Login

russian armor

(2-4) Donbass Strategic Offensive

7 Mar 2014, 14:44 PM
Donator 11

I'm finally releasing this map to be played by everyone, feedback is highly appreciated as always :)

Little story: The Donbass Strategic Offensive was a strategic operation of the Red Army
on the Eastern Front of World War II
with the goal of liberating Donbass

The map is on steam workshop, here's the link

Here is the tactical map

Here's some pics from the map:

29 Mar 2014, 10:31 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I just had a look at your map in-game, for the map-making contest.

Firstly the map feels too large for 1v1 matches, because the map itself is large. This is compounded by the base locations which are right on the corners of the map. NIce cutoff points though, and the map is balanced with regards to resource points. The middle VP looks closer to the northern player.

The southern base looks too small for a 2v2. The northern base is large enough but the bunker on the right's arc barely intersects with the hedgerow on the left. My guess is that you could run troops around the arc into the base before getting suppressed.

The map is quite different from most others- a lot of line-of-sight blockers, tight corners, narrow roads, et cetera. This seems to affect vehicle pathing, especially around the south VP and in the VP itself. I haven't tested pathing around the rest of the map, like in the forest near the middle-north, but trees tend to mess up pathing as well. On the flipside the line of sight blockers would probably make for interesting gameplay, ambushes, and the like. Short range units would probably dominate, and SU85s/Snipers/Elefant/ISU would be rather useless except the smallish area around the north VP. There looks to be very little cover around the red-cover roads as well- bushes or fences lining the road would be nice.

Nice use of the flame effects around the north VP as well. The terrain could do with more undulation- as it is currently it feels very flat, which would go well with wider, shallower rivers aesthetically. The narrow rivers and roads, plus the forest, look more hilly in my opinion.

The black void is visible at the edges of the map. Other than that the map looks quite good, though the terrain seems quite monotonous in colour (all green in the south).

Just my two cents :)
29 Mar 2014, 23:36 PM
Donator 11

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Can i still update the map?
30 Mar 2014, 00:30 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2014, 23:36 PMSirlami
Thanks a lot for the feedback! Can i still update the map?

Sure you can, phase 1 of the map making contest only ends on the 11th of April.

http://www.coh2.org/news/15402/community-map-making-contest-official-announcement
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 59
unknown 18
Germany 14
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %