Login

russian armor

Patch added so much tactical depth... really? Not ironic

7 Apr 2014, 13:36 PM

I am just asking because i hear this all the time but what i really see since the Patch is:

Germans: Pio spam to SC or Gren spam to SC. 90% of the time

Soviets: Penal spam and sniper spam (T1) and maxim spam. 90% of the time

Is this more tactical depth? In my eyes it is not.
Before the patch you could not tell what would be the BO of the factions.

Caution: I am not saying that the patch was bad. i am only saying that there is something (Balance and someting else) really wrong with the implementation or something.
7 Apr 2014, 13:48 PM

BO is strategy. Micro and positioning is tactical. They screwed the strategic depth to improve the tactical depth.
7 Apr 2014, 14:06 PM

It obviously added a lot of tactical depth. The problem, in my oppinion, is that the game was designed for the simplified firefights where cower didnt really matter all that much. Kind of makes one wonder why they didnt simply expand on the formula of the original, rather than trying to reinvent the infantry combat and poorly so.
7 Apr 2014, 14:12 PM
Honorary Member Badge

BO is strategy. Micro and positioning is tactical. They screwed the strategic depth to improve the tactical depth.

i think this result is because the balance is off not so much that the patch intentionally lowered depth :).
7 Apr 2014, 14:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Apr 2014, 14:12 PMWiFiDi

i think this result is because the balance is off not so much that the patch intentionally lowered depth :).

Yep. Just making the distinction.
7 Apr 2014, 15:02 PM

It's funny how the more they try to make the game interesting, the more they turn it into a noob RTS. You can't fight the underlying resource and popcap system.

As a former player (Dave I think) said once: COH2 - for noobs, by noobs.
7 Apr 2014, 15:20 PM

Prior to the patch, I think the BO and tactics were more stale especially with the Soviets. Most were just Conscript starts. Since the patch, I've seen a lot more variety with them. These include T1 and T2 starts along with a sprinkling of Cons.

I also see some variety in German starts but not as much, people tend to play it safer here although I have seen the German snipers more often. Considering we are getting Pio starts, AG starts, and Gren starts, isn't that varied? There really aren't many other options a Deutsch player has, no? We don't *want* HMG starts right? Plus regardless if the aforementioned starts, I see at least one HMG used and sometimes Mortars. Again isn't this varied?

My observations are for 1v1 and 2v2 and based not just on my experiences but in watching mTw streams, Dane, jesulin, Sage, JaminROCK, etc.

There is no question in my mind the game is more tactical now. People who don't use them get punished, as they should.

Still room for improvement but this patch seemed a big step forward. In addition all recent interviews with Relic have them stating the game will continue to be heavily supported, both Eastern Front and Western Armies. Their support to date is superior to their effort in vCoH.
7 Apr 2014, 15:22 PM

The capping and resource system wouldn't change back to vCOH style IMO, but I think the popcap should varies to the number of strat point the player hold, making it less possible that one player dominating map control but got owned by a super call in armour, that's totally bullshit, I would say.
7 Apr 2014, 19:07 PM

The biggest problem with this game is and always has been that they scrapped the Doctrine system in favour of Commanders.

The changes with the popcap have pros and cons. It means the winning player can't ball out of control and that the losing player can comeback. Depending on your views, that can be bad and good.

I think the latest patch has been a huge improvement to the game as a whole, regardless of all the complaining. Relic games have always been about tactical depth and this patch helped a lot of with that. It's no longer a "I MUST GET AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THE ENEMY!" fest, positioning and being ready for your opponents in advance is a much more important thing now and certain builds are more viable because of it.

The problem with Relic is, as per usual, that they fucked with too many things at the same time. No such thing as baby steps to them, didn't even come into their heads that they shouldn't screw with the balance at the same time they're screwing with the mechanics.
8 Apr 2014, 04:47 AM

You can't fight the underlying resource and popcap system.

I keep on thinking about that, too. There are times where you basically have the upperhand, but do not have the force to rush his base. All he does is wait and call in some more units, there is no real punishment. Comebacks are nothing special anymore... the resource and popcap system make it fairly easy. I think losing mapcontrol and units should be punished more.

8 Apr 2014, 07:48 AM

It's no longer a "I MUST GET AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THE ENEMY!" fest

Unless you're Russian, then you must get as close as possible or you won't do a lick of damage. And even then, it's no guarantee of success.
8 Apr 2014, 08:45 AM
Donator 11

I keep on thinking about that, too. There are times where you basically have the upperhand, but do not have the force to rush his base. All he does is wait and call in some more units, there is no real punishment. Comebacks are nothing special anymore... the resource and popcap system make it fairly easy. I think losing mapcontrol and units should be punished more.

8 Apr 2014, 09:08 AM

Nope, but its mostly due to the balance being bit off and only few tactics being viable in early game.

Then you got late game (armor and call-inns) These babies still throw away tactics out the window because they are simply on the field. A tactic enough on its own.

But the game has potential to be very satisfying, both tactically and strategically. That is if Relic does same thing to armor and call-inn units/abilities as they did to infantry with last patch. And reworks a bit importance of map control
8 Apr 2014, 09:12 AM

Idk about this. Snowballs aren't fun at all. On both sides.
8 Apr 2014, 09:48 AM

The capping and resource system wouldn't change back to vCOH style IMO, but I think the popcap should varies to the number of strat point the player hold, making it less possible that one player dominating map control but got owned by a super call in armour, that's totally bullshit, I would say.

Very good point imo.
8 Apr 2014, 09:48 AM

Prior to the patch, I think the BO and tactics were more stale especially with the Soviets. Most were just Conscript starts. Since the patch, I've seen a lot more variety with them. These include T1 and T2 starts along with a sprinkling of Cons.

I also see some variety in German starts but not as much, people tend to play it safer here although I have seen the German snipers more often. Considering we are getting Pio starts, AG starts, and Gren starts, isn't that varied? There really aren't many other options a Deutsch player has, no? We don't *want* HMG starts right? Plus regardless if the aforementioned starts, I see at least one HMG used and sometimes Mortars. Again isn't this varied?

My observations are for 1v1 and 2v2 and based not just on my experiences but in watching mTw streams, Dane, jesulin, Sage, JaminROCK, etc.

There is no question in my mind the game is more tactical now. People who don't use them get punished, as they should.

Still room for improvement but this patch seemed a big step forward. In addition all recent interviews with Relic have them stating the game will continue to be heavily supported, both Eastern Front and Western Armies. Their support to date is superior to their effort in vCoH.

+1
18 Apr 2014, 23:20 PM

I am just asking because i hear this all the time but what i really see since the Patch is:

Germans: Pio spam to SC or Gren spam to SC. 90% of the time

Soviets: Penal spam and sniper spam (T1) and maxim spam. 90% of the time

Is this more tactical depth? In my eyes it is not.
Before the patch you could not tell what would be the BO of the factions.

Caution: I am not saying that the patch was bad. i am only saying that there is something (Balance and someting else) really wrong with the implementation or something.
Rushing to scout car now is almost necessary considering how much damage m3s can do in the hands of a skilled user. At the start of every game I have flashbacks of the times I got buttraped by m3 hordes, and took a blood oath to never be unprepared again.
Neo
18 Apr 2014, 23:27 PM

I also see some variety in German starts but not as much, people tend to play it safer here although I have seen the German snipers more often.

People use BOs that work.

The reason you see Soviet "variety" is that Soviets are struggling to counter OP German units.

The reason you see less German variety is that Germans have BOs that deliver easy wins.

Simple as that in my book.

Having said that, the general direction of the patch is good - they just need to get the balance right now.
19 Apr 2014, 00:48 AM
Donator 11

fools like you ar amusing

the game was a trainwreck before the patch, you just didnt realise it. That mass A-move infantry doesnt work anymore because they actually fixed the game automaticly buffs weapon team spam, sniper spam, or other abuse-focused stats because playing normal requires more skill now.

Now that infantry combat has the basic proper rules in place they can actually start balancing the game instead of bandaiding.
19 Apr 2014, 01:39 AM

Coh2 is finally becoming a great game. Relic has made great progress making the game more deep and interesting. The game is very easy to play but very hard to master. So hard to master that some people cannot see all the subtleties... Some balance issues still need to be patch, yes, but they are close to the goal.

So instead of complaining that the game is too easy or too something. I say, just take the time to adapt to the changes they made and consider it a whole new game. You just have go play vcoh to understand that coh2 is becoming finaly the best game of the family.

For a long time,i had harsh words for Coh2, but the devs did theirs jobs. Now instead of rubbish we have a gem in our hands.

Thank you Relic.

Now my friends and i have return to the auto-match. See you on the field.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 94
France 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment