Login

russian armor

Handicap system in coh2 matchmaking?

17 Apr 2014, 20:00 PM

Would a handicap system work in the matchmaking system (?), when better players on the leader-board are pitted against lower players.

By handicapped --- the lesser skilled player has --- for example (but let relic figure it out), his units are say 20-30% more effective (all dependent on the where they are on the leader-board ladder) vs the a higher skilled player.

But if the players are more closely matched the handicap difference would be less or none.

Or maybe players would fall into some kind of handicap bracket ...depending on where they are on the ladder ...at the time. As the lesser skilled player gets better via the win/loss process his handicap is naturally reduced as he climbs the leader-board (sliding handicap?).

Wouldn't this open up the matchmaking player base ? ---- everyone could essentially play everyone of a pretty even footing with a handicap system.
17 Apr 2014, 20:09 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

What is the reason of giving tools to the worse player to be able to win a better player? How would you feel if you were in the position of the "better" player seeing you are clearly better than your opponent but that he is getting boosts to be able to beat you?

Don't you think it wouldn't be fair at all? And, how could you define who is the best if you put everyone on the same level by adding handicaps into the equation? There is no logic xD
17 Apr 2014, 20:12 PM
Patrion 310

No please no... but the matchmaking should be fair...
17 Apr 2014, 20:14 PM

That is a horrible suggestion. Pls no
17 Apr 2014, 20:16 PM

The purpose of a handicap system is to make the game more enjoyable by enabling players of differing abilities to compete on an equitable basis. The system would provide fair handicaps for players regardless of ability, and adjusts a player's handicap up or down as the player’s game changes.
17 Apr 2014, 20:17 PM

I see someone got lost on his way to WoW pve forums.

If you are bad and get matched against better player you will keep loosing until you will improve yourself.
This is how competitive gaming works.
17 Apr 2014, 20:27 PM

Do you want to be like Call of Duty? Because thats how Call of Duty is.
17 Apr 2014, 20:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 20:17 PMKatitof
I see someone got lost on his way to WoW pve forums.

If you are bad and get matched against better player you will keep loosing until you will improve yourself.
This is how competitive gaming works.

And as you improve -- your handicap will be less vs better players and when you play a lower ranked player ...you will be the one giving them the handicap.
Only Relic postRelic 17 Apr 2014, 20:30 PM

I think this could be something useful in Custom games. You could play against a top level friend by boosting your starting resources and lowering his.

In Automatch though it doesn't seem like something we'd want to get into, as we want the Leaderboards to be a reflection of skill. The Automatch system itself should be, after the first handful of games, be matching people against opponents that they have a chance to beat so giving one a boost seems like it ignores the purpose of that.
17 Apr 2014, 20:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 20:28 PMLionRed

And as you improve -- your handicap will be less vs better players and when you play a lower ranked player ...you will be the one giving them the handicap.

And this player will improve too. Can't see the problem.
17 Apr 2014, 20:46 PM

SC-2 has this feature for custom games. It works nicely there. It has no place in ranked matches though.
17 Apr 2014, 21:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 20:30 PMNoun
I think this could be something useful in Custom games. You could play against a top level friend by boosting your starting resources and lowering his.

In Automatch though it doesn't seem like something we'd want to get into, as we want the Leaderboards to be a reflection of skill. The Automatch system itself should be, after the first handful of games, be matching people against opponents that they have a chance to beat so giving one a boost seems like it ignores the purpose of that.

With a handicap system....everyone should be on a relatively even footing. Although the higher ranked player is more likely to win ...due to him less likely to make mistakes in the long run.

You want more people to play tournaments?

With a handicap system....you would be more likely to get more lower ranked players to think about playing in tournaments.

Perhaps players would be more willing to play in a tournament based on a handicap system vs the current method. As a lowly low player....hearing talk of COH2 tournament doesn't get me excited -- seriously what chance does the casual player base have at winning.

Perhaps COH2 should (due a test) host a tournament for those using a handicap system for the lowly amateur players of COH2 and a pro level (non handicap play field area) for those that think they are very good.

Unfortunately without a lobby system, mm is the way the majority of people get a game to play in COH2--- It would have to be in mm.

Maybe when the basically very good players play another very good player...no handicap system put on. But when the very good player meets the casual player -- A handicap comes into play?
17 Apr 2014, 21:15 PM

I think this would be an awesome feature for custom games. Most my friends list can't match my skill and I feel horrible bearing up on my friends. This would give us the opportunity to have an option to play that we can both enjoy. I hope you actually consider this PQ. Obviously this has no place in ladder however.
17 Apr 2014, 21:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 21:14 PMLionRed

With a handicap system....everyone should be on a relatively even footing. Although the higher ranked player is more likely to win ...due to him less likely to make mistakes in the long run.

You want more people to play tournaments?

With a handicap system....you would be more likely to get more lower ranked players to think about playing in tournaments.

Perhaps players would be more willing to play in a tournament based on a handicap system vs the current method. As a lowly low player....hearing talk of COH2 tournament doesn't get me excited -- seriously what chance does the casual player base have at winning.

Perhaps COH2 should (due a test) host a tournament for those using a handicap system for the lowly amateur players of COH2 and a pro level (non handicap play field area) for those that think they are very good.

Unfortunately without a lobby system, mm is the way the majority of people get a game to play in COH2--- It would have to be in mm.

and casters because that's fucking bullshit MVGame
Seb
17 Apr 2014, 22:14 PM
Admin Black Badge

This idea is wrong on so many levels.

What is the pride of winning with an unfair advantage? Where do you learn anything and make progress? You just won because you had more resources, this is pointless and totally boring for both players, it doesn't make the competition entertaining for anyone.

Outside of that, how can you even rank players between them if they don't play on even field?

Not to mention changing the rules is changing the game, and basically playing another one that is not the one that is meant to be. It makes practicing even harder because you never get the proper conditions.

Competing on equal basis as you say means having the same tools and chances from the get go, not having an advantage that creates everything but equal conditions.

There is not a single one of the goals you want this system to achieve that are actually fulfilled by it.

Some do have workarounds, but the core problem is the handicap changing the game, and there's no way around it. We are playing and the competition is about COH2 500VP Standard Resources and all the other parameters as we know them (map design, armies design, all the work that is done towards balance, you name it).

Those have been designed for a reason (they make the game the most fun and balanced). Maybe there is interest for your suggestion too, that could be another game, but don't expect anyone enjoying the game as it is now to have any interest to use and replace it by what you suggest.

I think you literally couldn't find a worse suggestion to propose to a competitive player base (ok except mechanics not rewarding skill, and its worse subcategory pay2win ; and I could also argue that handicap is actually also mechanics not rewarding skill), even though as I said I do respect the suggestion and I do respect those to whom it caters. You're just onto the wrong target.
18 Apr 2014, 03:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 20:00 PMLionRed
Would a handicap system work in the matchmaking system (?), when better players on the leader-board are pitted against lower players.

Definitely, handicap system would work in matchmaking system. I am not sure how many people would be happy to play game like that tho.
Personally I didn't like handicaps that were/still are in place in COH2.
What you suggest would be instant uninstall for me
18 Apr 2014, 10:11 AM

After Relic choice to not show player win/loss stats directly in game.
After Relic choice to not show player XP in loading screen.
After Relic choice to introduce P2W.
After Relic choice to not develop an obs mode.

Relic next phase of development to please casual players : remove automatch.
18 Apr 2014, 10:55 AM

After Relic choice to not show player win/loss stats directly in game.
After Relic choice to not show player XP in loading screen.
After Relic choice to introduce P2W.
After Relic choice to not develop an obs mode.

Relic next phase of development to please casual players : remove automatch.

1. They did that because people were dropping when they saw that the person they were playing against had a higher rank.

2. They didn't intend it to be P2W, otherwise they wouldn't put a lot of money into fixing the new commanders.

3. They never said they were NOT developing this, just that it's not their highest priority now.
18 Apr 2014, 11:05 AM

I don't like this idea, but current matchmaking is just retarded.
Sometimes in 3vs3 I play against 3 lvl 100 with teammates who are like lvl 38 and 57.
What the heck? I thought matchmaking is supposed to conduct games between players of similar skills.

Oh wait, I get it. The game is so unbalanced, and the soviet faction is so unpopular that fair matchmaking between same level players is not possible. It already takes long times for Germans to find a game, since players base is extremely unpopulated.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★