Login

russian armor

Gain ELO for losing?

21 Apr 2014, 03:05 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I've noticed in 2p AT games that when my team loses to a high-ranked team, we actually move up the ladder. That's not how ELO is supposed to work. Why does it happen? Bad maths? Bonus points for something?
21 Apr 2014, 03:46 AM

I get ranked up with Soviets without playing some game modes and ranked down with Germans.

Is it case with Soviets? I concluded that there is huge movement in ranks due to balance issues and higher ranked Soviets getting de-ranked by low ranked Germans.

21 Apr 2014, 06:23 AM

It's probably because in the same time you lose your game, others team also lost games in the same ladder and in the same time. Improbable, but not impossible.

If the elo system is the same as in DOW2, it's impossible to win elo while losing if you are not anymore in placement matches. There was a rest pool system, à la sc2, but I have no idea if it's implemented in COH2, and those rest pool points was added to your elo points only when you won games anyway.

And if it's the same as in DOW2, if the gap between the two teams is too high, the high level players winning the game will gain +0 elo, and the low level players loosing will lose -0 elo.
So, if you lose vs a high level team, you lose 0 elo, and in the same time an other team close to you in the ladder lose a game, losing x elo points, it's possible to climb up the ladder.

But only a Relic dev can answer this. As long as we don't see elo points, we can only make assumptions.
21 Apr 2014, 08:54 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I don't think that's the case. I'm talking about going from like rank 500 to rank 350 after losing one game in the course of 1/2h. I've noticed it happening twice now.
21 Apr 2014, 09:26 AM

Permanently Banned
maybe others lose too
21 Apr 2014, 11:51 AM

I believe it is possible to gain Elo for losing if the gap between players is high enough and other parameters are set in certain ways. Maybe the equation/algorithm may be knocked out of line a bit with the AT and RT change.

The matchmaking factor is important, if it puts you against high players, it maybe figures that you should also be up there in the ranking so you get lots of Elo gain for winning (and conversely even dont lose Elo for losing). i.e. your matchmaking rating may be much higher than your current Elo level, so these things will happen until you get even points for playing people your level.
21 Apr 2014, 13:06 PM

I've seen that happen before and my only guess is that it could look at "how much" you lost by and treat it accordingly. e.g. if you're 1000 ELO ranks behind the other team but they only win by 50 VPs, the ranking system still counts that as a "win" for you because it should have been a crushing defeat and moves you up accordingly.
21 Apr 2014, 13:12 PM
Honorary Member Badge

its amusing that it happens but is it really a bad thing?

21 Apr 2014, 13:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Apr 2014, 09:26 AMakosi
maybe others lose too

Impossible that 150 of the top 500 teams would drop behind them over half an hour...probably only 150 different teams play CoH2 over the course of the day :facepalm:
21 Apr 2014, 23:45 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

This thread has inspired some wild theories, to say the least!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★