Login

russian armor

Couple of Scrub Questions

11 Jun 2014, 15:50 PM

Hey all, just dabbling in VCoh the last few days after never really getting proper into it (Was a DOW fan). Makes a nice break from Coh2, which is the main RTS I play these days. I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate some help with.

I have tried to get the following to work for me, but it does not work like COH2 and my experimenting thus far has failed!

1. Whilst using the tactical map, can you assign control groups to units by clicking on them?

2. Whilst using the tactical map, can you give attack move orders to your units?

3. Whilst using the tactical map, I find when you select a unit, then double click on the map to zoom into a spot, the unit deselects. Is there a way of keeping the unit selected and zooming in, like COH2? For example, I want to move my squad to a particular point on the map using the tactical map, I can issue a move order using this technique. But i'd rather zoom into the normal map and issue a more precise move order (e.g. to cover). I find when I try this, the unit is deselected when I zoom in, creating unnecessary micro.

4. I use an autohotkey scrip for easy use of the tactical map (have it assigned to an extra mouse key), I tried adapting the VCoh hotkeys to be more like COH2 QWER hotkeys, but for some reason my autohotkeys script did not work. I tried gridkeys, but felt it was a touch laggy. Anyone else have similar issues or even better, an autohotkey script similar to the Coh2 hotkeys?

Cheers, hopefully those questions make sense, if not, i'll be happy to try and clarify them. I've recently adapted my COh2 play to use the tactical map allot more, so i'm hoping I can get the same usage out of it in VCoh! :)

11 Jun 2014, 15:52 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

In regard to #2, all movement orders issued from the tac map are attack-move orders.
11 Jun 2014, 21:00 PM

In regard to #2, all movement orders issued from the tac map are attack-move orders.

I'm such a noob i have been playing this for a few months now and never knew that. I'll really have to try and use the tactical map more often if i can.

i also have a question. Will i be able to use what i know in coh1 on coh2? or am i gonna have to learn all over again?
11 Jun 2014, 21:03 PM

If were on the topic of tac map why do you need to pres esc twice to get out of it
11 Jun 2014, 21:15 PM

I'm such a noob i have been playing this for a few months now and never knew that. I'll really have to try and use the tactical map more often if i can.

i also have a question. Will i be able to use what i know in coh1 on coh2? or am i gonna have to learn all over again?

Yes, the basics are the same. There are a few new mechanics in coh2: true line-of-sight, being able to jump over fences and stone walls.
11 Jun 2014, 21:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jun 2014, 21:15 PMDanielD

Yes, the basics are the same. There are a few new mechanics in coh2: true line-of-sight, being able to jump over fences and stone walls.

k thats awesome, was one of the reasons i hesitated on buying coh2
12 Jun 2014, 12:43 PM

Cheers for the replies :)

@Morten, I find clicking the hotkey for the tactical map once gets me out of it.

Ps. Anyone want to give me a quick US build vs PE? :D I really don't enjoy playing vs that faction from my limited experience!
12 Jun 2014, 14:59 PM

3 engies (2 flamethrowers ASAP)
3 rifles
Triage Center / Stickies
TD
Snipers
Armor doctrine

12 Jun 2014, 15:34 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

3 engies, second engie builds barracks.
3 rifles
bars
TD

WIN
12 Jun 2014, 15:44 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jun 2014, 12:43 PMBryan
Ps. Anyone want to give me a quick US build vs PE? :D I really don't enjoy playing vs that faction from my limited experience!

Yeah, playing against PE sucks.
Pretty much what FreQ wrote. If you look around for "Aimstrong bulletproof anti-PE strat" you should come up with some helpful results :D
Basically:
3 engineers (upgrade all to flamethrowers)
4 rifles
triage & sticky bombs
Supply Yard
Tank Depot
Hellcats

Blob your rifles and flamers like crazy and lol-charge the PE blob. Stick to green cover against armored cars. Do not go infantry company. When in doubt, get more flamer engis and hellcats.

On Sturzdorf and Langres (PE player in north), baserush strats can be fun against PE, for the lulz. Get early grenades and steal the base flak!
12 Jun 2014, 19:43 PM

Thanks lads, for some reason, fellow scrubs seem to like to play PE.
12 Jun 2014, 19:49 PM

If you aren't dominating the early game I really wouldn't go tank depot right away unless you go airborne for AT guns. Too many PE players will blob shreks, and ACs + shreks + panthers will dominate rifle play + Tank depot. Motor pool is your friend. I know a lot of people disagree but I think going tank depot first is a huge gamble and you are relying on outplaying your opponent. Ye eventually you want tank depot but getting 2 at guns and an m8 or two first is a stronger choice imo.
13 Jun 2014, 03:37 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

fast TD is a gamble indeed.
13 Jun 2014, 04:35 AM

The thing you have to remember playing against a PE is that you have to buy time and make him lose as much time as you can.

The 3 eng start is a must. Why ? Because they are cheap and can cover all the map real quick.

If one of your eng squad meets a PE gren squad, don't retreat your squad. Find cover, run behind a buildig, jump in and out ==> fix the PE squad so they have to deal with your eng squad. Try to bait the PE player to follow your eng squads around the map.

Doing that you'll get such dominance in the map control that any build order based on 3-4 rifles, triage/sticky, T4 will win the game.
14 Jun 2014, 15:50 PM

Cheers everyone, i'll try both approaches :)

I tried nades recently as PE players tended to blob, worked great on 1st throw, but most players can dodge them afterwards, making it a bit of a one shot wonder.

(Learning Vcoh several years after everyone else ^^)
18 Jun 2014, 22:19 PM

Nades are a bad choice against PE. Against a good player, you'll see very early AC, and nades puts a true counter to ACs 40 more fuel away. If you're going to go for the strategy Pepsi mentions (originally an Aimstrong strat, I believe) you should go Triage Center, then Sticky, then go for TD. If it's not going well, you can shortcut to Motor Pool and play more conservatively.
20 Jun 2014, 14:47 PM

Indeed, Aimstrong created this strat.

About the nades, you're totally right with the current metagame as every PE go fast acs or gren spam.

But nades are really fun to use if your opponent goes T2 HT with 4 to 5 pg squads - the joy of putting a nade inside the HT and watching the pgs stuck with it...
20 Jun 2014, 16:57 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jun 2014, 14:47 PMPepsi
Indeed, Aimstrong created this strat.

About the nades, you're totally right with the current metagame as every PE go fast acs or gren spam.

But nades are really fun to use if your opponent goes T2 HT with 4 to 5 pg squads - the joy of putting a nade inside the HT and watching the pgs stuck with it...

is that even possible? or the nade lands on the ground and then AOE does the damage inside the HT.
20 Jun 2014, 18:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jun 2014, 16:57 PMSpanky

is that even possible? or the nade lands on the ground and then AOE does the damage inside the HT.

The nade lands on the ground, so in the likely case that the halftrack moves it'll probably be a wasted nade.

Though if the halftrack doesn't move...
22 Jun 2014, 21:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jun 2014, 16:57 PMSpanky

yea, the damage is full and it will wipe the squad(s) inside the ht. I used to try some jeep micro vs the ht when PE were used to go T2 before T3.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★