Login

russian armor

US vs. PE. 3 Sniper to Mass Airborne Strategy

8 Apr 2014, 00:55 AM

Just had a relatively interesting game against an American player. It was on Semois, and he blocked all roadways into his base via tank traps. I knew from that point something was fishy but I had no idea what it could have been... Anyways he left me with map control for the better half of the game. For a good time of the game he had 3 snipers that would destroy any panzer group I had ordered across the tank traps. Up until this point I figured tanks of some kind so I invested in marders, but upon seeing he had a single airborne I immediately tech'd for a panzerIV. By the time I was able to get one out he was in my base, sniped all of my defenses, and was demolishing my base easily with the upgraded airborne. Keep in mind I had a mortar half track (they moved too fast to hit), attempted to get out an armored car (got owned hard by those airborne), and finally even my panzer IV was really struggling taking them down, which by the time I got him out they had an AT gun there anyway.

This seems like a fairly cheesy all in strategy (something any self-respecting strategist would vomit at the thought of), which I was under the impression CoH was devoid of. Clearly I was wrong, and scum exist in any game. But my question is: how do you prevent this from happening? I have gone through every unit in the PE roster and all of them seem to be helpless against this. The only thing I could think of would be an anti-tank halftrack's Focus Fire ability, but it would quickly get chopped up by the airborne.
8 Apr 2014, 02:14 AM

If he builds tank trap all over the place you can be sure sniper spam is coming. To counter this as PE get Scout Car and ISS, choose arty doc, lay mines and bobby traps all over the map (you have better map control early game so use it to your advantage), try to flank those sniper with mp44 PzGrens. Get Pz4, Panthers, Hummel etc and push him back with overwhelming power.

Or you can choose Luff doc and use the camo ketten to spot those snipers, and ambush with FG-42 Falls hidden in cover

Be aware of early base rush with airborne, he'll try to demo then steal your base's flak, don't let that happen.
8 Apr 2014, 14:25 PM

Just to let you know that the bergetiger has heavy crush.

I don't recommand to build a PIV as it's long to get and you can't punish your opponent right away.
I don't recommand to get a T1 as it's risky -the scout car is really limited in time to be effective - and T1 tech is pretty useless in 1v1.

YOu should be aware of the cheese really early in the game. The ketten can easily spot that a cap has been delayed or that a whole eng squad is missing or that the us went T2 first. If you suspect your opponent of doing something, don't cap that extra point you're about to cap and scout his base with the ketten, you should know his tech before hitting the 5 minutes in the game.
At that time, cancel your 3rd pg squad and get your second and maybe your 3rd one, go luft doc and focus on fuel capping and deny.
When you hit the fuel for T2, get it right away, and get the T3, then the AC. Doing that, you'll give the us some breath, so he might have recap his fuel or more. You don't care, the AC will take those back. Get a second AC.

Keep one ketten cloaked near the us base so you exactly know where he sends his troops and what he's teching too. Spotting the squads will allow your ACs to know where to hit and if both are needed or just 1.

Right now you're far ahead, you should have the 3 vps

Get T4, get the bergetiger, bergetiger has heavy crush. Go crush the tank traps or the hedgerow (Langres), you're in his base with 2 acs and a bergetiger, you win here if he hasn't dropped before.
8 Apr 2014, 16:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Apr 2014, 14:25 PMPepsi
Just to let you know that the bergetiger has heavy crush.

I don't recommand to build a PIV as it's long to get and you can't punish your opponent right away.
I don't recommand to get a T1 as it's risky -the scout car is really limited in time to be effective - and T1 tech is pretty useless in 1v1.

YOu should be aware of the cheese really early in the game. The ketten can easily spot that a cap has been delayed or that a whole eng squad is missing or that the us went T2 first. If you suspect your opponent of doing something, don't cap that extra point you're about to cap and scout his base with the ketten, you should know his tech before hitting the 5 minutes in the game.
At that time, cancel your 3rd pg squad and get your second and maybe your 3rd one, go luft doc and focus on fuel capping and deny.
When you hit the fuel for T2, get it right away, and get the T3, then the AC. Doing that, you'll give the us some breath, so he might have recap his fuel or more. You don't care, the AC will take those back. Get a second AC.

Keep one ketten cloaked near the us base so you exactly know where he sends his troops and what he's teching too. Spotting the squads will allow your ACs to know where to hit and if both are needed or just 1.

Right now you're far ahead, you should have the 3 vps

Get T4, get the bergetiger, bergetiger has heavy crush. Go crush the tank traps or the hedgerow (Langres), you're in his base with 2 acs and a bergetiger, you win here if he hasn't dropped before.

Thanks guys, both are good ideas. I just want to stress that he literally did not move outside of his base until he had about 3 airborne squads. I had full map control and he owned the 2 munition points and that one fuel point on the southern part of Semois. I wonder if I could have even gotten a bergetiger out and to his base by the time he had his force ready. Either way this sounds like a map specific all-in, guess I'll just have to avoid Semois.
8 Apr 2014, 19:48 PM

I'm not telling you a vague idea of build, I'm sharing the hard counter of a cheesy BO.

What force are you talking about ? Because 3 snipers aren't scary at all when you have 3 ketten and 2 acs.
ABs? for what ? as you say, he should have no munitions to upgrade to RRs.

Well, Semois is a tricky map. If you hold your fuel and 1 ammo on Semois, you still almost in the game at some levels.

And if you really have all the map, get it faster by spotting what he is doing and getting more ketten to have better and faster ammo/fuel income. Then you can even use 2ATHTs with focus fire to keep him out of the field.
9 Apr 2014, 08:59 AM

Thanks guys, both are good ideas. I just want to stress that he literally did not move outside of his base until he had about 3 airborne squads. I had full map control and he owned the 2 munition points and that one fuel point on the southern part of Semois. I wonder if I could have even gotten a bergetiger out and to his base by the time he had his force ready. Either way this sounds like a map specific all-in, guess I'll just have to avoid Semois.

Got a replay?
9 Apr 2014, 16:20 PM
Coder Red Badge

I feel like AC spam with Kettens and MP44s would shit on this pretty hard. Run in with the ACs and focus the snipers, then run in with MP44s when they retreat, using Kettens to cap the map (because a sniper spam start isn't going to have capping power). ACs are less manpower than snipers, so even if you lose an AC for every sniper you kill it's worth it because you should have most of the fuel. I'm not a PE player though so I don't know the timings.

I can see this working against PG spam into halftracks and against a player who doesn't react to it properly, but it's a big risk.
17 Apr 2014, 05:56 AM

honestly now that i've got into playing voch again recently against all the asian super micro players who won't quit

i really think they need a 'disable playing against OF factions' for US WEHR and 'disable playing against VCOH factions' for PE and CW

because the cheese that's involved in the cross-expansion combat is just too much, it's like a cheese factory
17 Apr 2014, 06:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 05:56 AMbuckers
honestly now that i've got into playing voch again recently against all the asian super micro players who won't quit

i really think they need a 'disable playing against OF factions' for US WEHR and 'disable playing against VCOH factions' for PE and CW

because the cheese that's involved in the cross-expansion combat is just too much, it's like a cheese factory

and now you even whine people micro better than you, perfect :clap:
17 Apr 2014, 14:17 PM
Coder Red Badge

I enjoy playing US vs. PE and Wehr vs. Brits. They're really hard matchups for the OF factions, but I enjoy them.
18 Apr 2014, 09:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 06:45 AMPorygon

and now you even whine people micro better than you, perfect :clap:

do you need to comment on everything? jesus christ

i didn't say it was hard or i was losing, or even complaining that a faction (vcoh OR OF) is too OP

it's just pretty damn clear to me that it gets pretty cheesy, is all i'm saying, and i prefer the original vcoh and OF matchups, so yeah, talk smack about me for not liking something that you don't like
fucking baby
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS