Login

russian armor

Occasional game freeze

13 Apr 2014, 12:25 PM

While playing the game, my game occasionally freezes. I can alt-tab and do anything else in the background while this occurs. I've done a re-install to no avail. No other game in my rig does this that's why I'm asking here if anyone else has experienced this.

While watching video casts, I notice that they experience the same thing but to a very small extent. They get the hiccup for 1-2 seconds while it takes 5-7 seconds for my game to recover. I doubt it's my internet connection because it even happens when I watch replays.

I thought maybe it was because my GPU was heating up or something. I used a 3rd party program to monitor my system temps and all temps from my CPU and GPU are are both under 55 degrees celsius.

I hope someone has a solution to my current predicament.

My rig:

Mobo: Asus P6T deluxe V2
CPU: Intel Core I7 920
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700Series with the latest drivers
Ram: 6GB
120GB SSD HD

Looking forward to your feed backs guys. Please share your knowledge. =)

14 Apr 2014, 00:22 AM

I guess drivers are up to date ? and what os you using
14 Apr 2014, 08:17 AM

Aye, I forgot about that.
Win8 64bit and yes, drivers are up to date directly from the website.
14 Apr 2014, 23:59 PM

The hiccup you said, does it do the following...

The pc/game looks frozen but after a few seconds everything acts like its catching up. So the units shoots, move faster and when the catching up is done, it continues at regular speed...

Are there any other applications running besides steam while playing the game.. and does the pc outside of the game acts frozen sometimes ?

I think its a bug, which the devs should fix. What I think is happening is that some rig setups might have bigger issues than others. Have you already checked if graphic settings affect hiccup time.
15 Apr 2014, 00:59 AM

Yes Nefer, that's exactly what happens when i'm playing online. If it was an internet thing, it'd be understandable but this happening when I watch replays even when in offline mode which means that something else is definitely wrong.

I tried the lowest of all settings and it doesn't do anything. physics off, anti-alias and V-sync off as well.
15 Apr 2014, 08:18 AM

I also experience this every now and then. I wonder if Relic are aware of it?

15 Apr 2014, 13:37 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I am not 100% sure but I think it's related with your connection with the battle server, when you lag your game freezes and then it runs faster than normal to get in line with other players.

I had the same feeling that using higher gfx details provided bigger frozen moments (that lasted more seconds basically) so I am really just guessing it's the internet connection (I updated both my gfx card and my internet line and I don't experience that issue anymore so I can't really say what's the issue :S )
15 Apr 2014, 13:47 PM

I am not 100% sure but I think it's related with your connection with the battle server, when you lag your game freezes and then it runs faster than normal to get in line with other players.

I had the same feeling that using higher gfx details provided bigger frozen moments (that lasted more seconds basically) so I am really just guessing it's the internet connection (I updated both my gfx card and my internet line and I don't experience that issue anymore so I can't really say what's the issue :S )

i dont think that's the chase i get the same freeze whit a short speedup when i play whit bots offline.
15 Apr 2014, 13:59 PM

Few times i got this problem too.
15 Apr 2014, 16:04 PM

Even when offline I still get those few second stutter and as stated before, I even get the stutter as I watch replays whether it be mine or one downloaded from here.

It wouldn't be an issue against compstomps but during a close fight in multiplayer games, it could mean the difference between losing a few men or getting a whole squad wiped by an onslaught of pioneers.
21 Apr 2014, 09:05 AM

I guess drivers are up to date ?
21 Apr 2014, 09:42 AM
Patrion 310

Yeah, I have also this freezing and stuttering. Drivers are all up to date, Win 7 64 Bit, Kingston Hyperbeast 32 Gb RAM, NVidia Titan Card, Intel 4930 running at 4.7 Ghz, Samsung Pro 840 SSD and Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Mobo and a Creative Soundblaster ZX soundcard. I think I don't have to speculate that my gear is the reason.
21 Apr 2014, 11:35 AM

heh , i noticed that too, but i always thought that the reason behind this is my old computer, looks i was wrong ^^

This newer happend to me before, i notice this since relic announced the anti cheat on battle servers, so maybe here is the reason, anti cheat tooking some screenshoots from game or something, and that couses the game lagg ?
22 Apr 2014, 12:52 PM

I have this too online and offline. I think i read something a while ago about this (from relic i think). It has something to do with the Workshop. If you have lots of custom maps it does cause problems. I am not 100% sure about that. Anyway, i think it startet with the "battle server patch".
I don't know, lets hope Relic will inform us!!!!!!!!!
27 Apr 2014, 11:21 AM

Sad to say, I still experience this even after the patch. And like I've mentioned before, I experience this even when offline so internet connection is not the cause unless COH2 is programmed to check connectivity even when just watching replays or doing compstomps when offline on steam.

Specs are listed on the first post, all drivers re-installed, even did a clean format to see if it made a difference but nothing has changed. If anyone has a performance tweak, suggestion or solution please do post it as it seems like I'm not the only one experiencing this.
26 May 2014, 16:05 PM

I have the same issue.. Game freezes for a few seconds and then it catches up very fast.
I loose units because of this sometimes.. Very annoying.

I also have significant frame drops every 2min. even on lowest settings.

My pc:

AMD fx-8350 4Ghz (no OC)
Radeon R9 270X
8GB Ram
2 Jun 2014, 07:28 AM

I also am experiencing this issue after they introduce the battle servers. I really think this is because the game is very CPU(GPU) intensive. It seems to happen to me more if I play teamgames when there are more units on the field and the computer have to work more. The battleserver then notices the stutter from your computer and it will speed up to the point where it has to be.

Try closing all programs in the background and set the graphics on the lowest quality and then try again.

ps. tactical map function gives me sometimes a small delay also
27 Jun 2014, 14:46 PM

I have this issue too. THe game uses quite a lot of files >12GB.
I wonder if its the issue some people get with MMO needing to page in data. I did some disk maintenance and its a lot less now.
12 Jul 2014, 22:55 PM

This happens to me, but only when the game is first loading. I always thought it was because of my outdated processor (a Phenom II). I'm updating my processor come near the end of the month and we'll see how it performs then.
19 Jul 2014, 23:55 PM

I also got those freezes it is such a pain. it started a few weeks ago. those freezes show up several times in a minute. The game is almost unplayable.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★