Login

russian armor

Napalms impressions of 1v1 game play

14 Mar 2014, 18:35 PM

Hello internet strangers,

Today I'd like to talk to you about 1v1 game play. Full disclosure, I'm primary a soviet player and would normally play 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4. I've recently been forced into playing 1v1 as my core group of CoH2 buddies have started playing Titanfail.

The good:
- Fairly balanced game play start to mid game. Becomes more challenging late game with superior German armor.
- The people I've played tend to be super polite.
- Once it was obvious who was going to win the late game they'd say GG and terminate the game. Perfect for saving time.
- Unit retention becomes VERY important.
- Less unit spamming. Units are purpose built.

The limiting:
- Tiger spam. I'm assuming this is because this unit is decent against both armor and infantry? Multiple games the foe made more than 5 tigers throughout the game. It's not very dynamic game play and really forced my hand to build SU85's. As such, being a Soviet, T2 and T4 are necessary. Kinda takes the fun out of it a bit.

The bad:
- I've yet to encounter something I'd call unfair or game breaking. Granted, I've yet to play a bunker spammer on crossing the woods.

Overall if you are a player who only does 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 give 1v1 a shot. It's a ton of good fun with little noticeable imbalance.

Coles notes for the reading impaired:

~*Massive update April 1, 2014*~

My opinion has changed and 1v1 are no longer as balanced due to the latest patch. If you are looking at picking up this game for 1v1 play I would not recommend it in the current state. However, if you are looking at rapidly increasing your German 1v1 rank I would highly recommend picking it up.

Is the win sauce. By utilizing a opps we forgot to change the CP for Assault Grens tactic of calling in 3 AG, 2 Pios, and building bunkers outside the opponents base you can successfully cut off the Soviets from resources. Save up your fuel for a Tiger and proceed directly to 'I win'.

Late game armor is getting a redo next patch but we'll see how it goes.
14 Mar 2014, 18:57 PM

I thought you were going to talk about incendiary abilities.
14 Mar 2014, 18:59 PM

Not at all. Have had it used on me many times. If you are on the ball you move out of the flames. Not a big deal.
14 Mar 2014, 19:03 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2014, 18:59 PMNapalm
Not at all. Have had it used on me many times. If you are on the ball you move out of the flames. Not a big deal.

You're talking about in-game right?! :)

Oh and as for the 1v1 play, there's one thing you're missing, when you loose there's no one to blame but yourself, and i'm sure many find that off putting, everyone want's to be good, and denial is a good second best failing that, so having someone to blame helps,.. goddamn noob team loosing me the match!!!!!
14 Mar 2014, 19:09 PM

1v1 is by far the most rewarding game-mode in all CoH. I wish more people would give it a try, but I understand the fear of it.
14 Mar 2014, 19:12 PM

I thought you were going to talk about incendiary abilities.

Well, the title rather says exactly what he meant.

Unless you believe that napalm could be in possession of something :)
14 Mar 2014, 20:00 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Tip: it´s pretty obvious when a Tiger is going to arrive. First sign is doctrine choice, second one is stalling fuel with T1-T2. If he goes for T3 it´s probably that the Tiger will be pretty delayed.

I would say you need T2 OR T4, not both (call in tanks also apply).
14 Mar 2014, 21:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2014, 18:59 PMNapalm

Sigh.

napalm bomb = incendiary abilities
napalms impressions = thoughts about those abilites
napalm's impressions = thoughts of a guy named napalm

I didn't check the creator of the topic before I entered thus the misunderstanding.
14 Mar 2014, 22:18 PM

lol. 5trategos nailed it though. If you haven't tried a 1v1 give it a try.
15 Mar 2014, 04:12 AM

this thread made me realize there are people who actually play things other than 1v1

pig disgusting
15 Mar 2014, 04:15 AM
15 Mar 2014, 04:50 AM

1v1 is by far the most rewarding game-mode in all CoH. I wish more people would give it a try, but I understand the fear of it.

Definitely. I used to play team games all the time in vCoH then eventually "graduated" into playing 1v1s almost exclusively. Games are a lot more tense and the success of the match hinges solely on you and your opponents ability. There is no one else to lay the blame on but yourself if you lose a match. Its the purest form of self-improvement you can get in this game, and any other RTS for that matter.

I too wish more were playing 1v1, it could be a lot more fun facing a wider variety of opponents and strats. But I understand where this "fear" comes from, to be honest I remember thinking 1v1s were boring with literally half the action going on but its much more fun than team games imo.
15 Mar 2014, 06:40 AM

Haven't played recently but I used to do a lot of 1v1s until I got sick and tired of raging at perceived (by me) imbalances in the game. Then I went over to 2v2s... less stress but probably more imbalance, you can't win. :(
15 Mar 2014, 08:23 AM

Definitely. I used to play team games all the time in vCoH then eventually "graduated" into playing 1v1s almost exclusively. Games are a lot more tense and the success of the match hinges solely on you and your opponents ability. There is no one else to lay the blame on but yourself if you lose a match. Its the purest form of self-improvement you can get in this game, and any other RTS for that matter.

I too wish more were playing 1v1, it could be a lot more fun facing a wider variety of opponents and strats. But I understand where this "fear" comes from, to be honest I remember thinking 1v1s were boring with literally half the action going on but its much more fun than team games imo.

I guess its about personal preferences. I started with the team games, then graduated to 1v1.

Eventually, I got bored of 1v1 because I find it very repetitive and doing same thing over and over again for a quick win and rank up. Even when I used to play 1v1, after that, it would be exclusively basic match where I can chose good opponent.
Went back to teamgames. 3v3's and 4v4's in VCOH were awesome because you could create very even and balanced game. (long wait if you don't have friends tho)

COH2, I play mostly 2v2 because 3v3's and 4v4's are just awful with automatch mismatch and spamming call-in supertanks/abilities. It just feels like one big explosion that starts around 10 minute mark, and doesn't stop ever. Not my thing at all.
Find COH2 1v1 even more boring than VCOH.
But that's just me, I just don't find it super fun
15 Mar 2014, 11:29 AM

Anyone thinking hyper consspam to callin is balanced is clearly out of their mind.
15 Mar 2014, 14:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2014, 11:29 AMPorygon
Anyone thinking hyper consspam to callin is balanced is clearly out of their mind.

And gren spam with a pak or two until tiger spam is fine?
If it is, why one is fine and other not?
You will not get far on cons alone, you will have to get T2, because you will not survive until delayed call-ins.
15 Mar 2014, 14:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2014, 14:45 PMKatitof

Gren spam is a reaction to PPSh cons spam.
15 Mar 2014, 16:17 PM

The obvious solution is to make Conscripts 2 CP and remove oorah and the molotov. Soviets should only have engineers start game.
15 Mar 2014, 16:26 PM

COH2, I play mostly 2v2 because 3v3's and 4v4's are just awful with automatch mismatch and spamming call-in supertanks/abilities. It just feels like one big explosion that starts around 10 minute mark, and doesn't stop ever. Not my thing at all.
Find COH2 1v1 even more boring than VCOH.

I'd argue that call-in superhero units are still pretty present in 2v2, just less likely than the other modes. Got stomped by two pretty good German players using elite troops and calling in King Tigers at the same time last night. If you are USTZ give me a message and we can game it up.
15 Mar 2014, 16:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2014, 14:45 PMKatitof

You will not get far on cons alone, you will have to get T2, because you will not survive until delayed call-ins.

LOL, I played like this since beta, T2?
http://www.coh2.org/topic/5365/strat-the-motherland-needs-no-strat.-just-go-and-fight

Good luck playing grensspam to Tiger against Soviet T1T4
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 27
unknown 2
unknown 6
United States 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L