Login

russian armor

CoH2 causing eye strain?

26 Jun 2014, 01:25 AM

This is really weird to me. I play all sorts of games (fps/rpg/rts/tbs) and I never had any adverse effects. This started with CoH2 vannila but I get the same thing now when I'm playing the XP, so I'm 100% sure coh is the culprit.

Basically my eyes hurt after a couple of games. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the collor pallete.. Even though I get it on summer maps as well as winter ones. Anyone else have this problem? I haven't fiddled with the gamma/brightness yet to be honest,but I might give it a shot.
26 Jun 2014, 01:28 AM
Donator 11

If only this was the only problem... I experienced it before but not for a long time though.
26 Jun 2014, 02:01 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Sometimes im so focused during fierce action i dont blink for about a couple minutes or so.
And my eyes feel like this

Doesnt really happen to me in other games i play either. just coh2
26 Jun 2014, 02:01 AM

This is really weird to me. I play all sorts of games (fps/rpg/rts/tbs) and I never had any adverse effects. This started with CoH2 vannila but I get the same thing now when I'm playing the XP, so I'm 100% sure coh is the culprit.

Basically my eyes hurt after a couple of games. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the collor pallete.. Even though I get it on summer maps as well as winter ones. Anyone else have this problem? I haven't fiddled with the gamma/brightness yet to be honest,but I might give it a shot.

same here, its graphic really hurt my eye
26 Jun 2014, 02:49 AM

I felt this a lot at first and still do if I play a lot of games straight; maybe more than four. It produces a bloodshot line across the middle of at least one of my eyes (the left) if not both on occasion and last for approximately two days. I purchased some gunnar optic gaming glasses and they have worked wonders. The screen seems yellow at first but relieved my strain BIG time. (I do not work for the company :D )
26 Jun 2014, 03:51 AM

Haha CoH2 is definitely one of the games I've noticed myself not blinking after for a long time until I make myself blink. Just that kind of game.

You can always turn down the brightness of your monitor.
26 Jun 2014, 04:05 AM

You can always turn down the brightness of your monitor.

Even this isn't necessary, there is a brightness setting in the game's options.
26 Jun 2014, 07:33 AM

I have the same problem as well, especially from those looooong coh 1 sessions.

Its like you dont have time to blink because you will miss some significant aspect of the battle.

Definitely not a game for epileptic people.

All those damn explosions..
26 Jun 2014, 07:41 AM

It doesnt happen all the time but sometimes I concentrate so much that I do not blink for a few minutes. I use eye drops when my eyes dry out during gaming.
26 Jun 2014, 07:53 AM

Even this isn't necessary, there is a brightness setting in the game's options.

Whch isnt exactly the same thing.
26 Jun 2014, 08:34 AM

It doesnt happen all the time but sometimes I concentrate so much that I do not blink for a few minutes. I use eye drops when my eyes dry out during gaming.

You think that's it and not the coloring? I can't believe I wouldn't blink in CoH2 but would do it in other games (I mostly play competitive games so I'm not more anxious playing CoH2 than anything else).
26 Jun 2014, 08:56 AM

Yes, I woke up today and my eyes are very red and I can barely look at my screen, kinda scary.

Don't have such issues with other games, maybe you are on to something.
26 Jun 2014, 09:20 AM

I strangely had the same thing with the red eyes after I woke up yesterday. Really strange.
26 Jun 2014, 09:23 AM

It's really weird that a lot are experiencing the same symptoms. Like I said, I play a LOT of fast-paced, vivid games (dota2, insurgency as an example) and I never had this problem ONCE.

Then I launch CoH2 and my eyes are strained after 3 games.
26 Jun 2014, 09:45 AM

Yeah, people think I smoke weed when they see me after coh.

It's also due to the camo on units making them indistinct from the background / having to closely watch animations for grenades being thrown / blizzards.

Eye drops help, cucumbers too :)
26 Jun 2014, 10:00 AM

Havent experienced this myself, but I dont think it could have anything to do with color pallette.

Infantry however, especially, does blend in with its surroundings quite well, so I suppose the eye has to work a little harder to differentiate them than in games where there is a stronger contrast or some kind of distinct outline when unit is selected.

My best guess is it has to do with the rather limited and close in view of the battlefield, which means the eyes have to pan back and forth a lot, especially on larger screens, rather than the player being able to zoom out a bit for a higher, wider, birds-eye perspective (which however, in turn, would make distinguishing the camoed and blended in infantry even more a task).

There was a lot similar complaints, especially from vcoh vets, when coh2 first released, but mostly more specifically on difficultynof distinguishing units on the field, rather than eyestrain. I attributed that mostly to the lower contrsst between units and backgroundmin coh2, as a result of the graphics being, infact better. Funnily enough, I personally had this problem between dota and dota 2. In the first, contrast was very prominent, in the second, grapbics are better, but as a result everything blendsminto the field, rather than standing out.

Cataclaw just ran a 24hr marathon, and seemed to manage fine, so whatever eyestrain there might be resulting from whichever factor, seems to be more strongly user-based in nature, rather than concretely in the game itself.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★