reposition whenever I heard the alarm, but there wasn't remotely enough time for me to move my spread out army to safety before some crucial losses were inflicted. This, I think, cost the game, as it softened my line to the point where the enemy could push a breakthrough and roll my flank.

A few possible lessons from this game spring to mind:

1) Don't ever not have stormtroopers and a tank call in in 2v2. Storms are the only infantry that with the damage and durability to be useful into the late game for something other than crewing weapons. Calling Guards to deal the mid game vehicles is tempting, but always a long term mistake.

2) If the late game looks to drag, tech to T4 and build a katyusha or two. This seems quite difficult to make work, is it requires quite a bit of fuel for T4, plus however much one spends on the mobile arty.

3) If you've got T-34/85s coming, don't tech to T3 in the first place.

4) Button doesn't work like it did in old CoH; my Guards didn't seem to want to keep even a stug snared for any length of time, though I was careful to close the distance before triggering the ability. This reinforces point (1) Never go Guards. Always go shocks.

5) If you control 2 VPs, but Gerry has a flak truck covering the third, send some units to help your teammate destroy it. Gamble that your weakened line don't be pressed hard at the wrong time. This sounds like a weak strategy to me, as the enemy likely has a thermal HT up and will be able to counter your maneuver.

Those are the strategic lessons I think I might draw. And other thoughts, or observed mistakes in my build & tech or tactical choices would be welcome.
10 Jul 2014, 04:36 AM
Honorary Member Badge

2) If the late game looks to drag, tech to T4 and build a katyusha or two. This seems quite difficult to make work, is it requires quite a bit of fuel for T4, plus however much one spends on the mobile arty.

I had stopped building them and going pure Call Ins and T3. Then I started using them again and it really helped my game, one of the few things that can put serious dents into German positions through FOW

Generally though as Sovs you should build only 2 buildings, see below

3) If you've got T-34/85s coming, don't tech to T3 in the first place.

This is certainly true. Call Ins should complement you core army, so make sure you are getting different capabilities, not just the same thing only better.

Guard Motor allows you go T1-T4 and you still get the 120mm mortor for indirect, Guards for Light AT and the 34/85 seals the deal

It's been one of the most favoured doctrines for some time
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS