Login

russian armor

2v2: Mixed Axis versus double US

24 Jun 2014, 17:38 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I'm wondering what people are doing for the mixed Axis v. double US matchup. As the Wehr player, getting grenadiers seems superfluous, so I am trying multiple MGs, snipers, and mortars, plus pios with flamers for the early game. It lacks pushing power, but grens don't seem to cut it against the inevitable riflemen horde. I'm not familiar enough yet with OKW to begin to thinking about how to integrate the two factions well.

What have you guys been doing that has worked?

Also: complaining about how this-or-that is UP/OP is for the balance forums. This is the strat forum, where we all come together to get better with the tools available to us.
24 Jun 2014, 17:40 PM
Senior Editor Badge

early flak HT + Scout Car = rape rifles
24 Jun 2014, 17:41 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jun 2014, 17:40 PMnigo
early flak HT + Scout Car = rape rifles

What do you do about T1?
24 Jun 2014, 17:45 PM
Senior Editor Badge

kubel + volks / greens + 1 MG

and rush for flak HT and Scout Cars. Dont forget one pak at least.
25 Jun 2014, 16:38 PM
Donator 11

Hi, i'm looking for some info, like how do you deal against US army in T3-T4.

I'm only playing as Wehrmacht, in 2v2. These last time my mates are only OKW.

Usually against the US army my build order is like Grenadier > MG42 > Grenadier > MG42.

I'm using my pioneer to cap 2-3 point, and after the first fight i'm sending them build the bunker for medic upgrade near the HQ.

I'm using the first mg 42 to cover my first grenadier squad like that even if US use their abilities i can easily take the advantage.

My problem happens in T3-T4 usually, US have tons of infantry and even with a lot of mg42 or bunker upgraded with mg 42 for a maximum of suppression my squad (Grenadier or Volksgrenadier) are easily wiped so i'm using a Flakpanzer but he don't even last 1 min easily destroyed by Bazooka.
And sometimes i feel like i'm playing against a flood of US GI and i don't know how to fight against the flow.

Wich commander do you recommand ? What do you do ?

25 Jun 2014, 16:51 PM
Senior Editor Badge

if they go for bazookas, they dont have ammo for BAR.

go for some LMG42 or G43 spam.

Mortar HT against blobs helps too.
25 Jun 2014, 16:56 PM

I'm wondering what people are doing for the mixed Axis v. double US matchup. As the Wehr player, getting grenadiers seems superfluous, so I am trying multiple MGs, snipers, and mortars, plus pios with flamers for the early game. It lacks pushing power, but grens don't seem to cut it against the inevitable riflemen horde. I'm not familiar enough yet with OKW to begin to thinking about how to integrate the two factions well.

What have you guys been doing that has worked?

Also: complaining about how this-or-that is UP/OP is for the balance forums. This is the strat forum, where we all come together to get better with the tools available to us.

I think it's foolhardy to write of the Grenadier even in 2v2 circumstances. There are some maps where you can easily rely on your ally (Rails and Metal perhaps) but your fighting force still needs to be somewhat self-sufficient in most games.

My personal build against US as Wehrmacht:

• Grenadier
  • Grenadier
  • MG-42
  • Grenadier
  • MG-42

The US is capable of putting out some really annoying light armor early game so you need Grenadiers to threaten a Panzerfaust or good opponents can sort of just run over you. MG-42s can threaten this light armor with the Incendiary AP rounds with some excellent micro but it's pretty tough actually.

The LMG42 upgrade and a couple levels of veterancy will make your Grenadiers actually fight very well against Riflemen. You will never be able to fight blob vs blob but that's what your MG-42 is there for. Screen it with infantry and you'll be fine.

There's a strong argument to be made for rushing up to Tier 2 against US forces if you see a Lieutenant. Skip the second MG-42 and use a scout car to control Riflemen blobs. The up-gunned 222 Scout Car can fight the M20 Utility Car very well. The Rifleman's AT grenade doesn't seek like the Conscript's AT grenade. If you keep moving then the enemy attack will almost always miss unless you're at close range or you're moving tangentially to the attack. This means the 222 Scout Car can really easily protect your flanks from Riflemen. The biggest threat from Lieutenant tech is the M15 AA Halftrack. This unit will destroy a 222 Scout Car quickly. It's total Pak40 bait though and the 222 Scout Car can finish off a weakened one (just never approach a M15 AA halftrack when it is stationary cause it's 37mm cannon will be active and rip you to shreds.)

US forces have really bad/expensive artillery units so Pak40s are extremely annoying for them until the M8A1 (which still has nearly as much range as the Pak40 so you can actually turn the tables on it pretty easily).
25 Jun 2014, 16:59 PM
Donator 11

Okay then Elite troop or Spearhead. And should i build a carburant depot or ammunition ? I'm not sure if its the right name in english.
25 Jun 2014, 17:01 PM

Early Tier 3 tanks from the Wehrmacht are super hard to deal with. The 57mm is sort of a terrible AT gun. The Bazooka has probably a 50% chance to penetrate a Panzer IV. It's really tough to deal with them until the M36 Jackson.

As such most strategies that rely on heavy Tier 1 -> Tier 2 play to zone the enemy out and then pull in a Panzer IV Command Tank or a Tiger are really effective. The PZ4 Command Tank is actually really solid against US forces as it kill infantry so well and it is far more durable. They lack the robust medium armor of the Soviets so there's less threat of being overwhelmed.

edit: To get more specific;

Consider the Mobile Defense and Assault Support doctrines.

Assault Support is great. Tiger tank is super hard for Americans to deal with. Strafing Run is godly against enemy infantry blobs.

Mobile Defense offers the Puma which is pretty good insurance against light armor and then the Panzer IV command tank which really helps against infantry.
25 Jun 2014, 17:02 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2014, 16:59 PMRhen
carburant depot or ammunition ? I'm not sure if its the right name in english.

its Fuel cache or Munitions cache :P

go for muni points. In 2v2 some ppl forget about munis.
25 Jun 2014, 17:08 PM

I'll also just poke my head in and say that Snipers can really work against US forces particularly on maps like Crossing the Woods where getting to them is a nightmare and flanking options can be limited.

You really have to lean into your ally though so that he can support you.

Either way I would never skip Grenadiers. It's only a matter of time before US players start getting Mechanized Company which get get a Jeep unit out at like ~40 seconds into the game. It's basically an M3A1 so any build where you skill Grens will bite you in the ass against that sort of tactic.
25 Jun 2014, 17:18 PM
Donator 11

Thank you guys, i will try that. And by the way which bulletin are you using ? Before the patch i was using the two upgrade for Panzergrenadier and the veteran formation for Grenadier, now i'm a little confused and i don't use my Panzergrenadier as much as before.
25 Jun 2014, 17:20 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2014, 17:18 PMRhen
Thank you guys, i will try that. And by the way. which bulletin are you using ? Before the patch i was using the two upgrade for Panzergrenadier and the veteran formation for Grenadier, now i'm a little confused and i don't use my Panzergrenadier as much as before.

always go bulletins for Grens ACC/cooldown time. Its usefull in early, mid and late game.
25 Jun 2014, 17:30 PM
Donator 11

Thank you again, it will really help me.
26 Jun 2014, 19:38 PM

Avoid Minsk and Semois and every other map which prevents flanking and better for camping. As US you want big, open places vs germans in every game. Vice-versa for the germans

Also Pak + Tiger combo is pain in the ass to deal with, anyone got solutions? Paks rape M36 and the Tiger rapes everything else.

I found 2 grens with lmg, 2 snipers play very effective in 2v2s where your partner is doing the "standard" build order.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★