Login

russian armor

Infrared STG-44

28 Jun 2014, 04:13 AM

Hello everyone

Just wondering if anyone can point out exactly what this upgrade does?

From COH2 stats I see it dramatically lowers the DPS vs the MG34's at all but short range. Yet it says it's effective for long term engagements?

I find the Obers to be better with the vanilla MG's and don't quite understand the point of this upgrade.

Thanks.
28 Jun 2014, 04:33 AM

It is the ultimate rape weapon. Seriously. You upgrade that and watch riflemen drop like flies. It's like the old PanzerGrens but with steroids.
28 Jun 2014, 04:33 AM
Donator 33

Before somebody else comes in and find some uses for it against shocks or whatever, let me just quickly explain that you should not be getting this upgrade nor pick the doctrine it's associated with. Your analysis is spot on.
28 Jun 2014, 04:35 AM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2014, 04:33 AMVonIvan
It is the ultimate rape weapon. Seriously. You upgrade that and watch riflemen drop like flies. It's like the old PanzerGrens but with steroids.

Haha didnt see you there.

No but seriously, it lowers dps at medium range and pretty much kills the long range dps, not to mention it costs a billion munition, MG34 just seems way better, maybe this unit should start with STG and allow you to spend munition and upgrade MG34.
28 Jun 2014, 04:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2014, 04:35 AMOMGPOP

Haha didnt see you there.

No but seriously, it lowers dps at medium range and pretty much kills the long range dps, not to mention it costs a billion munition, MG34 just seems way better, maybe this unit should start with STG and allow you to spend munition and upgrade MG34.

I saw you and I was like, hmmmm, who can post quicker. MVGame
28 Jun 2014, 15:02 PM

I appreciate the feedback, the entire command tree seems lackluster compared to the overwhelming deadliness of panzerfusiliers with the officer. Good to know I can stop wasting my time with it.
11 Aug 2014, 07:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2014, 04:33 AMOMGPOP
Before somebody else comes in and find some uses for it against shocks or whatever, let me just quickly explain that you should not be getting this upgrade nor pick the doctrine it's associated with. Your analysis is spot on.

No, this analysis is not "spot on".

Obersoldaten with LMG34:
near // 33,656 DPS
middle // 30,009 DPS
far // 27,993 DPS

Obersoldaten with IR-STG44:
near // 64,236 DPS
middle // 32,702 DPS
far // 14,338 DPS

Obersoldaten with IR-STG's are the best Assault infantry in the game. They win every engagement at close and medium range and their far range dps is still high enough to win against the total majority of enemy infantry forces. The close distance DPS is nearly doubled with the IR-Upgrade.

I love the SpecOps Doctrine (its my favorite okw doc)... I prefer it above the scav doctrine which does provide nothing but Infiltration Grenades, jaeger infantry (nerfed) and a good off-map art. SpecOps: Infitration Grenades, IR-STG's and a Commando-Panther that increases sight, speed and (with veterancy) armor + reload of nearby vehicles, this stacks with panther bulletins (+4% armor, -5% reload) which means a normal panther inside of the commando-panther aura will perform noticeably better. This is a very good doctrine.
11 Aug 2014, 08:10 AM

The biggest advantage of the STG-44 is that they ignore cover. No cover bonuses against Infared STG-44s.

The enemy cannot use buildings, walls, anything to lower your DPS. That's a pretty big deal. If the enemy is at long range and in heavy/building cover you probably do more damage with the IR STG-44.

Personally though I skip it 90% of the time. Obersoldaten work fine without it. Munitions can be better spent on mines or other important resources.

Special Operations is quite good but I did write a guide on it so I'm probably a little biased.
11 Aug 2014, 08:50 AM

The biggest advantage of the STG-44 is that they ignore cover. No cover bonuses against Infared STG-44s.

The enemy cannot use buildings, walls, anything to lower your DPS. That's a pretty big deal. If the enemy is at long range and in heavy/building cover you probably do more damage with the IR STG-44.

Personally though I skip it 90% of the time. Obersoldaten work fine without it. Munitions can be better spent on mines or other important resources.

Special Operations is quite good but I did write a guide on it so I'm probably a little biased.

Thats true, SpecOP's is pretty ammunition heavy because IR-STG's and Shrecks cost 90 ammo each so there are no resources left for mines, happily INF-Grenades only cost 10 ammo which means that they can still be used in good extent.

I did not know that the IR-Upgrade negates cover... this makes the upgrade even more effective and it explains why my Obersoldaten rape Infantry that is in cover or on buildings, thanks for that.

At the beginning of WFA I thought that the IR-Upgrade is useless because OKW already has very powerful Anti-Infantry units (Sturmpios, Luchs etc.) but when I decided to try it out I noticed the impact that it made on Obersoldaten, once they are in cover or in a building they are extremely powerful... better than a Luchs (prone to AT) in my opinion, which means I can safe that fuel for Panthers or a KT.
11 Aug 2014, 10:19 AM

That bonus is a pretty big deal on maps like semois.
11 Aug 2014, 16:33 PM

These guys with stg44 melt infantry like no other, they are more like the way assault pgrens, mp44 stormtroopers, kch and fg42 falls from coh1 used to melt infantry.
24 Aug 2014, 00:27 AM

Spec Ops is a solid doctrine in my opinion. In team games its excellent. Infared STG's are pure squad wiping weapons. If paired up they can even take out MG crews in a frontal assault. 90 muni? well worth it.
3 Sep 2014, 07:59 AM

I wouldn't use the doctrine against somebody who has a strong sniper play but against somebody who has an infantry heavy play the Stg44 are just nightmares, I have matches, even in 2on2 where I get them up to vet 5.
But then again I'm more of a flanking player that always tries to wipe squads.
They counter shock troops because shocks lose too many soldiers when they try to close in.

You are very vulnerable to Armour, because going as first tech mechanized regiment is not recommend with this doctrine, since you want your obersoldaten to have always full health, otherwise they drain to much manpower on take too long to reinforce.
7 Nov 2014, 06:01 AM

These guys totally rape with this weapon. It's mainly the reason I pick this doctrine so much of the time. There's no fear of dropping them for the enemy like how it is with the MG34. The other day playing I had a vet 5 squad with 70 infantry kills from these things.
7 Nov 2014, 06:18 AM
7 Nov 2014, 06:37 AM

yes lets get infrared PPSHes Kappa that'll even the game with the infrared obers Kappa
7 Nov 2014, 12:13 PM

*sob* my poor, poor Ostheer.
7 Nov 2014, 12:29 PM

I like having 2 ober squads, 1 with stg 1 without, so you have the MG one supporting at range as the other guys close to rape range.

Also whats with the hate for the Spec Ops Doctrine? I think it's great, Love the Commanther, the stg's and flares are good too.
7 Nov 2014, 14:26 PM

...as stated by others, it is a worthy upgrade in a very useful doctrine.
7 Nov 2014, 14:57 PM

stg infrared are good and the doctrine offers some good ways to bypass schwerer tier , but i like it in 3v3s and 4v4s most , stukas and flares are Kreygasmic Kappa
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS