Login

russian armor

Does anyone know how to play soviets in this new patch?

13 Apr 2014, 00:42 AM

hi i'm having huge problems on dealing with german units in this patch. Because the soviet are to weak now and they die really fast so if you know any sort of way to best play against germans feel free to leave a reply :D
13 Apr 2014, 07:03 AM

I have been trying out a few strats (sniper start like Siberian, scout car/penal start like Cataclaw) and I have found the only thing that is reliable is the same old 4 conscript, molotovs, medic, mg/mortar, zis & shocks. The main difference is to stay at long range with scripts against pios and they can't touch you. Oh yeah, and mines and demos everywhere, and then replace them when they go off.

I find this build the only way to deal with the waves of pio/grens & pgrens that will swarm. Guards are too weak, have butterfingers and cost an extra 100 muni to be half-useful. I also don't know if it is just that I suck but I find at snipers max range grens can still pick them off. I know lots of people are frustrated and have switched to Germans but I'm sticking with it, it wasn't like I was winning more before the patch anyway, lol.
13 Apr 2014, 07:06 AM

your best bet is to go 4 conscripts and pick a doctrine with t-34/85s (armored assault,gaurd motor, or advanced warfare tactics)

What i usually do is 4 conscripts,then a maxim,then a mortar,then a zis gun. With advanced warfare i usually upgrade 2 concsripts with ppsh for good close range,however on a map like stalingrad i upgrade all my cons with ppsh
14 Apr 2014, 08:11 AM
Patrion 310

i like 2 cons, m3, penal, sniper now.
14 Apr 2014, 09:37 AM

I do best with T1 start for 2 penals, then 2 cons, followed by a guards squad. Before the guards are out, you can build ammo op because you need to upgrade penals and guards. Then you see how the match develops and either add a penal squad or a guards squad. Wait for t34/85 and save ammo for mark target.
14 Apr 2014, 10:26 AM

Maxim spam - guards - 120mm - zis - artillery - t34/85
14 Apr 2014, 12:02 PM
Patrion 310

lets post some replays or it didnt happen.
14 Apr 2014, 15:10 PM

Maxim spam has been pretty successful for me.

maxim maxim cons maxim ZiS medics shocks shocks - T4
14 Apr 2014, 15:58 PM

The closest I've gotten to a reliable strat is 4 Con - molotov - more cons. Get AT Nades when you see the first light vehicle. Then late game is all about commanders. Prioritize munitions over fuel early game. Munis mean molotovs, AT nades, ppshs, oorahs, mines. Fuel means jack shit until 9 cp anyway. Usually I'll go Advanced Warfare against P4s, and shock rifle against everything else. After your first or second call-in tank get a t3/t4 building for long term sustainability.

If you're really losing the fuel game or the CP game then get T2 for AT guns.

During combat remember oorah is your best friend this patch. Sprint cons up to grens to actually do damage, or run away from g43 squads. Spam molotovs in almost every conflict.
14 Apr 2014, 16:03 PM

con,con,con, molo, con Still works really well in my opinion. T2 maxim,mortar at gun and shocks. Also I usually go for an is2 instead of a t34.
14 Apr 2014, 18:10 PM

While playing with soviets I found out that a single unit of "anything" does not perform to well. To achieve the maximum efficiency we should double or even tripple same unit. Note that snipers mostly appear in two pairs, two T34-85, two ZiS and so on...
Since conscripts are in big disadvantage it is not a great idea to blob them at such a large scale. I would rather go for instant T2 units only, and I would build one or two conscript squads to reinforce team weapons. IMO, tripple maxim is a better way to go if microed properly. Flanking is nearly impossible. Maxims cover up each other, suppress and pin at tripple rate; they can successfully cap and defend; vet 1 sprint ability is very useful again to prevent high damage from mortars by rapidly changing the position.
Usually, Germans are bated into armored cars and half trucks but by the time they hit the field, you should have 4-5 mines down and one or two ZiS behind a wall of maxims.
I also noticed that rifle grenades aren't a huge threat as long as you keep the squad in green cover ( houses don't count).
Also, tripple maxim opening benefits from partisan tactics when you can spam AT partisans behind enemies back, this way increasing your AT capabilities.
Please dont take it as a "must do". This is just another opinion based on extensive experimenting.
14 Apr 2014, 18:34 PM
Donator 11

With the extreme lethatlity of things i would give sov. irregulars a new try.
Ok, doctrine specific but they are cheap and can deal alot damage. They get nades, at-nades (at vet1 i think) and come with either lmg or that guard lmg. So basically spam them all over urban maps and give the germans some of their own medicine. Well ok,the downside is they can die real quickly...

Support them with cons (for the other ability of that doctrine) and maxims or use them as a quick replacement for lost squads.

I think its pretty interesting to play, because of the high damage output of a few lmg irregs. :)
15 Apr 2014, 04:19 AM

I find the early game to be a lot more difficult, but if you hold out you can usually come out on top with sovs late game. I got a ton of replays I could post.. But.. My advice is to look for something you are comfortable with. If what you're doing isn't working, you should probably change 1 thing at a time (per new game). Keep most of what you normally use in there. If you take someone else's strategy you aren't going to execute it with the same tactics they would have done. You could spend many games learning to do similar tactics; but, I think it's more enjoyable to come up with your own gaming style.

That being said, trying out a completely new build is always useful.
15 Apr 2014, 15:36 PM

I have been trying out a few strats (sniper start like Siberian, scout car/penal start like Cataclaw) and I have found the only thing that is reliable is the same old 4 conscript, molotovs, medic, mg/mortar, zis & shocks. The main difference is to stay at long range with scripts against pios and they can't touch you. Oh yeah, and mines and demos everywhere, and then replace them when they go off.

I find this build the only way to deal with the waves of pio/grens & pgrens that will swarm. Guards are too weak, have butterfingers and cost an extra 100 muni to be half-useful. I also don't know if it is just that I suck but I find at snipers max range grens can still pick them off. I know lots of people are frustrated and have switched to Germans but I'm sticking with it, it wasn't like I was winning more before the patch anyway, lol.
15 Apr 2014, 15:38 PM

ok thanks, well now i'm just getting 4 conscript but instead of molotov i go for the field hospital upgrade. It's very good and it prevents my units from dying early.
16 Apr 2014, 10:47 AM

Do you need a abusive strat to kill every german unit????

Here comes my tactic:

T2-> con maxim maxim con mortar (maybe shock) zis zis zis -> after you gained 9cps get 2 kv8's out GG.
16 Apr 2014, 18:06 PM

Do you need a abusive strat to kill every german unit????

Here comes my tactic:

T2-> con maxim maxim con mortar (maybe shock) zis zis zis -> after you gained 9cps get 2 kv8's out GG.

I never understand the need for multiple kv8s, the kv8 is2 combination is so powerful--why not just wait for couple cps?
18 Apr 2014, 00:48 AM

Because 2 kv8 is insane, u negate their slow movement by locking down both sides of map, then when u go to their base bye bye buildings. But yeah IS2 is also a nice safe option.

The double kv8 would however allow u to go terror doc for an earlier propaganda arty and later IL2 bombs, although really hard to save munis for!

Personally I'm loving maxim play to hold back strong German inf. But it requires v good combined arms.

22 Apr 2014, 04:51 AM

Get 4 120mm mortars. Don't need infantry, just get these. Barrage all enemy infantry. Transition into 4 Katyushas. Barraged everything. Sit back with Su-85s and maxims, and you're set.

Easy mode soviets need buffs.
22 Apr 2014, 04:57 AM

you need both tier one and 2 thats How Im managing to do decent and stay in top 100
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★