Login

russian armor

Hidden commanders and bulletins on loading screen.

5 Jul 2014, 01:54 AM

No, it is a problem

Just because you are happy with it doesn't mean the rest of us have to like it

Just because you do not like it does not mean it is a 'problem'. You're entitled to your personal preference, but a problem with the game it is not.

Except that we cannot do that, because all the new stuff is drop only

WFA is less that two weeks old, DLC will come. For now, Relic has said there will be exclusive Spoils drop items-how many remains to be seen. The dual launch means the ratio of commanders is disproportionately high, but that will change. Some things will be drop only, for the benefit of dedicated players.

Then you can tell me where this goes wrong:

No one needs duplicate commanders, yet it is possible

You cannot use more than 3 bulletins, yet if you can have more than 1 of the same commander I doubt they coded it in that you cannot earn the same bulletin more than three times. It has not happened yet but it will.

They did give people the ability to delete duplicates. If later down the line they add the ability to trade, everyone who deleted anything is going to be pissed.

Don't pointlessly delete things, then. You're not being charged for storage space, are you?

Needless duplicates are part of what makes inventory systems financially viable. Relic is a company, not your butler.

Players would love it, sure, if there was never a duplicate. But that:
  • Renders any attempt as distinguishing rarity pointless (just keep grinding, you'll tick everything off the list.)
  • Puts a finite lifespan on the utility of the system
  • Does not incentive purchasing DLC for the specific things you want enough to fork out a few pounds

The last one is the killer.

Relic is here to make money. DLC is available. They did a very good thing for the consumer in allowing us a chance to get it all- and even extra special stuff- absolutely 100% bona fide free.

But they still want us to buy DLC because they need money for server costs etc. etc.

Duplicates are part of that reality. Common drops will be plentiful and you'll end up with a lot of the same.

Hopefully over time CoH2 will learn from other games that did this sort of thing 'right' (If you like it or not, right is profitable and objectively convenient for players, not just what you want).

If they take pages from TF2, godfather of inventories and making mad cash, we will see the ability to trade items. And maybe an option to pool your duplicates into somthing else to keep your inventory tidy and make excess worth something. Perhaps an option to crunch a few of a certain rarity class of item for one random drop of the class above.

We'll have to wait and see exactly what Relic does with it. But it's a game, by a company, and duplicates are not going to go away. They're an integral part of the functionality of these systems.
5 Jul 2014, 02:08 AM
Honorary Member Badge

pretty sure its not a bug. but an intended feature of an unfinished or not planned out system. that would be my guess as it seems very half baked to me. give relic time and i imagine you start to see the fruits of their labor. (relic requires time, nobody has time for that shit.)

also as guy above me says many item systems use duplicates this is nothing new. (played tf2, dota, CSGO, payday 2 all those have random drops and to my knowledge duplicates.
5 Jul 2014, 02:25 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Don't pointlessly delete things, then. You're not being charged for storage space, are you?

No I am not deleting anything in case in ever become valuable

But right now people will delete things because they cannot do anything with them.

If trade subsequently becomes an option than anyone who has deleted thinking these are worthless is going be upset - same as I will if I get a duplicate of something I already paid for.

I have my doubts about what a hypothetical trading economy would look like anyway:

Commanders are so much better than bulletins, faceplates or skins they'll probably only be traded for each other (Call them Gold Pieces)

People pay for faceplates and skins so they might be worth something (Silver Pieces)

Bulletins are probably going to only traded for each other, they are just not that important or good. (Copper Pieces)

I cannot see that many people trading Bulletins for Commanders

5 Jul 2014, 02:26 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jul 2014, 02:08 AMWiFiDi
pretty sure its not a bug. but an intended feature of an unfinished or not planned out system. that would be my guess as it seems very half baked to me. give relic time and i imagine you start to see the fruits of their labor. (relic requires time, nobody has time for that shit.)

That's a Bingo

I suspect that at least part of the reason they haven't told us their plans for War Spoils is because they haven't decided yet
5 Jul 2014, 02:29 AM
Donator 11

Code is complex. Maybe they just deleted a single bracket somewhere in a few million lines of of code and didn't notice.

Code is divided into modules/classes. Hard to imagine why the code to had to do with that feature would be in the same module or class then balance stats or why that module needed to be touched at all.
5 Jul 2014, 10:15 AM

bug, will be fixed soon :)

so whats the bug here? that you dont see your own stuff? are you supposed to see both? i would appreciate seeing my own but not the enemies (which i think was your intention)
5 Jul 2014, 12:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jul 2014, 02:29 AMZ3r07

Code is divided into modules/classes. Hard to imagine why the code to had to do with that feature would be in the same module or class then balance stats or why that module needed to be touched at all.

We can assume as much that there's a proper coding standard and that code is properly organized, but that doesn't mean that there's no code shared or that there's zero overlap. It is hard to imagine that a balance change would cause a bug in another part of the code, but we're not privy to their code to start with. It's usually very minor and unnoticeable slip ups that cause these kinds of errors.
8 Jul 2014, 18:19 PM
Honorary Member Badge

And they are back in the new patch
8 Jul 2014, 18:58 PM

I have my doubts about what a hypothetical trading economy would look like anyway:

Commanders are so much better than bulletins, faceplates or skins they'll probably only be traded for each other (Call them Gold Pieces)

People pay for faceplates and skins so they might be worth something (Silver Pieces)

Bulletins are probably going to only traded for each other, they are just not that important or good. (Copper Pieces)

I cannot see that many people trading Bulletins for Commanders

Someone mentioned it earlier, but it would be nice if you could say, trade 10 bulletins for a random commander drop or something like that. Even sacrificing 10 bulletins for a pure random drop would be nice since you could burn your duplicates that way and get a chance of getting a commander instead. Then better things like skins could be only 5 for a random drop, Commanders can be 1 for 1 maybe?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★