Login

russian armor

Grey Goo - From C&C Creators

24 Jan 2015, 09:45 AM

This could be a nice alternative to all the frustration coh2 brings. Looked good on Romeos stream.
24 Jan 2015, 13:05 PM

I like everything about the game design, look and feel, however I am very picky about what type of RTS genres I like to play, and, well, sci fi isn't a particular favorite. Everything has been well-done except for the appearance and capabilities of the 3 designated factions provided. They seem quite bland and boring to use.... Overall if I ever get the game I'll wait until a raffle or when it goes on sale, just to enjoy the in-game look of it, and maybe see if I might actually find the game entertaining(I am skeptical about that part).
Oh one more note, the voice actors are sub par, especially for the Human faction. The repetitive annoyance of their robo-like voice and constant beeps by not putting the building you selected in the right spot can prob become a huge pain to listen to overtime.
24 Jan 2015, 13:25 PM

I haven't brought the game yet and have been a little too busy to get around to it yet but from watching some game play footage on a few different streams my opinion of if is a little meh.

I don't mind the sci fi genre but a lot of the points being made here about blandness and blobbing make me think of the CoH2 current meta but sci fi its seems some people are seeing it the same way.

I'll probably get it anyway if a few friends get it but I'm going to hold off to see who i know that is actually going to play it.

Oh and Von, I must say that was a great read, well said. :D
24 Jan 2015, 15:01 PM
24 Jan 2015, 23:27 PM
Donator 33

Here is the impression of "Grey Goo" from a guy who's just "Let's Play'd" it.

This is the last mission. I suggest you see the first few minutes and the end -that utter disgust and despair.

I lost it, having followed the story all through to see if might be something for me.
25 Jan 2015, 12:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2014, 11:58 AMpionr
nice ideas

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2014, 11:58 AMpionr
blobs running over the field

This made me chuckle.

Although i like the idea of more strategic and less micro intense gameplay i really don't like the fantasy sci-fi setting. The only sic-fi i ever really got into was eve-online.
25 Jan 2015, 15:53 PM

MP servers are crashing badly :( that or there are drop hacks as I only ever seem to "Lose connection" to games I'm winning.
25 Jan 2015, 16:42 PM
Honorary Member Badge

honestly want this game right now so bad. :D
26 Jan 2015, 01:12 AM

Im gonna have to keep my eyes on this game.
26 Jan 2015, 02:13 AM

Funny finding so much interest and support in a game that is literally about building a blob and running it into your opponents blob in these forums, where seemingly 95% of the people in these forums have voiced their frustrations about blobbing in CoH2 at some point or another. But eh, Grey Goo is a very different RTS than CoH2 and they can't really be compared, so that's understandable I guess.

I've watched a little gameplay of Grey Goo and have read all the information that was available on the game's website before it launched. I honestly was interested in the game up to the point that I watched someone play it. It is exactly what they say it is, a baby of Starcraft and C&C (probably more like C&C from what I've seen). Problem with that is those games have been done before, and there is really no innovation here. The CoH franchise appeals to me, and probably to a lot of other people, too, because it takes the focus away from all the macro (Base building and resource collecting) and instead allows you to focus on map control through the use of your units. CoH was the first game to introduce me to that concept, and since then, it is what defines a good RTS for me. I've found other RTSs that are similar (like Men of War), and also found them to be more enjoyable than the traditional base building, unit spamming RTS because I had already played and enjoyed better versions of those types of games, and pretty much have had my fill.

As far as playing this game competitively, sure, I can see that. In all honesty, for a game to be "competitive" it has to be stripped down and made to be bland and symmetric, that way there is no "RnG" or wildcards that affect game play (or, everyones favorite buzzword, it has to be in perfect "Balance"). This game is in it's very early stages, so I'm sure at some point those points will be looked at critically by both devs and the gaming community.

Who am I kidding, I only typed this up to bring to light the irony of the hype of a game about building blobs in the CoH2 forums.
26 Jan 2015, 04:07 AM

I'm not quite sure what to think of it yet.

From what I've seen so far, the factions seem to lack a bit of personality. That probably stems from my lack of interest in sci-fi and how spoiled I am by the great personality that coh factions bring to the table (and C&C generals ofc). Also everything about this game seems a bit slow paced compared to other rts games. Building and expansion seems fairly quick but the units move sooo slowly.

On the other hand, I loved C&C so if this is anything like that then it's going to be worth a shot in my opinion.

Edit: That price holy shift
26 Jan 2015, 08:45 AM

The game is great but theres some lag issues (fps and ping) and sometimes the ques take 50 minutes or so. Don't get it yet if you're planning to buy it, wait until the issues are fixed
26 Jan 2015, 11:51 AM

I played this in beta last summer for quite some time. The first look of it is quite impressive, but the deeper I gone into the game the more grows sceptic on me.

Lets take a look at the game:
- No veterancy
- No reinforcement or heal mechanics
- No transport system (even c&c 1 got this 20 years ago)
- No global abilities nor unit abilities
- No weather conditions
- No replays (devs claim it to be released soon)
- No CoOP in SP
- Just a handfull of playable maps
- Only one enviroment (after seeing the same old muddy swampland ten times in a row its start to annoy, no matter how good it looks)
- cover system simplified to the extreme
- The claimed differences between the factions are an farce. The units surely got different 3d models but they keep exactly the same. Same stats, same role, just mirrored. The one and only real variety between the faction is the way they build up their base...
- zero, really zero tactical depth with a very limited strategical factor
- some people got massive hardware issues, mostly due a hasty optimation
- some people got massive connection issues in mp resolving in constant drops from a game (if you are even able to ever get a game up)

All in all this game is just a big clusterfuck, a well looking clusterfuck.
I can only imagine two kinds of user that going to be happy with this overprized game:
1. Casual players that want to play a SP campaign in an rts
2. Players that a focused on FPS and finally want to play at least one RTS in their livetime.

If you are an RTS veteran, there is nothing that you havent seen already done in a better way. And for me, personally, if you once played CoH and got used to it, there is no going back to such a outdated game.
26 Jan 2015, 12:32 PM

I have to be honest - I thought Supreme Commander was a cracking futuristic RTS.

Steep learning curve for some I feel but a shame they never fixed the issue with Hyperthreading on Multiplayer Games.

This game looks a bit similar to it for me.
26 Jan 2015, 13:13 PM

I was interested in it but price...Its like they overpriced it to show how rts genere lacks any other titles - so lets milk it.
26 Jan 2015, 17:01 PM

As far as playing this game competitively, sure, I can see that. In all honesty, for a game to be "competitive" it has to be stripped down and made to be bland and symmetric, that way there is no "RnG" or wildcards that affect game play (or, everyones favorite buzzword, it has to be in perfect "Balance").

I disagree entirely that a game has to be bland to be balanced, as well as that RNG inherently makes games more 'exciting'. Having said that the feedback I'm getting from this sounds like it is kind of bland in the gameplay department and balancing compared to CoH :(

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2015, 11:51 AMSputnik
SNIP

Thanks for this excellent post! It's nice to hear some honest feedback based on multiplayer (which is the the legs of games like this for me usually).

It's a shame to hear the factions are basically cookie-cutters of each other, I was really expecting them to be very varied based on their aesthetics and base design. I don't mind a slower paced RTS that focuses on macro and base building but if it's going to be the same units and very same-y gameplay I'll wait for a price drop.

It does seem like most people playing this game are all more interested in the single player campaign and comp stomp 4v4 matches and the like, probably very casual players. Which is fine, I'm sure it's a nice single player game, but that's not what I'm looking for.
28 Jan 2015, 11:06 AM

I'm a big fan of classic RTS games with little micro (strategy depends on types of units and way to attack, instead of high APM, hiding behind covers, RNG etc.).

Best RTS every for me was Cossack 1. Gardening mirror design, huge armies, many resources, no veterancy, upgrades. Just awesome.
Same for Warlord Battlecry III. Resources, very similar factions design, no covers, veterancy.
Or Battle for middle earth II.

It's only about units you make, choosing right direction. No RNG, no nothing, just math.

Those 3 RTS games are/were best in my opinion and Grey Goo is trying to do something similar, although I don't like units design. They look very similar, especially humans race...
28 Jan 2015, 11:37 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jan 2015, 15:01 PMPantus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ELug2mPc0

TB released a WTF on it.
Wow, just watched this. If TB was this positively impressed with a basic RTS such as Grey Goo just imagine what he would say about CoH2. I might be biased but CoH2 is really leaps and bounds ahead in almost every respect, both technically and in terms of game mechanics and depth.

TB is a hugely respected figure when it comes to PC gaming. What saddens me is we or SEGA will never know how much his boycott impacted the game sales, but I am willing to bet it would not be negligible by any means. Especially if he reviewed it now that the game has been polished and has a slew of new content.
28 Jan 2015, 15:14 PM
Patrion 15

Yeah Grey Goo looks waaaaaay to slow paced for me.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS