Login

russian armor

Clarification regarding blackness in unplayable area

7 Apr 2014, 14:04 PM

Hi everyone, I know this has been brought up more then once and I might have been up waaaay to long. But I'm going absolutely crazy watching the same videos and reading the same posts over and over again.

Basically the blackness or nothingness of the "Unplayable area" makes no sense to me. Since I can't use it OR see it I've used the Interactivity stage-tool instead and made the entirety of the map in what Uncle Sam would call Playable and Core area. A short-term solution that did what I wanted it to do. (I'll just stamp it all and open new map when I know how to fix it properly.)

Now my map is starting to take form and it's time to fix this.. So please, someone, just tell me what the hell I'm supposed to do?!

(Also, when trying to make ramps, my spline does not fuse with the other terrain but goes on top of it instead. Any suggestions to why?)
7 Apr 2014, 19:11 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Hi everyone, I know this has been brought up more then once and I might have been up waaaay to long. But I'm going absolutely crazy watching the same videos and reading the same posts over and over again.

Basically the blackness or nothingness of the "Unplayable area" makes no sense to me. Since I can't use it OR see it I've used the Interactivity stage-tool instead and made the entirety of the map in what Uncle Sam would call Playable and Core area. A short-term solution that did what I wanted it to do. (I'll just stamp it all and open new map when I know how to fix it properly.)

Now my map is starting to take form and it's time to fix this.. So please, someone, just tell me what the hell I'm supposed to do?!

The aim of the Interactivity area is to ensure that there is a border of unplayable area around your map. This will improve its appearance, and should also be the place that you have your Map_entry points, so that units arrive "off-map" and move into the game.

Paint an area between 30 and 60 metres wide around your entire map, in Interactivity 1 (0 will remove it). Any units in this area will be unable to kill, and unable to be harmed.

(Also, when trying to make ramps, my spline does not fuse with the other terrain but goes on top of it instead. Any suggestions to why?)

As for your Deform Splines, they will always appear "above" the terrain, as they are not technically terrain until you bake them. The aim is to move them into the best position possible (without too large a gap or too many spikes of terrain), bake it, and then smooth everything to blend it in.
8 Apr 2014, 12:14 PM

The aim of the Interactivity area is to ensure that there is a border of unplayable area around your map. This will improve its appearance, and should also be the place that you have your Map_entry points, so that units arrive "off-map" and move into the game.

Paint an area between 30 and 60 metres wide around your entire map, in Interactivity 1 (0 will remove it). Any units in this area will be unable to kill, and unable to be harmed.

Yes I get that. But I just didn't understand why Sam would recommend such a huge map when it's not going to be used anyway. Why bother in making the unplayable area so big? In Coh1 world builder the unplayable area was at least always visible, so it had a point. I just get the feeling that I'm missing something..

As for your Deform Splines, they will always appear "above" the terrain, as they are not technically terrain until you bake them. The aim is to move them into the best position possible (without too large a gap or too many spikes of terrain), bake it, and then smooth everything to blend it in.

I have no idea what "bake" does to a spline. But I guess you just explained it! Anyway, from Sams tutorial (Third one about splines) you can clearly see how his ramp melts with the other terrain. Maybe cause he made that plateu using splines as well?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★