Login

russian armor

Handicap system in coh2 matchmaking?

18 Apr 2014, 11:59 AM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 20:16 PMLionRed
The purpose of a handicap system is to make the game more enjoyable by enabling players of differing abilities to compete on an equitable basis. The system would provide fair handicaps for players regardless of ability, and adjusts a player's handicap up or down as the player’s game changes.

Its a ladder for a reason... Automatch is played competitively, atleast that's the reason games have a ladder. If you want to just have fun and enjoyable game then find someone and play custom games with them.
18 Apr 2014, 12:22 PM

Optional handicaps for custom games: yeah sure why not if someone wants them.

Handicaps for automatch: probably the worst suggestion I've seen on these forums, and that's saying something...
18 Apr 2014, 12:58 PM

Agree it makes no sense in automatch, but what automatch and more specifically tournaments really need is divisions. To steal from SC2 a little, having separate tournaments for master, diamond, gold, etc. I realize it's a bit of a pipe dream given the population, but it might actually increase tournament numbers because less skilled players might be more inclined to sign up if they're not just going to be curb stomped by top 100 players in the first round.

CoHO actually had a semi decent system for this as well - when you were outranked your team received an XP / "money" bonus for sticking it out and playing through. If this were usable to unlock skins or commanders or other DLC stuff, that would probably alleviate a lot of issues on several fronts.
18 Apr 2014, 15:05 PM

By the way, there is a handicap system currently in.

It was introduced with last patch and is called "playing as germans".

If you struggle this patch with them, then you really have issues(I'm looking at you Hans among the others).
18 Apr 2014, 16:38 PM

3. They never said they were NOT developing this, just that it's not their highest priority now.

Actually quite the opposite. They explicitly stated they were currently working on an observer mode.
18 Apr 2014, 16:42 PM

Actually quite the opposite. They explicitly stated they were currently working on an observer mode.

Oh really? That's cool.
18 Apr 2014, 17:05 PM

You could give the worse player a l2p boost to take their units power level over 9000. I think that would work.
18 Apr 2014, 17:16 PM

How about this?

Unranked automatch?
COH2 no longer have smurf, then I can't test a new stuff before losing a couple of games to get familiar with it.
18 Apr 2014, 18:05 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Apr 2014, 17:16 PMPorygon
How about this?

Unranked automatch?
COH2 no longer have smurf, then I can't test a new stuff before losing a couple of games to get familiar with it.

Before someone says it: do we have enough playerbase :P ?
18 Apr 2014, 20:02 PM
Honorary Member Badge

as noun said an option for custom games if its implemented at all.
19 Apr 2014, 00:36 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post18 Apr 2014, 17:16 PMPorygon
How about this?

Unranked automatch?

it is called 2v2+ or vs AI :D
19 Apr 2014, 02:19 AM

Unranked automatch sounds cool until you realize that people will just totally dick around in it, ie., you might want to legitimately try something new and the other guy will spam mortars and wire them off so you can't get to them or something.

What would be cool is unranked automatch with a limit every month, say 25 games, that way you could try stuff out without having it kill your rank, and the limit would keep people from not playing seriously or going afk, at least to some extent.

Or, and I know this is kind of radical, you could make friends and ask them for games. But this is a tough community, I usually don't get responses from opponents when I ask them for advice.

19 Apr 2014, 10:43 AM

There is a handicap in place already. If you want to win against a better player pick german and make your opponent soviet. Not the best solution but it is there for you to exploit.
19 Apr 2014, 17:04 PM

There is a handicap in place already. If you want to win against a better player pick german and make your opponent soviet. Not the best solution but it is there for you to exploit.

BAAAZINGA!

@Sluz

Welcome to the Internetz. Where everybody comes to be complete assholes to complete strangers that share a common interest......

Imagine if you went into a sporting good shop to pickup some Archery equipment and the guys there were like STFU NOOB L2P....I love the Internetz....
20 Apr 2014, 04:25 AM

The idea of handicap comes from playing golf - must be a pretty shitty idea as the handicap system been around for almost 150 yrs+ (if I understand correctly).

Handicaps in amateur golf -- allows those players of all levels of skill to play amongst each other. The top player in a league/match or tournament can effectively play the lowest crappiest player of the day and it could still be a very good match/game. Golf wouldn't have anyone playing it if it was all about the best pro vs pro -- the game survives on us lowly amateurs.

Heaven forbid! -- Someone suggest something like a handicap in COH2 to get more players playing amongst others in some kind of even match (face it top players vs lowers players...wow seriously?). With the current system.....if the field isn't within a certain range they will never play each other or they shouldn't be playing. But as the number of players continue to dwindle more and matches that should happen, do happen ---driving the crushed (lower skilled) players away (perhaps from the game entirely). Cause hey! They are having so much fun getting their asses handed to him match after match!

In golf -- When I go against a player on a (casual golf player) +20 handicap vs me on my +8, in a match. I know I have to be on my game. Shit I have to be on my game in any match...cause that is how a freaking handicap works. I don't tell the guy after a match I lost----sheeshhh I lost to a shit +20 --- you suck!!! Get off the freaking golf course ya freaking hacker or l2p! I shake the mans hand, say good match, and buy him a beer! And news flash....the guy on +20 enjoys the match too (if he should lose).....cause they have a freaking chance!

A handicap system is just a terrible idea...how could anyone ever think such a thing could possible work, be fair, increase the player base or keep people wanting to play COH2.

My sincere apologizes! -- LR
22 Apr 2014, 10:14 AM
Honorary Member Badge

the question is do you see anyone in golf forced to use the handicap system? because that is exactly what you are purposing.
22 Apr 2014, 10:18 AM

get beaten at Golf - Get beaten at COH2 - write a thread about handicap system

It all makes sense now
22 Apr 2014, 10:39 AM

Even in paraolympic the better one wins.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★