Login

russian armor

New Soviet Army

9 Apr 2014, 16:21 PM

When the patch first came out I was furious. It seemed to me that germans had all the advantages - I even played as german for a while. But then I started testing out this particular strategy. Mind you, tactically you'll have alot of disadvatages and lose quite abit of territory until your army begins to round out.

Commanders to use:
Armored assault, Shock Frontline, Advanced Warfare (2v2 only)

Final build order (construct only T2 and T4):
4 cons or 3 cons and 1 mortar (for City 17 and Angermunde only)
2 Zis
2 Katyusha
1 IS2 or 2 T34/85s

I have found a pretty good fighting system. And Oddly enough I've found that at the end of the game nearly all the top "award" slots under the personal tab are held by conscripts. This is for all types of team games (2v2, 3v3, 4v4)

Here goes.
Build 3-4 conscripts depending on map. If map has alot of "tall buildings" that do not take damage from molotov get 1 mortar and 3 cons. Otherwise get 4 cons.

You MUST be very handy with kiting tactics/use of cover and ESPECIALLY use of molotov. Build ONLY munitions caches - sometimes your allies foolishly build fuel so try to beat them to it.

You will lose many of the first engagements. Just try to maintain a respectable position, keep luring his units back and then drop molotovs on them What happens next, 98% of the time, is germans will seal their fate and build 2 to 3 bunkers to lock down what they think will be an easy win.

At this point you build 2 Zis guns. Hammer their bunkers with direct Zis fire (don't forget to use attack ground if you can't see it. If any infantry show up bombard with light arty barrage. If you can't push them back to "middle of map" type ground then try this tactic a few times vs AI till you get a hang of it.

Build T4 and get 2x Katyusha. With these you will decimate all his infantry. Once his infantry is dead (so much for OP G43 blobs and PG blobs), you will be able to take more than 50% of your area of the map. Play defensively with IS2 (preferred over T34/85) or T34/85 pair. Regularly use the concentrated barrage to take out enemy caches if possible.

The key to this build is the use of conscripts.

Your "push units" are the katyushas/Zis guns. Conscripts are merely there to stave off direct infantry attacks and throw AT grenades. Heavy tanks/conscript are primarily defensive units.

Key points:
YOU MUST have TONS of munitions for this build (on the flip side you need very little fuel). You need to be constantly using light artillery barrage/concentrated barrage/molotovs/AT nades and especially incendiary artillery call-ins and IL-2 call-ins.

The purpose of this strategy over all is to amplify the anti-infantry killing abilities of the soviets. Whatever heavy tanks the germans deploy mwon't be too difficult to mop up. If you are using this strategy correctly he simply will not have any type of grenadier alive in the mid-late game. Your cons will be able to flank and AT nade any heavies while your katyushas will make short work of any Paks/mortars/MG 42/bunkers/P-werfers.

Lastly of all the units in this build, the two Zis guns are the most important. They will destroy bunkers, easily counter any type of early german infantry with light artillery barrage. Stave of tanks/ostwind. Be sure to use the merge ability regularly - Its the only effective way to reinforce Zis guns without being able to build and M5.

Good luck.

10 Apr 2014, 07:21 AM

Sounds interesting, but also potentially difficult to pull off. At least until some of the tactics you mention are practised well.

I have been experimenting with T2 T4 as well. Mostly as a way of reaching KV8, SU85s and Katushkas, which is a very strong late game combo for sov. Works well with industry actually
11 Apr 2014, 14:26 PM
Patrion 310

i doubt it would work in 1v1, right?cons are just bad...and stalling with cons wont work therefore.
11 Apr 2014, 15:15 PM

i doubt it would work in 1v1, right?cons are just bad...and stalling with cons wont work therefore.

Some higher lvl players spam conscripts vs grens (5-6 or more) with quite good success. However all of the past 3 or so patches have been about spamming something in one way or another so I'm not really interested in that.

I guess success with conscripts comes down to a) getting molotov hits during the early game or b) engaging only when you have at least 2 cons vs 1 grens or 3 vs 2 etc. In other situations just cap around and engage when it's clearly in your favor.
11 Apr 2014, 16:34 PM
Patrion 310

got some replays?
12 Apr 2014, 13:23 PM

I don't see combat arms strategy with this build.
Infantry can easily overwhelm 2 ZiS, light barrage will not do anything at all because Germans are on the move.
Pgrens decrew weapons in the matter of seconds, and cons with their lousy molotovs that require super long animation will not protect ZiS3.

I suggest maxim spam - 3 maxims, 1 cons, 2 ZiS

14 Apr 2014, 23:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2014, 13:23 PMtokarev
I don't see combat arms strategy with this build.

I suggest maxim spam - 3 maxims, 1 cons, 2 ZiS

If he has a commander with the mortar halftrack you are in big trouble with this :( Also the rifle grenade even on it's own is a good counter to maxims.

Unfortunately I don't have any decent replays, don't bother playing much 1v1s currently. And my replays wouldn't be worth posting anyways for anyone to learn from them :D
18 Apr 2014, 00:37 AM

I do Agree with the maxim build and advice to compliment with a fast T34, if he goes for MHT, your ahead on fuel and can basically rush his HT with T34 being cautious of pak. Then grab an M5 to assist your weapon crews.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★