Login

russian armor

Cheating in Company of Heroes 2 (news from Relic)

PAGES (10)down
12 Apr 2014, 09:45 AM

the stat reset was the best call, look at their stats that have -100 losses there's no way they will get back and have a decent %. in a way we took our their motivation to play on their -100 streaks and they will leave the game most likely or smurf.
raw
12 Apr 2014, 09:52 AM

Erghhh I hope it does detect autohotkey scripts. I use it for my stream and need it to resize my game in windowed mode.

I remember when I used to play BF3 and I accidently left my script running, I would be kicked for third part program cheating.

That is a pretty retarded rule, considering AHK isn't a hack and many keyboard and even mouses today can record macros as well. Plus, it's trivial to write your own "macro" program.
12 Apr 2014, 10:01 AM

Permanently Banned
in the term of accept....something ,there is if you cheat your accounts will be suspended. But they still got statreset? :S Come on Relic, give us the list, and ban them. You even get more money if they rebuy the game.
12 Apr 2014, 10:07 AM

Ban for trolling. Stats reset for cheating. GG WP.
12 Apr 2014, 10:18 AM

Permanently Banned
and everyone loses their mind
12 Apr 2014, 10:19 AM

Cheaters should be banned, but at least they are doing something about them.
12 Apr 2014, 10:20 AM

People need to take a chill pill.

This isn't some free 2 play trash game like PlanetSide 2 where a ban is the best option for any infraction.

People have paid for this game, including the cheaters. A stats reset for first offense is fine, provided it is done as the warning not after a warning.

Also, someone said 15 is low so it's pretty good. Keep in mind it's 15 that they've caught, so far, I have no doubt there's more that have slipped under the radar, as always is the case with cheating.

The current situation is fine. I'm sure they'll ramp up the punishments appropriately.
12 Apr 2014, 10:35 AM
Patrion 14

This isn't some free 2 play trash game like PlanetSide 2 where a ban is the best option for any infraction.

People have paid for this game, including the cheaters. A stats reset for first offense is fine, provided it is done as the warning not after a warning.

Also, someone said 15 is low so it's pretty good. Keep in mind it's 15 that they've caught, so far, I have no doubt there's more that have slipped under the radar, as always is the case with cheating.

The current situation is fine. I'm sure they'll ramp up the punishments appropriately.

+1
12 Apr 2014, 10:59 AM
Donator 11

Thats the dumbest thing i heard. If you paid for the service that doesnt give you the right to do whatever you want and ruin the experience for others.
12 Apr 2014, 11:28 AM

Permanently Banned

Oh you killed 20 men while robbing a bank? No problem.... we forgive you.
12 Apr 2014, 12:03 PM

Thats the dumbest thing i heard. If you paid for the service that doesnt give you the right to do whatever you want and ruin the experience for others.

OK, so what do you want? You want people to stop cheating. Correct?

So let's say I've been cheating since release. I get my stats wiped and I'm told if I do it again I get banned. One of three things will happen.

• I'm like "Oh fuck, better not cheat again" - Desired result achieved. I no longer cheat. Isn't that what you wanted?
  • I'm like "Fuck, without these stats I'm not bothered playing anymore" - Desired result achieved. I'm not playing so I'm not cheating. Isn't that what you wanted?
  • Or I keep cheating and I get banned a few games later - Desired result achieved. I'm banned so I can no longer cheat. Isn't that what you wanted?

So, you're telling me that a system that will always work eventually is bad because it's not a zero-tolerance rule which instantly bans everybody? Sounds bloodthirsty and short sighted.
12 Apr 2014, 12:17 PM

Permanently Banned

OK, so what do you want? You want people to stop cheating. Correct?

So let's say I've been cheating since release. I get my stats wiped and I'm told if I do it again I get banned. One of three things will happen.

• I'm like "Oh fuck, better not cheat again" - Desired result achieved. I no longer cheat. Isn't that what you wanted?
  • I'm like "Fuck, without these stats I'm not bothered playing anymore" - Desired result achieved. I'm not playing so I'm not cheating. Isn't that what you wanted?
  • Or I keep cheating and I get banned a few games later - Desired result achieved. I'm banned so I can no longer cheat. Isn't that what you wanted?

So, you're telling me that a system that will always work eventually is bad because it's not a zero-tolerance rule which instantly bans everybody? Sounds bloodthirsty and short sighted.

You can now stop talking because you already deserved a fame in this forum.

Seriusly, are you alone that really stupid, or someone holds your hand?
Who ruins others experience with using maphack ,instant deserves a permanent ban. VonIvan was banned for stalkin Hans, so what you expect for cheaters?

12 Apr 2014, 12:20 PM
Benefactor 115

Don' Pinky and the brain play in the ESL cup?
no, they dont
12 Apr 2014, 12:22 PM
Coder Red Badge

Honestly, I think this punishment is fine for a first offense, even for maphacking. I thought it was a little light at first, but it makes sense now. If Relic is confident in their ability to detect maphacking, they know they're going to detect these players hacking again if they try again. Then they ban them.

I don't really care about these players being able to play the game. But they should be banned for life from every CoH2 tournament, no exceptions. Nobody with a history of cheating should be allowed to play competitively.
12 Apr 2014, 12:24 PM

Honestly, yes. Zero-tolerance in regards to unfair competition and cheating applies to many competitive institutions, not just in gaming but IRL too. Valve have set the standard, caught cheating on a VAC secured server and you are banned from playing on all VAC servers, however that individual can still play with bots, custom games, private games with friends, non-VAC secured servers, so they haven't lost total ownership of their account.

Even Blizzard, who have a 3 point strike system for WoW, will outright ban your account if you are caught using unfair 3rd party software. They will give warnings only when it has been suspected that the account was using 3rd party software. So perhaps that was the case here, Relic only reset the stats of these accounts because it was suspicion and not a 100% positive map hack detection.

But when it comes down to it, if you are caught cheating without any doubt, zero-tolerance should be applied. Individuals caught can simply purchase another copy if they want to play auto-match, simple.
12 Apr 2014, 12:25 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2014, 12:22 PMInverse
Nobody with a history of cheating should be allowed to play competitively.

If it's offline and not on their PC I don't see why not.
12 Apr 2014, 12:28 PM

They should've been banned but whats done is done and they aren't going to go back and ban someone after they already told them they were being punished differently (unless they continue cheating ofc). Its not the end of the world, Noun implied this everyones first and last warning so any future cheating will probably be immediate ban. Plus the people that got wins reset (not stats reset) will have a tarnished reputation forever, shitty stats for a very long time, or they will have to buy the game again on another account. For people that take stats so seriously that they cheat and now they have lots of losses and zero wins, this almost is a ban. They should definitely release the other names though.
12 Apr 2014, 12:32 PM
Coder Red Badge

Because A) I will be amazed if there's ever an offline CoH2 tournament, and B) they've already betrayed the community's trust. It's not about preventing cheating, it's about preventing scumbags from competing. I can't think of a single situation were I would want a confirmed cheater playing in a tournament I organized.
12 Apr 2014, 12:39 PM

They will give warnings only when it has been suspected that the account was using 3rd party software. So perhaps that was the case here, Relic only reset the stats of these accounts because it was suspicion and not a 100% positive map hack detection.

But when it comes down to it, if you are caught cheating without any doubt, zero-tolerance should be applied. Individuals caught can simply purchase another copy if they want to play auto-match, simple.

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2014, 18:44 PMNoun
a) it was map hacking
b) this was a first action since we hadn't done much for hacking since the CoH2 launch - stats resets won't be the only tool we use going forward

That should answer it.
12 Apr 2014, 12:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2014, 11:28 AMakosi

Oh you killed 20 men while robbing a bank? No problem.... we forgive you.

You can't compare murdering people to cheating in a videogame.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment