Login

russian armor

Fury (2014)

13 Jul 2014, 01:03 AM

It's unfortunately missing the ubiquitous supporting armored halftracks and self propelled artillery (105s) of a US armored division. The US was the only army in the war with fully mechanized infantry and artillery regiments in their armored divisions.

All infantry were mounted on halftracks and in fact organic transport of 'armored doughs' was generally not on top of tanks.

The unsafe practice of carrying troops on top of tanks was most commonly among the independent armored battalions of the infantry divisions, which didn't have much mechanized transport.

The Waffen SS pzg were very 'young' generally in 1945. We're talking 16 and 17 years olds and so forth, not middle aged, overweight reinactors with clean uniforms...:-p. They were also generally very thin boys due to poor diet.

I guess these details were left out for budget reasons, and it's cheaper to have just tanks and infantry.
13 Jul 2014, 01:08 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

In "Saving Private Ryan" - also directed by Spielberg - socks were sufficient to get rid of one of the Tigers.

Spielberg had nothing to do with this project, as far as I know. It's written and directed by David Ayer, who did "End of Watch" (pretty cool movie about L.A. cops).
13 Jul 2014, 01:55 AM
Senior Caster Badge

2) Brad Pitt does a sacrifice to kill himself and the Tiger.

That's kind of how it worked in real life, right? Some Shermans would basically sit out at the front and get shot at while the others flanked, and the Shermans in the front would just have to pray they didn't get killed before the flankers had knocked out the Tigers.
13 Jul 2014, 10:42 AM

Definitely watching it for the tanks. I remember watching "A Bridge too far" and wondering what German WW2 tank those Leopard I were supposed to represent. This was awkward.

Still I can´t help the feeling that the movie is going to have some frustrating stereotype shit in it.

The Tiger will of course lose to the Sherman. Choose one of the following:

1) The Germans get cocky and do something stupid.
3) Brad Pitt has a super intelligent plan that would never work, but does work.
4) The Sherman just breaks the law of physics and destroys the Tiger without problems.

In "Saving Private Ryan" - also directed by Spielberg - socks were sufficient to get rid of one of the Tigers.

Either way... the Tiger won´t make it out alive in that movie.:D

The Leopard I did represent a Panther tank.

When you read IMDB closely, there will be actually 2 Tigers the shermans have to fight against. Well the hero of the movie, in this case the Sherman and its crew, will always win in the end. You can guess what will happen to the tiger.

Band of Brothers and especially The pacific are both series, which are more enjoyable to watch than Saving Private Ryan.
13 Jul 2014, 14:55 PM

Definitely watching it for the tanks. I remember watching "A Bridge too far" and wondering what German WW2 tank those Leopard I were supposed to represent. This was awkward.

Still I can´t help the feeling that the movie is going to have some frustrating stereotype shit in it.

The Tiger will of course lose to the Sherman. Choose one of the following:

1) The Germans get cocky and do something stupid.
3) Brad Pitt has a super intelligent plan that would never work, but does work.
4) The Sherman just breaks the law of physics and destroys the Tiger without problems.

They blew the Tiger's tracks with the Composite B socks, leaving it defenseless against the dudes climbing on it and killing the crew.
13 Jul 2014, 15:18 PM

They blew the Tiger's tracks with the Composite B socks, leaving it defenseless against the dudes climbing on it and killing the crew.
before injecting himself with meningitis to save the world
13 Jul 2014, 17:12 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I know most of you masturbate to fantasies of Germany winning World War II and stuff but I think it's a little harsh to already be accusing this movie of being "hooray Americans win." I mean even in fucking Saving Private Ryan basically all the good guys die. Maybe this movie won't just be Brad Pitt saving the world. It wouldn't hurt to watch it before shitting on it.
13 Jul 2014, 18:02 PM

I know most of you masturbate to fantasies of Germany winning World War II and stuff but I think it's a little harsh to already be accusing this movie of being "hooray Americans win." I mean even in fucking Saving Private Ryan basically all the good guys die. Maybe this movie won't just be Brad Pitt saving the world. It wouldn't hurt to watch it before shitting on it.
at this point of the war was their even a chance for nazis to comeback and win?
13 Jul 2014, 18:21 PM

If you want to create a serious movie without racism and patriotism, Brad Pitt is wrongly casted, especially after Inglorious Basterds. Btw. the final battle is against WaffenSS, again...
We will see wow it will work out in the end.
13 Jul 2014, 19:03 PM
Senior Caster Badge

It might surprise you to learn that casting Brad Pitt in a movie does not obligate you to make sure the plot of your movie is similar to other movies that include Brad Pitt.
13 Jul 2014, 19:31 PM
Patrion 310

Looking forward to see it... not because of Brad but because of the tanks... :).
13 Jul 2014, 20:45 PM

The Tiger Is were slowly phased out after the summer of 1944 with replacements being the Tiger II. By April 1945 most tigers in heavy panzer battalions were Tiger II.

There were few Tiger Is in the west front (most battalions were in the east) and the Sherman 76mm (1 out of 4 US Shermans during Normandy, almost 1 out of 2 by the end of 44') had no problem dealing with the flank/rear armor in combat ranges.

Then there were the tank destroyer battalions of every infantry division that had lots of 76mm guns. (M-10/M-18)

I believe that most encounters between the Tiger I and Sherman in the west were in fact between those of CW forces. They had 17- pounders similarly distributed pro-rata and these were enough to defeat the Tiger from the front rather easily.

That's kind of how it worked in real life, right? Some Shermans would basically sit out at the front and get shot at while the others flanked, and the Shermans in the front would just have to pray they didn't get killed before the flankers had knocked out the Tigers.

Tactical maneuver, the principle of defeat in detail. US procedures were to quickly exploit terrain features and use their special rounds against heavy armor, used 75mms to fix, and then use the 76mm Shermans to semi-circle so they could get a shot at the sides of the panzer. The fixers also fired smoke shells to blind the panzers and then engaged in rapid fire with AP to 'bug them out'.

It also helped that in the west, the Germans were so weak in 44' that most of the time they could only deploy company sized operations (circa a dozen panzers) in a single sector at most, and most tank to tank engagements between Allied vs. German armor had the Germans being outnumbered 1.5:1 or a bit more.

US combat tactics against heavy armor read nearly the same as German tactics against Soviet T-34s when piloting Panzer III L/42 and L/60s with their weak guns in 1942.
14 Jul 2014, 09:01 AM
Honorary Member Badge

You've never been in my laundry basket...

If it uses explosives it's very far from the worst that people have had availible to attack tanks with in an urban environment
17 Jul 2014, 20:19 PM

STICKIES OP BRO :P
18 Jul 2014, 22:37 PM

I believe a movie about a tank crew could either be extremley boring or very interessting, depending on how it's done :/
19 Jul 2014, 13:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2014, 22:37 PMFluffi
I believe a movie about a tank crew could either be extremley boring or very interessting, depending on how it's done :/

A movie about a tank crew, isn't something hard to get people in to it, just show a couple of explosions, and fast movement, and yay there you go Hollywood movie, thing about this movie is the story, which is really stupid, Oh no we are winning the war, oh no this 1 division is like surrounded. Just like loosing a inf squad in coh, when you are artying to enemies baes and all he has is 2 squads, cuz that would be interesting - _-
21 Jul 2014, 08:49 AM

I like it, when movies try to use real WWII equipment. That´s why i look forward to this movie, since i want to see the Tiger.
Another movie where they used a real Tiger i mentioned already above.
Here is a movie, where they used StugIII:
22 Jul 2014, 22:29 PM

Stugs are awesome ^^
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment