Login

russian armor

The current state of assault guns

1 Apr 2014, 18:58 PM

Relic already made it clear that they intend to change armored combat in the next patch, but there is one particular area that needs improvement-assault guns. As it stands both the stug3 and su76 are never used because there is no reason to, when you see ether of these vehicles you know they are almost no threat and can out flank and kill them easily. The panzer 4 out performs it in almost every department and t4 for the soviets isn't a very attractive option to tech to. The both the su76 and stug3 are first and for most assault guns they follow and support infantry firing high explosive shells and should act as such. The stug 3 and su76 should both receive a sligh ai boost, not to much where they can wipe squads effortlessly, but enough where they can be useful infantry support. Another suggestion I have is buffing the stug3 health where it can take 4 shots instead of 3 or increase its armor and decrease its health, as it stands the stug3 just isn't a very survivable vehicle. With the su76 I think a at boost is need because as it stands it can barley penetrate a p4 or stug3, its like using a t34, but with an artillery barrage and crappy ai. That is all I can think of for now and I am open to improvements and concerns.
1 Apr 2014, 19:02 PM

I use both of them. What you don't seem to understand is that you need alot of SU-76s say 2,3 to make an effect. When in masse, they can even take on tigers. (Yes i have killed tigers with ONLy su-76s before, su-76 has 93 pen,while t-34 i believe has 80, P IV front armor is 160)
Stugs is what you make when your opponent makes IS-2s, KV-1s or Kv8s.
Stug - you also need 2 of them. They are pretty good againts infantry.
They are just a tad more expensive than the t-34.
Just don't make stugs when your opponent goes t4.

I use both of them and i think they are fine honestly.
The only gun that needs a buff (which it IS getting is the ISU-152)
260 fuel and less pen than the su-85? makes no sense.

1 Apr 2014, 19:04 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I think you are a little too harsh on the good ol' Stug and SU76. They both have good range and good abilities, although they are pretty squishy.
1 Apr 2014, 19:16 PM

I just want them to fill a more specific and unique role. As it stands the stug is a adhoc tank destroyer which its not(although it performed that role really well), target weak point is a nice ability ,but you can get a pak for that and the p4 is faster and has better ai,has a turret, and pretty good at, oh and blitzkrieg . To be frank I cant remember to last time I have seen a stug in game, not to mention how squishy it is. The su76 I can understand it being squshy but it has a range of 70 which helps nullify that, and a really nice and free artillery barrage, but thats it. The su85 has better at and callins for the most part have better at. Not to mention alot of people this patch don't even tech to t4 or even tech at all and hold on for call ins.
1 Apr 2014, 19:22 PM

ImperialDane must not know about this thread.
1 Apr 2014, 19:34 PM

I actually kind of like the SU-76. They are so dirt cheap you can build loads of them and once you've got 3 or more you can actually take on armor pretty well (in conjunction with AT grenades/mines/guards etc) and their barrage makes it easy to lock down parts of the map or put the hurt on infantry as well. You can alternate fire to keep a constant bombardment or have them simultaneously cover a larger area.

But yeah, they have armor you can wrap sandwiches in, so you need to babysit them pretty well.
1 Apr 2014, 20:26 PM

The only one that really needs work is the StuG III E.
1 Apr 2014, 20:38 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Stugs is a really good counter to T34 76s or 85s and a good AT source against heavier soviet tanks.

On the other hand stug-e....

Su76 is a glass cannon. You can make it work but it requires too much babysitting that it´s preferable to make other things.
1 Apr 2014, 23:03 PM

The problem I find with the SU-76M is that whilst its really good at hitting either infantry or tanks from long range it is extremely easy for German tanks to just blitzkrieg in and destroy 3-4 of them in an attack, thanks to the paucity of Soviet counters to German armour.
1 Apr 2014, 23:06 PM

ImperialDane must not know about this thread.

Pssssst, keep it low profile!
1 Apr 2014, 23:08 PM

I laugh when ever I face su76s. I know that I can have my way with it and cost the other side precious fuel. All the drawbacks of an elefant but not of the benefits. I agree that assault guns need a better defined role in coh2 because now they are not earning their keep.
2 Apr 2014, 16:23 PM

I hold that the sole issue with assault guns is that Panther and blitz(for P4 and panther) and ESPECIALLY panther + blitz is so good that assault guns are just way overshadowed.

Germans dont need Stug G because its often just better to tech to the panther because the panther far outclasses the Stug G in every respect. Germans also don't really need an assault gun because of nitro-blitz to get their P4 to the flanks of heavy soviet tanks and a P4 can circle strafe all day while Stug has to fight head on (this could be playstyle/situation dependent on which is better). So in essence germans simply dont really need stug g. It's not that its flawed in itself and is really outclassed by blitzed P4 and Panther.

Soviets SU76 gets MAULED by Panther. A few posts up someone said they had taken out a Tiger with SU-76. Sure, yes, of course you'll take out slow tiger all day. I'd like to see how your SU-76 fair against a Panther, much less a blitzed panther, even much less a blitzed and smoke screened panther. Not to mention SU 76 gets eaten alive by P-Gren shrecks. However, SU76 isn't an awful unit and its cost effectivness especially with free barrage is quite good. It's just a very squishy unit that falls apart quickly if not thoroughly babysitted.
2 Apr 2014, 16:24 PM

I hold that the sole issue with assault guns is that Panther and blitz(for P4 and panther) and ESPECIALLY panther + blitz is so good that assault guns are just way overshadowed.

Germans dont need Stug G because its often just better to tech to the panther because the panther far outclasses the Stug G in every respect. Germans also don't really need an assault gun because of nitro-blitz to get their P4 to the flanks of heavy soviet tanks and a P4 can circle strafe all day while Stug has to fight head on (this could be playstyle/situation dependent on which is better). So in essence germans simply dont really need stug g. It's not that its flawed in itself and is really outclassed by blitzed P4 and Panther.

Soviets SU76 gets MAULED by Panther. A few posts up someone said they had taken out a Tiger with SU-76. Sure, yes, of course you'll take out slow tiger all day. I'd like to see how your SU-76 fair against a Panther, much less a blitzed panther, even much less a blitzed and smoke screened panther. Not to mention SU 76 gets eaten alive by P-Gren shrecks. However, SU76 isn't an awful unit and its cost effectivness especially with free barrage is quite good. It's just a very squishy unit that falls apart quickly if not thoroughly babysitted.
2 Apr 2014, 17:15 PM

I liked how in Vcoh the Panzer IV was a T4 weapon and not T3. So German players went for quick Stug spam while americans went TD or Sherman.

Stugs vs. no Ram T-34/76s would be more interesting tank battles then blitz/smoke Panzer IVs vs. T-34/76s Ram.

Stug III is good situationally like the SU-76. I don't think anybody makes them in every other game.... let alone every game.
2 Apr 2014, 17:25 PM
Caster Badge

There is something wrong with the StuG ?.. Someone needs to tell my StuGs that. I generally get a lot of mileage out of them. The question is how you employ them. They're assault guns. Not tanks. You keep something infront of them to act as a screen. Used like that and when using the range of the StuG it performs well. It's hardly an ostwind when it comes to infantry. But it can usually give a reckless player a swift kick if he plays too loosely.

The StuG has a high RoF, decent penetration. Alright AI (not good) and is reasonably priced. Throw in target weakpoint and currently it's one of my favorite methods for dealing with an IS2. 2 StuGs, and that IS2 will usually find itself in trouble due to the high RoF but also target weakpoint.

And generally you want to have a pair of StuGs roaming together, not too close, but just close enough so they can easily support each other and fire at the same targets.

As for the Su76. That thing is all about numbers. Get 3 of them at least. And then you're having yourself a fun time. The high RoF on these things combined with the barrage ability means you'll be peppering your opponent with shots. and having 3 of them barraging an enemy position can make most opponents a bit nervous. Plus they have 60 range so if you're playing sensibly. You'll be doing your work from range with them. Just ensure there is something to screen them from enemy armour rushing or Panzergrenadiers with panzershrecks. Plus tracking is never a bad ability to have either.

So if you're having trouble with your assault guns. I'd argue the issue lies with you. They're assault guns. Not Heavy tanks. If you're finding them too squishy. Well then you're probably trying to use them like tanks and failing miserably. Don't. Have them support your infantry or your tanks. And get a pair of them. Assault guns perform better that way.
2 Apr 2014, 17:41 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

TARGET WEAKPOINT, TARGET WEAKPOINT!!!
2 Apr 2014, 21:59 PM

Permanently Banned
For me, all weapons in the game, doo a "little funny shot"...

Need more damage (from infantry to tanks) and explosions (bombs, off map artillery, etc)!

Perfect example:

Gustav (rail artillery)...

Look the explosion on youtube, and see in the game...

Put 500muni, but make it more real! Please relic!

EA GAMES BATTLEFIELD NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
2 Apr 2014, 23:44 PM

This is why I support greatly reducing the fuel cost for T3, moving the SU76 into T3, and the T34 into T4. It not only brings the SU76 into battle a little earlier, but it also remedies the Soviet's lack of combined arms in the mid to late game.
3 Apr 2014, 00:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Apr 2014, 21:59 PMBravus

Need more damage (from infantry to tanks) and explosions (bombs, off map artillery, etc)!

Perfectnexample:

EA GAMES BATTLEFIELD NOOOOOO!!!!!!!![/quo

I agree. they need to bring proper physics back to the explosions in the game. the railway art should absolutely decimate infantry and vehicles and blow them half way across the screen]
3 Apr 2014, 00:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Apr 2014, 21:59 PMBravus

Perfectnexample:

EA GAMES BATTLEFIELD NOOOOOO!!!!!!!![/quo

I agree. they need to bring proper physics back to the explosions in the game. the railway art should absolutely decimate infantry and vehicles and blow them half way across the screen]

Same for B-4 howitzer I guess
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 41
unknown 32
Mexico 18
Germany 896

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L