Login

russian armor

So, the new patch sure did some rebalancing

26 Mar 2014, 22:26 PM

Hey guys.

I've played several 1v1s as the Soviets today and a couple as the Germans. I've lost all the Soviet ones, and won the Germans ones [easily]. I could probably vent my frustration about the current state of balance for a while, but instead of that I'd like to offer you this 2v2 replay of my last game of the day. I think the moment where my first armor (double tiger) kills their first armor (t70) pretty much says it all. Also, piospam x_x

To the actual question, then. What does one even do as the Soviets nowadays? If you charge, you die to rifle fire; if you stay in cover - to grenades and mortars. Your ability to harass is hindered by the abundant lmg-grens (g43 grens/agrens etc), AND there are no vehicles, not even m5 and t70 (who decided it would be a good idea, by the way? The US could get a greyhound by the time the 1st pak hit the field). So, apparently my favourite light vehicle rushes are off the table for good. Is there another silver bullet? What is the best non-doctrine-specific way to deal with sudden Whehr early game power? Is there even such a way?

Also, please don't suggest the purchaseable DLC commanders as solutions (as someone did in another thread). That is not a proper solution, that is pay-2-win bullshit :)
26 Mar 2014, 22:49 PM

I now use irregulars. You need to dodge grenades with them constantly but at least they give the grens a run for their money.

I've also seen a lot of people go penal troops. However I am not impressed by their performance in their new, short range, role. They suffer the same fate as ppsh conscripts; they lose too many men to long range LMG42 fire before they can get into effective range.

Honestly I think on big open maps like moscow outskirts, snipers are the only way to go. On maps like that, Range is king. And the germans just gave more range.
27 Mar 2014, 06:14 AM

I've tried messing around with the post-patch penals too. My experience for now shows that their performance alone doesn't justify building t1. They seem to not be able to take on a single gren squad in mid/long range in equal cover, despite the fact they are more expensive. Besides, every game i had in the new patch the opponent built a mortar as their 2nd/3rd unit, and it seems INCREDIBLY effective in light of the current state of affairs. When I'll have some time on my hands I want to try conscripts + early t2 for support weapons build orders instead of t1.

As for snipers - tbh i never liked the soviet sniper to begin with. It might be necessary to resort to them now though, after the backbone infantry took such a performance hit.
27 Mar 2014, 17:05 PM

I played again yesterday for the first game in months, but rustyness aside I found myself stumped against a few things as well.

I had an issue with the enemy just spamming loads of MG42s backed up by some pioneers. Usually I would build T2, then go T3 and get out a T-70 or something to deal with it, but I found myself completely without vehicles since I couldn't afford to get to T3 before I had lost far too much map control.

I did try to use mortars to counter, but they were too unreliable to stop him. I think I could have used smoke from mortars to get in closer with cons, since oo-rah doesn't seem to be as effective as it used to be.

Is it now mandatory/much better to build both T1 and T2 as soviets and delay your T3 even further? I just find that support weapons are tough to deal with without any sort of vehicle to avoid them/have that mobility.
27 Mar 2014, 21:57 PM

Yeah, the lack of reliable midgame light vehicle is really frustrating. For quite some time before the patch i've been experimenting with skipping the Molly-tech and going straight for a fast t-70. Unfortunately, now it seems impossible.
27 Mar 2014, 22:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Mar 2014, 17:05 PMMadeMan
Is it now mandatory/much better to build both T1 and T2 as soviets and delay your T3 even further? I just find that support weapons are tough to deal with without any sort of vehicle to avoid them/have that mobility.

With the state the soviet infantry is in (heavy manpower bleed against upgunned grens) and the high tech cost of T3/T4, the best thing to do is just go for call-ins.
29 Mar 2014, 07:19 AM

Played again for the first time in like 4 months, just to check out the 'March Deployment' XD

Germans seem to have the upper hand in the infantry department, conscripts bleed too much manpower and trade inefficiently vs grens. German Mgs and mortars are a pain to take out. Counter mortars are a soft counter at best. I tried snipers but they shoot too slow vs the human wave of grens. Then the german player just techs to panthers or tigers and wins. SU-85 doesn't counter them anymore. I have yet to try penals, do they still have the armour as conscripts? Why are mines so expensive now? :(
29 Mar 2014, 07:36 AM

Pretty much this game is complete bullshit and balance is none existant toss the game in the trash is my advice
4 Apr 2014, 09:05 AM

Pretty much this game is complete bullshit and balance is none existant toss the game in the trash is my advice

Explain? Cause i'm thinking about going back to the game.

http://www.coh2.org/topic/15979/worth-it-to-come-back-to-the-game
1 May 2014, 04:55 AM
Patrion 15

Explain? Cause i'm thinking about going back to the game.

http://www.coh2.org/topic/15979/worth-it-to-come-back-to-the-game

This post is from before the April patch, back when gren spam and laughable Ostheer imbalance reigned supreme. The April patch has largely fixed the balance problems and the general consensus is that the game is in a better state than ever.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 50
unknown 26
Germany 13
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %