Login

russian armor

Melee Combat

16 Apr 2014, 13:45 PM

One thing that should be added to COH2 is melee combat.

It kinda made sense that in COH1 it was not included since there was much less actual melee fighting in that theater by that point of the war.

However, on the eastern front melee hand-to-hand combat was quite common. In fact it was standard russian practice to have bayonets fixed at all times. Besides that many Russian soldiers sharpened their entrenching tool as sharp as a knife.

It would be intersting to add to the game play. In terms of balance, Russian > German. German > American for melee combat.

Melee combat would be a player activated ability where once you get within a proximity you activate the ability and your squad will engage enemy squad in melee fighting. The two squads would be "immobile" as in you can't issue a move order to disengage from melee, but you can still retreat.
16 Apr 2014, 15:38 PM

One thing that should be added to COH2 is melee combat.

It kinda made sense that in COH1 it was not included since there was much less actual melee fighting in that theater by that point of the war.

However, on the eastern front melee hand-to-hand combat was quite common. In fact it was standard russian practice to have bayonets fixed at all times. Besides that many Russian soldiers sharpened their entrenching tool as sharp as a knife.

It would be intersting to add to the game play. In terms of balance, Russian > German. German > American for melee combat.

Melee combat would be a player activated ability where once you get within a proximity you activate the ability and your squad will engage enemy squad in melee fighting. The two squads would be "immobile" as in you can't issue a move order to disengage from melee, but you can still retreat.

and this surely wouldnt be gamebreaking at all. PGrens coming? LEL melee and force insta retreat.
16 Apr 2014, 16:00 PM

Throw the whole idea out because one interpretation of it has a problem.

Sounds fun and it would be worth keeping units at range. There would have to be balance considerations for close-range troops (PPSh, MP40)--maybe trying to melee them would be too risky because they keep using their guns.

It would probably be too simple if there were predictable outcomes or based on RNG (simple as in win or lose not decided by the player once it's underway, like a ram). There would probably have to be something for the player to watch and react to (micromanage) to get the edge in combat. Otherwise it would become annoying.
16 Apr 2014, 16:22 PM

Melee combat is nice but too RNG based as to my mind the player can do nothing by watch and hope things go well... It's part of my problem with Total War games these days...
16 Apr 2014, 16:24 PM

CoH2 already does have melee combat. They're called submachineguns since they're useless at any range but point blank.
16 Apr 2014, 16:52 PM

You are "slightely" exaggerating here. Fixed bayonets is never a standard as it significantly reduces the ability to aim.
16 Apr 2014, 17:42 PM

You are "slightely" exaggerating here. Fixed bayonets is never a standard as it significantly reduces the ability to aim.

However, the Mosin-Nagant M91/30 was by formal practice sighted in with the bayonet attached. Because of this, a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 without its Bayonet will fire to the left of intended targets due to the discrepancy of barrel harmonics with the bayonet attached versus detached, necessitating a re-zeroing if the user intends to fire the weapon without bayonet.

Perhaps dumb considering keeping bayonets mounted is extremely impractical, but that was the way the weapons were delivered.
16 Apr 2014, 17:48 PM

I think these are just one of those things that sound really cool on paper but will be horribly executed. If it was designed from the ground up at the start, it could work but at this stage its just something that's too gimmicky and has more consequences than you can comprehend at first glance.
16 Apr 2014, 18:01 PM

Yes, it may sound cool. I could imagine that if two squads get close it would RNG on low health soldiers a sync-kill-animation like in DoW and one guy would rifle-butt another during a shoot-out. But as I said the animations had to sync or it would look silly and then this would create all new problems with units running out of cover (even more), not retreating, beeing invulnerable during the animation and what not.

I would like to see rifles one or two shot guys who come too close because I think these "Naked Gun" fights which drag on for half a minute are a bit silly, too. I'd like it if you'd try to run in front of the other guys cover, they will shoot you dead before you get there.
16 Apr 2014, 18:04 PM

Watch out, you might inadvertently offend some Russian nationalists..

"This game depicts Soviets as savage barbarians, beating the enemy to death with rifle butts. Unbelievable! The creators of this game should have their houses seized and their property annexed to the closest Russian embassy! Outrage!"
16 Apr 2014, 18:07 PM

Watch out, you might inadvertently offend some Russian nationalists..

"This game depicts Soviets as savage barbarians, beating the enemy to death with rifle butts. Unbelievable! The creators of this game should have their houses seized and their property annexed to the closest Russian embassy! Outrage!"

Oh, I didn't want that. Of course they can choose any way they like to kill each other, as long as no ones feelings get hurt.
16 Apr 2014, 18:29 PM

yeah that's what coh need
http://youtu.be/HjSsuSbGSYc?t=1m30s
16 Apr 2014, 18:44 PM

yeah that's what coh need
http://youtu.be/HjSsuSbGSYc?t=1m30s

jesus that movie. 0/10.

It's just a parody and makes fun out of both sides. It's horrible and it's an insult to both sides, both german and soviet.
Yuck yuck yuck.

I'd rather watch some old 1960-80 soviet war film .

I can't understand why they can't make a single movie where it shows actual conventional millitary tactics being used. All movies have to have some kind of hollywood bullshit in them.
16 Apr 2014, 18:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2014, 18:44 PMBurts
I can't understand why they can't make a single movie where it shows actual conventional millitary tactics being used. All movies have to have some kind of hollywood bullshit in them.

Maybe that's because conventional military tactics are tedious and boring and in the end you would have a documentary. Movies are about the feels. The whys and whos and whoms. Not so much about the hows.
16 Apr 2014, 19:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2014, 17:42 PMeebies

However, the Mosin-Nagant M91/30 was by formal practice sighted in with the bayonet attached. Because of this, a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 without its Bayonet will fire to the left of intended targets due to the discrepancy of barrel harmonics with the bayonet attached versus detached, necessitating a re-zeroing if the user intends to fire the weapon without bayonet.

Perhaps dumb considering keeping bayonets mounted is extremely impractical, but that was the way the weapons were delivered.

Yes, I know the majority of the 91/30s is sighted with the bayonet, a WWI relic if you will, but at close range that accuracy difference isn't that much of a problem. At longer ranges it is better to adjust the sights than to attach the bayonet as this takes a lot of time and makes the 91/30 extremely long.
16 Apr 2014, 19:23 PM

what does RNG means guys? can u plz tell me :(
16 Apr 2014, 19:32 PM

Being able to "storm" buildings would be cool.

As would having an interactive interior for buildings. Shoot a hole in the wall with a panzerschreck then charge through :P
16 Apr 2014, 21:44 PM

As would having an interactive interior for buildings. Shoot a hole in the wall with a panzerschreck then charge through :P

As sexy as that would be...it would cause way too much QQ that it is worth.
16 Apr 2014, 23:09 PM

what does RNG means guys? can u plz tell me :(

The RNG is the Random Number Generator. He is responsible for all the random things happening in (this case) CoH.
16 Apr 2014, 23:22 PM

I think buildings are pretty cool already, with the window mechanic, and if you blow a hole in a house with your panzershrek, there is already a hole which units can use too shoot out of^^
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★