Login

russian armor

Balance forum with rank prequisite

8 Apr 2014, 10:27 AM

[...] and sifting through the posts from all the IIBovineSSDivision types is getting thoroughly tiresome.

For this grave insolence I officially declare thy an enemy of RtN and cows. You cannot run, you cannot hide. Wherever you go, there will be cows watching you. Whatever game you play, a RtN member will streamsnipe you until you apologize for your behavior.

Now more seriously. This game is not only played by top 10/20/50/200 1v1 players, but also has a major amount of people playing 3v3, 4v4 or compstomps. The balance that top 1v1 players seek is probably not the one casual 4v4 players seek. That this often conflicts can be seen in the forums or if you simply ask people. An IS-2 is an issue in a 1v1 and most players would say it overperforms (due to instant squadwipes, heavy armor), similar for the KV-8. If you ask a 4v4 player about the IS-2 most will say it comes out far too late and is too weak (once again, similar for the KV-8). So unless you have different values for different gametypes you will rarely achieve a balance that's good in 1v1 as well as 4v4. In a similar way there is the difference between casual and competitive. Most casual players play CoH2 because it's visually appealing. Their micro and attentiveness is not as high as for a competitive player which often causes a differing opinion on units. Prime example for this is the T34. Used frontally against a PIV it will work only mediocre, yet if you manage to get a good flank and can attack it's rear it can compete against a ~1/3 more expensive unit.

I think the majority of the people posting in these balance threads tend to only think about themselves. That's no problem as long as all types of players are represented and can argue for their way. Yet confining it to only the "top 200" or such would break this. As much as the "top x" 1v1 players think of themselves as the glorious best part of CoH2, a lot of them lack a deeper understanding of the mechanics and even more important the understanding that they are just one part of the community.
8 Apr 2014, 13:26 PM

For this grave insolence I officially declare thy an enemy of RtN and cows. You cannot run, you cannot hide. Wherever you go, there will be cows watching you. Whatever game you play, a RtN member will streamsnipe you until you apologize for your behavior.

Now more seriously. This game is not only played by top 10/20/50/200 1v1 players, but also has a major amount of people playing 3v3, 4v4 or compstomps. The balance that top 1v1 players seek is probably not the one casual 4v4 players seek. That this often conflicts can be seen in the forums or if you simply ask people. An IS-2 is an issue in a 1v1 and most players would say it overperforms (due to instant squadwipes, heavy armor), similar for the KV-8. If you ask a 4v4 player about the IS-2 most will say it comes out far too late and is too weak (once again, similar for the KV-8). So unless you have different values for different gametypes you will rarely achieve a balance that's good in 1v1 as well as 4v4. In a similar way there is the difference between casual and competitive. Most casual players play CoH2 because it's visually appealing. Their micro and attentiveness is not as high as for a competitive player which often causes a differing opinion on units. Prime example for this is the T34. Used frontally against a PIV it will work only mediocre, yet if you manage to get a good flank and can attack it's rear it can compete against a ~1/3 more expensive unit.

I think the majority of the people posting in these balance threads tend to only think about themselves. That's no problem as long as all types of players are represented and can argue for their way. Yet confining it to only the "top 200" or such would break this. As much as the "top x" 1v1 players think of themselves as the glorious best part of CoH2, a lot of them lack a deeper understanding of the mechanics and even more important the understanding that they are just one part of the community.

+1
8 Apr 2014, 16:23 PM

There are some retards in the top 200 but at least it would filter out all the retards that are terrible at the game. Relic does take some feedback from forums but they have already shown they aren't interested in exclusive high level feedback like they successfully did in the past so a forum like this would be pointless.
8 Apr 2014, 18:03 PM

Milka - I don't play 4v4 much anymore but the few I've done recently has shown it really is significantly different with this patch.

I have seen some Soviet teams make super great use of combined commanders, and Soviet Industry is particularly powerful in 4v4. The Pgren nerf also helps, as usually you see those blobs of shrekked pgrens running cover for the Panther spam and now they are a lot more vulnerable.

It's unfortunate they can't modify things for the different game modes. I am a fan of 4v4, the good teams are talented in a way that is significantly different from 1v1 or 2v2 players, in that they really have insane coordination, great mutual support, and commander strategies that can be highly effective even in the face of game imbalances.

But we have to balance from top-down, it should trickle down, right? :)

8 Apr 2014, 21:16 PM

As Groucho Marx said, I would not join any club that would have me as a member. In any case, I'm not a top tier player and would not expect an invite.

Just irritated and fed up with the crapola. I'd rather just read good posts from smart players and sifting through the posts from all the IIBovineSSDivision types is getting thoroughly tiresome. I do read the community forums on occasion and a lot of the same garbage posters are now here as well, that's all.

you are a foolish soviet whinegirl. that is all.
9 Apr 2014, 00:56 AM

9 Apr 2014, 01:02 AM

9 Apr 2014, 01:53 AM

You're right, the idea is snobbish.

Frankly, there would be no point. These forums aren't jam packed with people. It's the same names over and over and only gets fewer with time. Nobody should have trouble drowning out white noise.

It's also demonstrable that Relic DGAF about feedback in terms of important design decisions, so creating a forum to discuss that, which, on top of the other reasons, would be entirely pointless as a concept.

tl;dr It's a needless suggestion born out of being too lazy to use the ignore function.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★