Login

russian armor

How to counter Soviet Sniper heavy strat + Guard combo

26 Feb 2014, 08:37 AM

As per title. I am having troubles playing against this strategy. I am able to do fairly ok against it in 1v1 but I have not won a game when Soviet player used this opening in 2v2 after recent patch.
Problem is this build is present in 85% of 2v2 games I play recently so any help would be more than welcome. I tried everything with minor success to put it mildly.
Even if I manage to survive into the mid game I am usually so far behind that I am unable to win.
26 Feb 2014, 09:53 AM

Give camo G43 Gren a try, sounds like a most effective option.
26 Feb 2014, 10:26 AM

Most of the times I just try to force a retreat and cut their retreat path with G43 grens or try to ambush them with G43s using truesight. If I'm in panic mode I even get a munitions cache up. Also you need to time your attacks well, no use sending in single squads to harass the sniper.

Couple of G43 grens usually snipe them quickly. But yeah, they are annoying to deal with. You'll just have to be patient and not get frustrated even if you get behind in tech. Protect your teammate's PaKs from snipers while spamming G43 grens and you'll eventually get decent tanks out.
26 Feb 2014, 10:35 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Here are some ideas:
  • Osttruppen + HT. Osttruppen are dirt cheap and reinforce faster than the snipers can kill them.
  • Mortar Halftrack. A gamble, but the incendiary round can do the trick.
  • Snipers. Obviously risky, but if you can keep them from getting counter-sniped you can deal a ton of MP damage by shooting at elite infantry and the occasional enemy sniper. The explosive round can insta-gib a sniper squad, if you're lucky. If you use Elite Troops, just vet your sniper immediately.
26 Feb 2014, 11:19 AM

I think regular mortars to chase them around with fire (and usually eventually kill them), early game scout cars, and flanks covering their retreat path are the answer.
2 Mar 2014, 08:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Feb 2014, 09:53 AMPorygon
Give camo G43 Gren a try, sounds like a most effective option.

The problem is, G43s are at 3 cps. Snipers have a good 6-8 mins of free trolling time on the field before G43s arrive.
2 Mar 2014, 10:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Mar 2014, 08:38 AMTNrg

The problem is, G43s are at 3 cps. Snipers have a good 6-8 mins of free trolling time on the field before G43s arrive.

Camo bonus is quite enough to kill the snipers.
Get your own sniper hiding for more success rate.

What piss me off is if the sniper in a clown car, you cannot countersnipe it. If it works like PE IHT, the sniper inside should be instantly wipe out, but it is not.
2 Mar 2014, 12:28 PM

Doesn't garrisoning troops in a clown car work exactly the same as garrisoning them in a building? Meaning you have a 50% hit rate? I've sniper shrek squads out of HT's before. So presumably it does work. The other thing is: If you can kill the clown car, the snipers normally die in the explosion - so I would say mines or fausts would be your best bet, but I'm just theory crafting.
2 Mar 2014, 19:53 PM
Patrion 15

If you can flank one or two of them with a pgren or pio squad by being sneaky and using TLOS losing even one sniper squad is devastating.
3 Mar 2014, 08:20 AM

best counter? imo just play soviets if you dont feel like playing against an incredibly gimmicky play styles. give in, cross over to the dark side.

but yeah there are a few good tips in here on how to deal with the snipers. you might not outright kill them but if you lure them out into red cover and hit 1 of the 2 guys with whatever you can (in red cover even a pio is enough) it's still 90mp per soldier to reinforce and takes a shitload of time. if he stays on the field with 1 guy he will fire extremely slowly so you can still come out on top in the MP war.
4 Mar 2014, 07:39 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

You force the opponent to make a mistake basically.

Best aproaches are to not engage the scoutcarsniper on the first minutes till quick T2 or try to perform a flank from behind with a gren.

Anyway, the only strat for early game i see working is using Osstruppen.
When using SC/HT/MHT be wary that a quick T34 may prove to be disastrous if no proper AT.
5 Mar 2014, 08:10 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Here's a replay where my teammate and I faced some early sniper-heavy play and managed to kill them all before they got out of control. It's probably 40% skill, 30% luck, and 30% mistakes from the other players, but at the very least you get to enjoy seeing a whole bunch of dead snipers (ours included) and a cheesy strat backfiring horribly ;)
11 Mar 2014, 07:59 AM

As per title. I am having troubles playing against this strategy. I am able to do fairly ok against it in 1v1 but I have not won a game when Soviet player used this opening in 2v2 after recent patch.
Problem is this build is present in 85% of 2v2 games I play recently so any help would be more than welcome. I tried everything with minor success to put it mildly.
Even if I manage to survive into the mid game I am usually so far behind that I am unable to win.

I usually use this strategy ( 2 snipers at opening ) when playing russian.
if germans send me AG or grenadier, mg , mortor, it's good for me.
but if they send me pio spam or ostruppen spam, i am fucked up.
their horde is like a zombies, if i kill 1 or 2 pio units or ostruppen, it's nothing.
11 Mar 2014, 12:04 PM

I am sick and tired of this 2vs2 soviet strat. I really hope Relic will fix this issue, one way or another.

Why should I even consider having to use a commander to deal with snipers? And why should the answer to this strat even be spamming some sort of unit? Ostheer either needs a dedicated anti sniper unit in T1 or some other solution. Sure, it is beatable, but it is starting to get lame, boring and even frustrating at times. In 2vs2, it doesn't hurt the opponent to lose a sniper squad every once in a while as long as his mate helps him fill in the gap. I really hate how lots of CoH2 strats are actually just abusing some units power to the max.

IMHO, snipers should not be able to get in to M3's or M5's. They should be a slow unit, having to watch their step, cover and cloaking. Not cruising around the battlefield, picking off units like at a turkeyshoot...
11 Mar 2014, 13:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Mar 2014, 12:04 PMDerBaer

IMHO, snipers should not be able to get in to M3's or M5's. They should be a slow unit, having to watch their step, cover and cloaking. Not cruising around the battlefield, picking off units like at a turkeyshoot...

agreed
11 Mar 2014, 21:37 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I primarily play 1v1 games and consider myself a reasonably skilled player (rank ~1150 as German) but have encountered roadblocks against a double sniper (with guards to counter T2 vehicles) opening and a triple maxim + mortar opening.

T1 as Germans offers few effective counters to two soviet snipers. Mortars quickly need to move, as frontline grenadiers quickly become ineffective in combat. MGs are a risk; with four men, they are just like grenadiers, but must retreat for fear of the MG42 falling into the enemy's hands.
In T1, a sniper is really the best option. Firing literally one shot at a time and moving to a different location and shooting in response to the Soviet snipers is the only way. The tip said about vetting the sniper and using the incendiary round is a good idea!

A sniper in a scout car is B.S. It should have accuracy penalties even when stationary (assuming that the soldier must stand, rather than crouch or prone to shoot).
I put a German sniper in a 250 HT and got flanked by some shock troops.
Unfortunately, there is no "cower inside the vehicle" button, so he took a few too many PPsH rounds in the face...

As it is right now, the best thing one can do when there are 2+ snipers on the field is to play a non-aggressive game and push at multiple locations simultaneously and pressure cutoffs.
Wait for your enemy to mess up or T34 rush your base. If you just wasted your fuel on a scout car and an HT that gets destroyed by guards and an AT gun and you see 3 T34s coming for you, pray that the one teller mine you layed (instead of getting a med bunker or LMG42s) and the one pak gun and the 25 muni you have for a panzerfaust can hold back the T34 horde.
Snipers must be why Germany lost the war...
20 Mar 2014, 11:52 AM

best counter? imo just play soviets if you dont feel like playing against an incredibly gimmicky play styles. give in, cross over to the dark side.

but yeah there are a few good tips in here on how to deal with the snipers. you might not outright kill them but if you lure them out into red cover and hit 1 of the 2 guys with whatever you can (in red cover even a pio is enough) it's still 90mp per soldier to reinforce and takes a shitload of time. if he stays on the field with 1 guy he will fire extremely slowly so you can still come out on top in the MP war.

Yeah that's a good plan, then you can wonder how to deal with ostruppen start followed by pgren spam with halftrack reinforcements on your cut off, good luck using your sniper, that things out within a couple minutes and you have almost zero map control.
20 Mar 2014, 16:54 PM

I can tell you as a user of this strategy that the best counter is actually grenadiers.

Grenadiers have the rifle grenade to begin with, the hard counter to snipers. Secondly their long range firepower causes significant damage to snipers out of cover and also are the chepest unit to reinforce that aren't engies.

Assuming the Soviet player is relying almost entirely on snipers for AI then simply blob a few grens together and walk forwar: when the snipers are forced out of their cover to fall back the grens will fire at the sniper which will likely heavily damage of kill an entity, forcing the retreat/getting the kill.

The light vehicle rush is expected, get 1 FHT maybe and don't fall for the trap of spending all your fuel trying to counter their snipers mid game with light vehicles. Use the HT to reinforce your grens as they move forward, this is more effective than trying to rush the FHT in which will more than likely result in a dead FHT.
25 Mar 2014, 15:14 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I can tell you as a user of this strategy that the best counter is actually grenadiers.

Grenadiers have the rifle grenade to begin with, the hard counter to snipers. Secondly their long range firepower causes significant damage to snipers out of cover and also are the chepest unit to reinforce that aren't engies.

Assuming the Soviet player is relying almost entirely on snipers for AI then simply blob a few grens together and walk forwar: when the snipers are forced out of their cover to fall back the grens will fire at the sniper which will likely heavily damage of kill an entity, forcing the retreat/getting the kill.

The light vehicle rush is expected, get 1 FHT maybe and don't fall for the trap of spending all your fuel trying to counter their snipers mid game with light vehicles. Use the HT to reinforce your grens as they move forward, this is more effective than trying to rush the FHT in which will more than likely result in a dead FHT.

Thank you so very much <444>3
Maybe now I will refrain from destroying my desktop :) Still waiting for that update scheduled for today... when will it come? We shall see.
25 Mar 2014, 16:32 PM
Benefactor 355

Fighting sniper + guard build is a bit tricky, especially if you are dealing with a player with a decent micro. The way I try to deal with them is through a gren heavy play (with G43s ofc). Two snipers are a big burden for the Russian player as far as capping is concerned. You need to take a full advantage of it. Scatter your grens across the map and harass his fuel and cutoffs and keep retreating (softly if possible) in case you encounter snipers. If you manage to cut off his resource supply for a while you would be able to outech him. In case you don't outtech him, you might need to revert to some tricky play with scout cars/ FHTs. A single good scout car flank is good for solving the sniper problem. I have recently watched a game on Helping Hans stream where he used scout cars rather intelligently to deal with annoying Katyushas. This kind of play is also effective vs snipers. The game was casted by ImperialDane as well. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK1lNXK0Mas
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS