Login

russian armor

Changing Sides

15 Apr 2014, 00:48 AM

Hi this is the first topic i create and i am still a bit new to the game but when i started playing i only played as the soviets and i played and played but eventually i wanted to try the germans and after a few games i realized i cant play sh***t with them everybody says they are OP when compared to the soviets specially after the last patch and i believe it which is more of a reason why i feel so dumb but i cant seem to win a game i don´t know why i thought i was a "reasonable" soviet player and it wouldn´t be so hard to change to german but it was i am doing everything wrong because with the soviets i went on playing with an already specific strategy in mind and i would usualy pick the commander right of the bat and then build my game around it also i had options either t1 or t2 t3 or t4 or t1 - t4 or t2 - t3 and so on with the germans i feel like i have "less choice" i can skip tiers but everything its diferent more "standart" i dont know if i am making myself clear.
For instance i cant seem to get any timing right sometimes i forget to tech up and when realize my oponet as T/34 all over me and i got nothing sometimes i skip techs when i shouldn´t and then find myself forced to back tech for instance t2 for paks so i need help and i probably shoulnd´t have played only one faction since the beggining and for so long but how could i change and adapt to german?

Also if anyone could tip me on the commander sugestions or loadouts and if there are any commanders more suited for someone who just recently stoped playing soviet because again with the russians the commanders had a much more "active role" and i tried doing this with the germans and it obviously failed.

Thanks in advance sorry about the long text.

ps: i have besides the free commanders Ostruppen, Mechanised assault, Elite troops, Lufft support and Lightning war
15 Apr 2014, 01:04 AM

hahah When I started, I did also forget to tech in the main HQ, so when I saw an enemy SU85, I was still on T2!!! But that is practice and practice, timing is also practice, believe me.

If the enemy goes defensive with T4 or ISU152, get Jaeger armor doctrine with Elefant.
If the enemy is more mobile with T34 spam or IS2, get Panthers.

In my opinion, only use Tiger on urban maps. Its good to combat infantry and also tanks.

Dont forget to get always LMG42 on grens..they ripp apart everything, and if the enemy spams 120mm, mortars or maxims, remember to get the Mortar Halftrack with incendiary rounds <444>3

But remember, practice is all.
15 Apr 2014, 04:30 AM

Hi!
This is what I did when I first started out and it greatly helped my game out.

I would recommend you do these two things a couple times:
1) Custom game against AI.
- In this you wont actually be playing against the AI you will be practicing getting your timings for buying units down

- Attempt to use control groups to capture

- exit the game when it reaches 5-6 mins (or when you get to t2

**generally you should have about 4-5 tier 1 units (grens and stuff) by that time. I would do this until you can execute a opening build.

2) Download replays with good players to watch what they build, their bulletins, and what commanders they use. Contemplate why they would get it, and DECIDE if that is what you would do too --- as well as if that is what you'd be comfortable with using.
- Open tactical map up to watch where he sends his first units.
- To save time watch at 2x speed
- While watching these figure out the similarities between sovs and germans, and the stark differences. Capitalize on the similarities to improve your gameplay for germans.

Hope that helps C:
15 Apr 2014, 05:10 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I was in much the same position, I started playing with just the Soviets and only started playing Ost later.

Some suggestions:

Commander makes much less difference to the Germans unless you pick Mechanised Assault or Ostruppen (both of which in some respects, especially the former play like pre-patch Sovs)

Therefore take options that do not have particularly unique units and learn to play the German Core.

Depending on the game mode and the level of opposition you will probably get to build 3 out of 4 buldings and 4 is not uncommon.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Russians are a la carte fine dining, because all your choices matter and they have to work well together.

The Germans are an all you can eat buffet, you can generally take a little of everything

My suggested choices:

Anything with Recon, Spotting Scope or Smoke Dischargers.

Being able to see what the Soviets are up to is very useful, and you'll have to deal with your armour being buttoned and marked which is very unpleasent if it has never happened to you before.
16 Apr 2014, 01:16 AM

On the topic of commanders is Lufftwaffle Support doctrine viable in 1v1 as german?
16 Apr 2014, 02:00 AM

Grenspam, drop medic supply, more uber Gren :P
17 Apr 2014, 18:35 PM

Ok so far after playing a bit more i managed to win a few games but then i noticed everytime i won i skipped t2 don´t know why but i build 4 grens 1 mortar always and sometimes MG42 so 5-6 units and if i manage to "win" the early game over and go straigh for t3 i will just PIV spam.
However i dont recall a single game that i went for t2 and won so this means if i don´t win the EG or at least dominate enough to go PIV i always lose so what am i doing wrong???

btw never even built T4 so far just never need it PIV already so much better than t34/76 and if they go for something "bigger" i just call tiger should i start getting panthers are their worth in this patch??.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★