Login

russian armor

PC Upgrade

2 Mar 2014, 11:34 AM

Hi guys;
I'm running Coh2 at medium graphics with the following PC features:
- AMD Quad core 3,2 Ghz on AM3+ Motherboard
- 8 GB Ram DDR3 with 64bit Win7 Proffesional
- Graphic card: ATI Powercolor 6790 (http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=649&card2=)

I would like to play COH2 at high graphics (not needed max settings) but I still don't know what feature improve to get better performance. Can you guys help me?

With my PC I can run it at high graphics but game is not confortable to play (It's not smooth) and I feel my micromanagement gets worse.

I need some kind of feedback about what kind of pc resource is more important to run Coh2 (Ram, Processor, Graphic card).

Thank you very much =)

edit:
I have to say that, a friend of mine gave me a graphic card to test it with the game. I installed Geforce GTX 295 but when running at high settings game was not running smooth.
Here you can compare the graphic card improvement that I tested: http://www.hwcompare.com/10006/geforce-gtx-295-vs-radeon-hd-6790/
5 Mar 2014, 14:33 PM

Anyone playing at high graphics can expose here what are his PC/graphic card specifications? Thanks.
5 Mar 2014, 15:26 PM
Donator 22

I recently upgraded my dual core 3.0ghz gtx460 system to a quad core i5 3.2ghz and gtx760. My old pc struggled on medium settings but my new pc runs well on high settings. your processor should be fine so if your after better performance the graphics card is the best upgrade.

5 Mar 2014, 15:52 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

COH2 runs great. No fuss, no muss. Sounds like you just need a meatier video card, boss.
5 Mar 2014, 16:49 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Yep, need moar video card.

You'll need to look at the $300+ price point if you want high settings. Something like a GTX 770. Unfortunately AMD card pricing is f'd at the moment due to bitcoin mining so Nvidia is your best bet.
5 Mar 2014, 17:44 PM

Yeah, I'm running similar - but slightly lower specs on my machine and my GFX Card is a Radeon 5770-series.

Lately I've been thinking about upgrading but I'm getting a lot of mixed signals about what's more important to actual performance increases.

ATM I have COH2 at low on everything and I can't even run it in 1080p. Even then I have framedips below 25-30. I know this is because my GPU is 3 years old but at a glance the newer GPU's (like R270 for example) don't seem to be such a big bump up in terms of comparisons on sites as the one linked to above.

Then at other places I read about how super amazing intels processors are for gaming. So is it all down to the GFX-card? Because I would really want to be at 1080p with high on everything since I spend most of my gaming time in this game.

Tips? Hints? Advice? Clarifications?
5 Mar 2014, 18:18 PM
Donator 22

Yeah, I'm running similar - but slightly lower specs on my machine and my GFX Card is a Radeon 5770-series.

Lately I've been thinking about upgrading but I'm getting a lot of mixed signals about what's more important to actual performance increases.

ATM I have COH2 at low on everything and I can't even run it in 1080p. Even then I have framedips below 25-30. I know this is because my GPU is 3 years old but at a glance the newer GPU's (like R270 for example) don't seem to be such a big bump up in terms of comparisons on sites as the one linked to above.

Then at other places I read about how super amazing intels processors are for gaming. So is it all down to the GFX-card? Because I would really want to be at 1080p with high on everything since I spend most of my gaming time in this game.

A gfx card like a gtx760 would increase performance massively compared to the 5770. The cpu is important but if you have an average quad core cpu that should be fine.
5 Mar 2014, 21:22 PM

My tip is this:

Upgrade your computer with other games in mind. CoH2 is possibly the worst optimized AAA title ever released. So if you want to spend $1.2k or more on a computer that also runs games like Battlefield, Arma 3, Assassins Creed, War Thunder, Rome 2, Watch Dogs, etc. then go for it! But I would never even consider spending that much just to run CoH2.

If you've played hundreds of hours already and you absolutely love it, then go ahead. But IMO unless you are making this upgrade to also play some other titles, I think you would be better off spending that kind of money on a nice vacation, spoiling your girlfriend, more clothes, or on any other hobby like sports, cars, music, etc.
5 Mar 2014, 22:25 PM

Your CPU is fine for now, I have an hd6970 that can be had for a steal if your willing to buy used (there are great deals on ebay). It runs the game on ultra and handles everything I have been able to throw at it. In my experience it is always better to buy used older gen high performance than middle of the road current gen. The 6970 is great for eyefinity as well if multi-monitor is as important to you as it is to me.
6 Mar 2014, 07:32 AM

My tip is this:

Upgrade your computer with other games in mind. CoH2 is possibly the worst optimized AAA title ever released. So if you want to spend $1.2k or more on a computer that also runs games like Battlefield, Arma 3, Assassins Creed, War Thunder, Rome 2, Watch Dogs, etc. then go for it! But I would never even consider spending that much just to run CoH2.

If you've played hundreds of hours already and you absolutely love it, then go ahead. But IMO unless you are making this upgrade to also play some other titles, I think you would be better off spending that kind of money on a nice vacation, spoiling your girlfriend, more clothes, or on any other hobby like sports, cars, music, etc.

Thanks this kinda makes senseto me. I sometimes give the big AAA titles a try (AC, batman games, Rome) but I'm always super-dissapointed and almost never finish them because they reveal themselves as one-dimensional garbage. AC Liberation comes to mind here. In many ways Rome II as well. So most of my gaming hours are spent in COH1&2 and FM. With the exception of a few weeks per year I don't really have time to play a lot at all so that's why I've been happy with my rig all this time. Although some more detail and higher FPS would be nice, this right now is horrendous.

maskedmonkey: I've looked into this as well, and I might stick around until a friend can get me a hand-me-down for a knock down price. Also looks very good in terms of what you get for the money.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★